Jump to topic:

What does rioting accomplish?

Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 11:48:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Forgive me if I seem the slightest bit racist here, but everyone rioting in St. Louis and Ferguson in the name of "Justice/fairness/equality/anti-police brutality/_______" is a freaking Grade A moron.

How can you take a group of people, and their agenda seriously when all the do is incite violence, hatred and ignorance. I was watching the news just now and the newest mantra for the Ferguson crowd is "no justice, no peace" even though that none of those people where there that day and are in any way capable, responsible or knowledgeable enough to claim what "Justice" is. That's the job of the Judge and jury that oversee Michael Brown's case, and this new cases that just popped a few days ago.

What if the Judges find the evidence points to Brown assaulting Wilson and was justified in shooting him? Will that crowd accept it as "justice" ? Nope. They already made up their minds and if by golly they don't get their way, they'll just set stuff on fire, loot all the 7/11s, grab a new TV on the way out and maybe take a couple of pot shots at a few cops.

How can you take these people seriously when they act like complete animals? It'd be like someone taking a chainsaw to a nursery in the name of abortion rights or someone shooting up Bloomberg's silly Mom's group in the name of gun rights? It's just complete lunacy.

If I'm wrong on any of this feel free to enlighten me because thinking about this makes me hemorrhage sanity.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 10:31:51 PM
At 10/10/2014 11:48:19 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
Forgive me if I seem the slightest bit racist here, but everyone rioting in St. Louis and Ferguson in the name of "Justice/fairness/equality/anti-police brutality/_______" is a freaking Grade A moron.

How can you take a group of people, and their agenda seriously when all the do is incite violence, hatred and ignorance. I was watching the news just now and the newest mantra for the Ferguson crowd is "no justice, no peace" even though that none of those people where there that day and are in any way capable, responsible or knowledgeable enough to claim what "Justice" is. That's the job of the Judge and jury that oversee Michael Brown's case, and this new cases that just popped a few days ago.

What if the Judges find the evidence points to Brown assaulting Wilson and was justified in shooting him? Will that crowd accept it as "justice" ? Nope. They already made up their minds and if by golly they don't get their way, they'll just set stuff on fire, loot all the 7/11s, grab a new TV on the way out and maybe take a couple of pot shots at a few cops.

How can you take these people seriously when they act like complete animals? It'd be like someone taking a chainsaw to a nursery in the name of abortion rights or someone shooting up Bloomberg's silly Mom's group in the name of gun rights? It's just complete lunacy.

If I'm wrong on any of this feel free to enlighten me because thinking about this makes me hemorrhage sanity.

Just because stupid people are angry doesn't mean you shouldn't be.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 8:25:49 AM
At 10/10/2014 10:31:51 PM, Wocambs wrote:

See, I would be on their side if they didn't act like complete animals.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:22:44 AM
At 10/11/2014 8:25:49 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

So you're on the side of the brutal police? Look at the beam in your own eye.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 7:15:28 AM
At 10/12/2014 8:22:44 AM, Wocambs wrote:

See the thing is, every encounter with police I've ever had, and I've had quite a few (no, I'm not a criminal or delinquent) have gone smooth and event-free. Very rarely will a cop act brutally for no reason.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 8:17:47 AM
At 10/13/2014 7:15:28 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

See the thing is, every encounter with police I've ever had, and I've had quite a few (no, I'm not a criminal or delinquent) have gone smooth and event-free. Very rarely will a cop act brutally for no reason.

Do you really think that your personal experience as a mentally stable white person of presumably conservative appearance should negate what appears to be a great wealth of empirical evidence pointing to the readiness with which the police forces of certain (many, most?) deploy violence? As far as I am aware the widespread police brutality in America cannot be denied unless you think that it is legitimate to use force against anyone who does not show unquestioning obedience. No doubt you will ask 'But why wouldn't anyone show unquestioning obedience?'. The answer is simply that they are not required to by law. You are required to obey the law, not police officers.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 8:52:15 AM
At 10/13/2014 8:17:47 AM, Wocambs wrote:

Do you really think that your personal experience as a mentally stable white person of presumably conservative appearance should negate what appears to be a great wealth of empirical evidence pointing to the readiness with which the police forces of certain (many, most?) deploy violence? As far as I am aware the widespread police brutality in America cannot be denied unless you think that it is legitimate to use force against anyone who does not show unquestioning obedience. No doubt you will ask 'But why wouldn't anyone show unquestioning obedience?'. The answer is simply that they are not required to by law. You are required to obey the law, not police officers.

In most states, it actually is unlawful to disobey a LAWFUL order from a cop. And in actuality, police brutality only applies to about 1-2% of cops. So no, I don't believe it's that big a deal and no, I am not on the side of the animals

http://quietmike.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:01:14 AM

I know! Tell the police they can have a free TV too.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:11:03 AM
At 10/13/2014 8:52:15 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 10/13/2014 8:17:47 AM, Wocambs wrote:

In most states, it actually is unlawful to disobey a LAWFUL order from a cop. And in actuality, police brutality only applies to about 1-2% of cops. So no, I don't believe it's that big a deal and no, I am not on the side of the animals

http://quietmike.org...

Disobeying a lawful order = disobeying the law, so yes, I guarantee that it's illegal to disobey lawful orders under every conception of law that could possibly exist. What I was referring to is disobedience towards extrajudicial demands, which American police apparently expect you to comply with.

What I don't understand is why you conservatives are so keen to ignore your own favourite philosopher, Jesus Christ. I have seen Fox excuse police brutality by stating that gang violence is far worse. You don't have to be on the side of the people you dehumanise to criticise police violence - in fact, if you don't, then you're a hypocrite, a Jesus famously explained. You can't call them "animals" and at the same time ignore your own crimes, or the crimes of the people you support, particularly when the very source you gave states that police officers commit more assaults, sexual assaults and murders than the general public as a proportion of the population - they also have half the conviction rate, again according to the source you gave.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:13:00 AM
At 10/13/2014 9:01:14 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

I know! Tell the police they can have a free TV too.

Are you another hypocritical authority-lover?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:35:32 AM

Lmao @ thinking your experience as a white guy is going to be the same as the experience of a PoC when dealing with the police.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 9:28:38 PM
At 10/13/2014 9:35:32 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lmao @ thinking your experience as a white guy is going to be the same as the experience of a PoC when dealing with the police.

It will be if the act the same way.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 9:45:27 PM
At 10/14/2014 9:28:38 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

How exactly would I act "Black" around cops?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 10:10:19 AM

Except for the fact as evidenced over the years (through both countless personal reports and through empirical data), this is manifestly false.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:09:53 AM
At 10/14/2014 9:45:27 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

How exactly would I act "Black" around cops?

It's not so much as acting black as it is acting rude. Cops are very reciprocating. Act like a douche, so will they. Act polite, so will they.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:11:32 AM
At 10/15/2014 10:10:19 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Except for the fact as evidenced over the years (through both countless personal reports and through empirical data), this is manifestly false.

Personal reports can't be taken as fact, I could get you a few million personal reports of alien abductions, and any source of "data" doesn't cover how each party acts. It only covers how the cop acts. You don't know who acts like an @ss and when.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 3:08:20 PM
At 10/16/2014 11:11:32 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

Personal reports can't be taken as fact, I could get you a few million personal reports of alien abductions, and any source of "data" doesn't cover how each party acts. It only covers how the cop acts. You don't know who acts like an @ss and when.

Acting like an "@ss" isn't cause for an arrest and detainment. Yet PoC are arrested and detained at a far more disproportionate rate (and given much harsher sentences) than whites for the same crimes. It's been show whites sell more drugs, yet blacks are arrested and detained at a far higher rate. That is just a small example of the racism in the judicial system. Are you suggesting blacks act like an "@ss" more often than whites which is why they are arrested more for selling drugs (in thise case)?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 1:03:30 AM
At 10/16/2014 3:08:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Acting like an "@ss" isn't cause for an arrest and detainment. Yet PoC are arrested and detained at a far more disproportionate rate (and given much harsher sentences) than whites for the same crimes. It's been show whites sell more drugs, yet blacks are arrested and detained at a far higher rate. That is just a small example of the racism in the judicial system. Are you suggesting blacks act like an "@ss" more often than whites which is why they are arrested more for selling drugs (in thise case)?

Depending on how it plays out, it could be, and I was talking more on a personal level anyway. But if you want to get into the broad spectrum of things, show me where you got your information.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 11:25:35 AM
At 10/17/2014 1:03:30 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

Depending on how it plays out, it could be, and I was talking more on a personal level anyway. But if you want to get into the broad spectrum of things, show me where you got your information.

http://www.brookings.edu...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 11:33:48 AM
It's not something people are trying to "accomplish", it's a very clear and loud signal that something is seriously f-ed up in a community...
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 4:45:03 PM
At 10/18/2014 11:33:48 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
It's not something people are trying to "accomplish", it's a very clear and loud signal that something is seriously f-ed up in a community...

I get that, but they're doing it in such a manner that isolates them and stereotypes them as animals. Seriously. Who tries to point out "injustice and crime" with. . . . . . . . . . Injustice and crime.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 5:07:12 PM
At 10/18/2014 11:25:35 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Ok, there's a lot of things I find here that don't seem right.

"As for drug use, just 10 percent of blacks report using illegal drugs within the last month, which is not statistically different than the rate for whites. Among college students, 25 percent of whites reported illegal drug use within the last month but just 20 percent of black students. I find a higher percentage of whites than blacks report ever consuming illegal drugs."

This whole study is dependent on self-reporting criminal activity. Can you seriously expect that EVERYONE told the truth on that survey? I doubt it, especially considering that the topic at hand was illegal drug use.

"This was consistent with a 1989 survey of youth in Boston. My own analysis of data from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that 6.6 percent of white adolescents and young adults (aged 12 to 25) sold drugs, compared to just 5.0 percent of blacks (a 32 percent difference)."

The population of whites in this country is way higher than the population of blacks. If the population of blacks in this country where the same as whites, and the percentages stayed the same, there'd be a 1.6% difference.Whoop-dee-doo. So yeah, as far as whole numbers go, whites do more drugs. But blacks commit WAY more murder than whites. Way more.
http://www.cdc.gov...

So you look at that for a second. If HALF of all black men from 10-24 have committed murder, and you, as an LEO are interacting with inner city black men aged 10-24, there's a 50% chance the black men you're interacting with, have killed someone. That means there's a possibility that 50% of them might try to kill you for doing your job. So I'd rather try to keep myself alive then bend over backwards to make sure that they feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

And you wonder why 1 in 3 black young men are predicted to spend time in a penitentiary.
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 7:10:23 PM
At 10/18/2014 5:07:12 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 10/18/2014 11:25:35 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Ok, there's a lot of things I find here that don't seem right.

"As for drug use, just 10 percent of blacks report using illegal drugs within the last month, which is not statistically different than the rate for whites. Among college students, 25 percent of whites reported illegal drug use within the last month but just 20 percent of black students. I find a higher percentage of whites than blacks report ever consuming illegal drugs."

This whole study is dependent on self-reporting criminal activity. Can you seriously expect that EVERYONE told the truth on that survey? I doubt it, especially considering that the topic at hand was illegal drug use.

"This was consistent with a 1989 survey of youth in Boston. My own analysis of data from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that 6.6 percent of white adolescents and young adults (aged 12 to 25) sold drugs, compared to just 5.0 percent of blacks (a 32 percent difference)."

The population of whites in this country is way higher than the population of blacks. If the population of blacks in this country where the same as whites, and the percentages stayed the same, there'd be a 1.6% difference.Whoop-dee-doo. So yeah, as far as whole numbers go, whites do more drugs. But blacks commit WAY more murder than whites. Way more.
http://www.cdc.gov...

So you look at that for a second. If HALF of all black men from 10-24 have committed murder, and you, as an LEO are interacting with inner city black men aged 10-24, there's a 50% chance the black men you're interacting with, have killed someone. That means there's a possibility that 50% of them might try to kill you for doing your job. So I'd rather try to keep myself alive then bend over backwards to make sure that they feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

And you wonder why 1 in 3 black young men are predicted to spend time in a penitentiary.

You miss the point as the best predictor of what group of people will do more crime per capita is, waaaait for it....- poor people! Poor people are more likely to make risky decisions to acquire money, and are more likely to go to jail because they can't afford lawyers to get them off. And who is more poor per capita in America? Why, black people, of course! And your "50% of all black males between" whatever age you said is completely bogus. The CDC and FBI stats only show results, not causation, thus, it's important to find out WHY people commit crimes...
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 7:45:34 PM

The people looting probably aren't the same ones protesting. Lets just assume those protesters wouldn't waste their time protesting if their just gone to turn around and loot the neighborhood their trying to protect.