Is taxation slavery?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:17:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/7/2014 8:01:44 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I support a ten percent income tax, but nothing more.

Flat tax on everyone on every dollar or what?
My work here is, finally, done.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:24:20 PM

Don't you think it is a bit hyperbolic to call taxation "slavery"? Personally, I would have to say that your ten percent tax, apart from being quite arbitrary, in quite a number of countries, would not be enough.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:26:48 PM
At 10/7/2014 8:24:20 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Don't you think it is a bit hyperbolic to call taxation "slavery"? Personally, I would have to say that your ten percent tax, apart from being quite arbitrary, in quite a number of countries, would not be enough.

Hyberbolic it may be, but there is truth to it.
However, what is more fascinating is that he thinks it is slavery, yet condones it.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:30:27 PM
At 10/7/2014 8:26:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Hyberbolic it may be, but there is truth to it.
However, what is more fascinating is that he thinks it is slavery, yet condones it.

Indeed, but it seemed a bit mean to point that out, comrade. Anyway, I know people don't like to pay tax but it is better than the alternative.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:52:25 PM

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 8:53:30 PM
At 10/7/2014 8:52:25 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Would you mind explaining why you draw the limit at ten percent? Or is it just an arbitrary figure.

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:31:11 AM

Looking at the OP, is breathing slavery? Yes...you are a slave to your biology.

I.e., the question you're asking is a trivial non-sequitor without meaning.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:52:55 AM

This may be a stereotype, but apparently the countries that are doing their best at the moment have extremely high taxes, almost 50%. But they are worth the benefits because citizens are provided free health care and even college/university education is free.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:35:06 PM
At 10/8/2014 6:52:55 AM, Defro wrote:

This may be a stereotype, but apparently the countries that are doing their best at the moment have extremely high taxes, almost 50%. But they are worth the benefits because citizens are provided free health care and even college/university education is free.

Correlation =/= Causation.
I'd say the reason they are doing so well is because they are booming, and taxes are high to keep up with growth (roads, immigration, etc.).

If people are in poverty, you can't tax like crazy. Think of Robin Hood.
rruthbj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 3:58:35 AM
Taxation is the citizens of a nation sharing the burden of running a government. You cannot run a government without money to fix things and help people. We, as citizens, should welcome the pleasure of helping to run this fine country. Taxation is not a great burden when compared with living in Haiti without passable roads, buildings that are not rebuilt when some force of nature knocks them down and people live in dusty tents without running water or electricity. We are a very spoiled country who no longer understands how privileged we are. But those privileges come with costs. Taxes are part of those costs. I willingly pay my taxes as I know they go towards making my life easier. And my husband and I pay a lot of taxes because I have no dependents.
Rrj