Jump to topic:

TryingToBeOpenMinded Isn't Trying Hard Enough

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 2:56:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dear TryingToBeOpenMinded, rather than being true to your screen name, when I responded yesterday to your post on eugenics you attempted to dismissively and facilely shoot down my thoughts as "communist nonsense". You put out this frankly unsophisticated twaddle about eugenics being simply a benign way to improve the human condition by improving the genetic quality of human beings, and when I threatened to ground you from your naive flight of fancy, to burst your fond bubble of inanely optimistic speculation by observing that in our corporatocracy eugenics will quite predictably and promptly be co-opted by the interests of big business and the economic powers that be you reacted with blatant reactance and pique.

That is, I merely pointed out the obvious, that in our economic system human beings are already reduced to pieces of equipment serving an economic end, and commodities with a mere economic value, and that eugenics is therefore likely to be subverted from realizing its positive potential into becoming a high-tech means for shaping and engineering us into better versions of the instrumentalized and commodified excuses for human beings that the industrial and technological revolutions have been in the process of turning us into for quite some time now.

And unfortunately, you of course you didn't appreciate any of this, you wanted us to just uncritically go along with your happy vision of society practicing eugenics in a sensible way aimed at the betterment of humankind. Probably the only objections that you anticipated were the usual ones that stem from the dark history of eugenics and its connection to Nazi racial hygene. Of course you were all prepared with a response that simply involves maintaining that we shouldn't hold eugenics' checkered past against it (a response, btw, which you find to be quite lame when it's used to defend communism), and then I went and threw a bit of a zinger at you out of left field (pun intended) about the potential for eugenics to be corrupted and dystopianly harnessed to the purposes of economic elites and you found yourself with egg on your face, and a rather rotten bit of egg at that. And so you irritably lashed out with rubbish about me threatening to derail your thread with my "spouting" of "communist nonsense".

Oh well, Mr. Cranky Pants, the loss is yours, if you had given my critical thoughts some serious reflection it perhaps might have helped you to develop a more sophisticated and intelligent concept of eugenics. Instead you've chosen to invest yourself in a sophomoric and simpleminded eugenist vision with a dangerous blindspot for the possible & probable perversion of your benevolent intentions by an economic system already clearly set in its dehumanizing ways. Yes, this has all taken your intellectual credibility down a good number of notches, but I suppose that you won't really care, because it's just a lousy commie pointing all of this out to you. Well, if this is the defense mechanism that you need to resort to...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 5:30:38 AM
At 10/11/2014 2:56:07 AM, charleslb wrote:
Dear TryingToBeOpenMinded, rather than being true to your screen name, when I responded yesterday to your post on eugenics you attempted to dismissively and facilely shoot down my thoughts as "communist nonsense".

I don't think you should single people out on Public Forums.

That is, I merely pointed out the obvious, that in our economic system human beings are already reduced to pieces of equipment serving an economic end, and commodities with a mere economic value,

Mere value.. I don't understand are you saying under economic systems there are no current day artists and thinkers and political revolutionaries.

Mere value in terms of materials and wealth only define economics.

As a field of study economics is limited. What abojt Sociology, Geogrpahy, Linguistics, Philosopy?

If you talk about Communism in an unrelated forum, then you are limiting the discussion to one field: Development Studies and Economix.

And unfortunately, you of course you didn't appreciate any of this, you wanted us to just uncritically go along with your happy vision of society practicing eugenics in a sensible way aimed at the betterment of humankind.

What if Eugenics was a solution for population problems. Like Communism what if it could be a field of study? What if Eugenic Theory could contribute towards economic problems that Marx tried to at the cusp of industrialization and democracy. What if?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 8:27:06 AM
At 10/11/2014 5:30:38 AM, fazz wrote:
Dear TryingToBeOpenMinded, rather than being true to your screen name, when I responded yesterday to your post on eugenics you attempted to dismissively and facilely shoot down my thoughts as "communist nonsense".

That is, I merely pointed out the obvious, that in our economic system human beings are already reduced to pieces of equipment serving an economic end, and commodities with a mere economic value,

Mere value.. I don't understand are you saying under economic systems there are no current day artists and thinkers and political revolutionaries.

As a field of study economics is limited. What abojt Sociology, Geogrpahy, Linguistics, Philosopy?

If you talk about Communism in an unrelated forum, then you are limiting the discussion to one field: Development Studies and Economix.

And unfortunately, you of course you didn't appreciate any of this, you wanted us to just uncritically go along with your happy vision of society practicing eugenics in a sensible way aimed at the betterment of humankind.

What if Eugenics was a solution for population problems. Like Communism what if it could be a field of study? What if Eugenic Theory could contribute towards economic problems that Marx tried to at the cusp of industrialization and democracy. What if?

There is only communism. Nothing else.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 3:39:54 PM
At 10/11/2014 5:30:38 AM, fazz wrote:

There's precedent. That is, it's been done before by others (to me, for instance) and will be done again, therefore there's no reason to single out my instance of doing it as improper.

I didn't say that under capitalism everyone without exception is in the category of worker drone. I merely pointed out that economism infects our thinking in general; that human beings are reified, i.e. thingified, i.e. viewed and treated as a part of the economic machinery of society, and as economic objects and commodities rather than persons. This, the reduction of human beings to Homo economicus and to commodified its rather than human thous, applies to everyone to some extent, defining the modern human condition as it does in the age of pancapitalism, but certainly it applies to individuals qua low-level workers and consumers more grievously, and to artists and intellectuals somewhat less obviously.

And under capitalism economics, alas, to too great an extent defines life.

I'm more concerned about economics as a form of life than as a field of academic study or so-called science. The "science" of economics merely reflects and is co-opted by our economic form of life.

I was falsely accused by dear TryingToBeOpenMinded of injecting communism into the conversation. I actually did nothing of the kind, I merely raised reasonable and relevant concerns about conceivable capitalist distortions of the good intentions of eugenicists.

What if Eugenics was a solution for population problems.

Well, then it's clearly the case that a whole new socioeconomic system would have to be devised to ensure that eugenics would function strictly to realize solutions for the population and other social problems; as opposed to allowing eugenics & bioengineering to merely serve the special interests of elites and to lead to the creation of more readily and efficiently exploitable populations.

Like Communism what if it could be a field of study?

To be a legitimate field of study it would have to limit itself to legitimate ends, and alas historically eugenicists have been unwilling to focus exclusively on benevolent ends. Nor, I must point out again, is the profit drive and ethos of capitalism ever likely to promote the benevolent, socially-enlightened use of eugenics or science in general.

What if Eugenic Theory could contribute towards economic problems that Marx tried to at the cusp of industrialization and democracy. What if?

Well, for it to augment a Marxist approach to transforming the human condition for the better society would need to begin taking a Marxist approach.

Btw, thank you, fazz, for some thoughtful feedback.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 4:00:14 PM
At 10/11/2014 8:27:06 AM, sadolite wrote:

There is only communism. Nothing else.

No, communism is not your one-dimensional stereotype of "communism". But let's keep both communism and "communism" out of this thread, shall we. I never actually injected it into the topic of eugenics, I merely offered some critical thoughts about where selective breeding and genetic engineering might conceivably lead under capitalism, this is not at all the same thing as inappropriately discussing my communist vision. TryingToBeOpenMinded merely took a grumpy cheap shot at me for being a communist and falsely charged me with trying to derail his thread with my "communist nonsense". I did nothing of the kind and would appreciate it if I'm shown the same courtesy in this thread by my critics refraining from attacking what they consider to be the Achilles heel of my communism. Do you think that you can manage that sad my man, and perhaps manage to contribute a substantive on-topic bit of input?

(Anyone who feels the need to attack my communism is welcome to do so in my thread on that topic, here's a link, http://www.debate.org... )
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 5:46:33 PM
Another Thought or Two

Yes, dear TryingToBeOpenMinded just wanted to indulge in a bit of intellectual masturbation, to beat the meat of his brain to images of a eugenist utopia, full of superlative specimens of humanity selectively bred for the betterment of life, not to serve the economic interests of our capitalist masters; going about being superior in a harmless way, as opposed to establishing a new class system of separate and unequal.

And then naughty and mischievous me, I had to go and introduce critical concerns about designer humans being designed to be more efficient cogs in the machinery of production, in the business machine that is capitalist society. And about the all too conceivable prospect of a power structure that would favor individuals bred & engineered for higher intelligence and to fill executive and managerial roles, relegating others to an inferior and socially disenfranchised status. The prospect of a new caste system in which individuals would be designed for and locked into specific economic functions or castes, which would include a large demographic designed expressly and cold-bloodedly to be virtual worker ants or drones. Well, such gloomy, "communist" thoughts weren't at all welcome in friend TryingToBeOpenMinded's thread, so please feel free to develop and even critique them in this thread that attempts to explore the question of eugenics in a bit more sophisticated and critical-minded fashion.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 6:56:18 PM
There is only communism
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 1:17:02 AM
At 10/11/2014 6:56:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
There is only communism

Well, I realize that you're a staunch anti-communist, that you loathe my communist point of view, and that you're attempting to be deprecating here, but you're being a bit too cryptic, I'm not really sure what your deprecating point actually is. Would you perhaps care to elaborate, or, better yet, engage the topic of the potential dangers of eugenics in a serious and constructive fashion. Any serious & constructive input is of course always welcome.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:46:18 AM
At 10/12/2014 1:17:02 AM, charleslb wrote:
There is only communism

Well, I realize that you're a staunch anti-communist, that you loathe my communist point of view, and that you're attempting to be deprecating here, but you're being a bit too cryptic, I'm not really sure what your deprecating point actually is. Would you perhaps care to elaborate, or, better yet, engage the topic of the potential dangers of eugenics in a serious and constructive fashion. Any serious & constructive input is of course always welcome

Charles you don't have a point of view towards communism, you skirt every question I ask you about communism and it implementation. Political rhetoric is your point of view. I have tried numerous times to engage you only to be given bloviating rhetoric non answers.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 4:48:14 PM
At 10/12/2014 8:46:18 AM, sadolite wrote:
There is only communism

Well, I realize that you're a staunch anti-communist, that you loathe my communist point of view, and that you're attempting to be deprecating here, but you're being a bit too cryptic, I'm not really sure what your deprecating point actually is. Would you perhaps care to elaborate, or, better yet, engage the topic of the potential dangers of eugenics in a serious and constructive fashion. Any serious & constructive input is of course always welcome

Charles you don't have a point of view towards communism, you skirt every question I ask you about communism and it implementation. Political rhetoric is your point of view. I have tried numerous times to engage you only to be given bloviating rhetoric non answers.

To quote a line from an episode of an old TV show, "I answer as simply as your level of understanding makes possible." Also, I would point out that you seem to want me to lay out a scheme for a utopian society, but that I've repeatedly clarified that I'm not a utopian and why I don't wish to indulge in utopian air castle building. What's more, this is not actually my communism thread, or haven't you noticed, being so fixated on reviling me as a communist? No, this thread has to do with eugenics, any thoughts on the topic?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 5:07:56 PM
At 10/12/2014 4:48:14 PM, charleslb wrote:
There is only communism

To quote a line from an episode of an old TV show, "I answer as simply as your level of understanding makes possible." Also, I would point out that you seem to want me to lay out a scheme for a utopian society, but that I've repeatedly clarified that I'm not a utopian and why I don't wish to indulge in utopian air castle building. What's more, this is not actually my communism thread, or haven't you noticed, being so fixated on reviling me as a communist? No, this thread has to do with eugenics, any thoughts on the topic?

"I answer as simply as your level of understanding makes possible." Fck off charles you condescending ashole.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 5:43:31 PM
At 10/12/2014 5:07:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
There is only communism

"I answer as simply as your level of understanding makes possible." Fck off charles you condescending ashole.

Well, individuals such as yourself who have such a lovely nature always bring out the best in me.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:12:55 PM
At 10/12/2014 5:57:33 PM, bananafana wrote:
stop being such a crazy old man. no1 likes it kk

Do you have anything of a substantive and on-topic nature to contribute?
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:13:50 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:12:55 PM, charleslb wrote:

there is no topic to speak of. its just charles bitching (as usual).
thinker, philosopher, renasance-man.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:19:32 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:13:50 PM, bananafana wrote:

There's the question of eugenics, and what it might lead to in our current form of society. Care to weigh in? Yes, I'm trying to be cordial and offer you an invitation to switch over from insulting me to discussing an interesting issue, how you respond is of course entirely up to you.
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:20:41 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:19:32 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 10/12/2014 6:13:50 PM, bananafana wrote:

There's the question of eugenics, and what it might lead to in our current form of society. Care to weigh in? Yes, I'm trying to be cordial and offer you an invitation to switch over from insulting me to discussing an interesting issue, how you respond is of course entirely up to you.

i support eugenics cause people like u exist. kk? stop trying to throw all thsi back on me.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:26:51 PM
At 10/12/2014 5:43:31 PM, charleslb wrote:
There is only communism

Well, individuals such as yourself who have such a lovely nature always bring out the best in me.

There isn't a damn difference between you and Pol Pot, Stalin, Kim jung, or any other communist dictator from the past. Your view of people who ask you questions you can't give straight answers to is the same, condescension and marginalization. I read you loud and clear, you are nothing but a carbon copy of history.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:27:41 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:21:28 PM, bananafana wrote:
take ur sh1t elsewhere sir

Well, if your posts represented the quality of response that I could expect at this site I would (not that I agree that my views are excrement, if you're smelling excrement the odor might be coming from your own cranium, what with you being a sh*thead and all).
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:28:58 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:27:41 PM, charleslb wrote:

Well, if your posts represented the quality of response that I could expect at this site I would (not that I agree that my views are excrement, if you're smelling excrement the odor might be coming from your own cranium, what with you being a sh*thead and all).

ur less than piss bitch
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:34:15 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:26:51 PM, sadolite wrote:
There is only communism

There isn't a damn difference between you and Pol Pot, Stalin, Kim jung, or any other communist dictator from the past. Your view of people who ask you questions you can't give straight answers to is the same, condescension and marginalization. I read you loud and clear, you are nothing but a carbon copy of history.

Thanks for confirming, yet once again, that your mind and worldview are indeed quite firmly stuck back in the Cold War era.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:37:22 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:28:58 PM, bananafana wrote:

ur less than piss bitch

Not that you started out strong, but your responses seem to have less and less content.
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:39:06 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:37:22 PM, charleslb wrote:

ur less than piss bitch

Not that you started out strong, but your responses seem to have less and less content.

maybe to ur blind eyes. i leaev hidden messages in my posts, that only the intelligent can see. too bad 4 u
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:41:26 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:34:15 PM, charleslb wrote:
There is only communism

Thanks for confirming, yet once again, that your mind and worldview are indeed quite firmly stuck back in the Cold War era.

No Charles, your own words defined you.

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:48:38 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:41:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
There is only communism

Any thoughts on eugenics and the social issues and risks that it presents? This is, after all, my eugenics, not my communism thread.
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:50:07 PM
There is only communism

would u like to join my down-with-charles campaign?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:55:46 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:39:06 PM, bananafana wrote:

ur less than piss bitch

maybe to ur blind eyes. i leaev hidden messages in my posts, that only the intelligent can see. too bad 4 u

https://www.youtube.com...
bananafana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:57:07 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:55:46 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 10/12/2014 6:39:06 PM, bananafana wrote:

ur less than piss bitch

was that supposed to be funny
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:57:17 PM
At 10/12/2014 6:50:07 PM, bananafana wrote:
There is only communism

would u like to join my down-with-charles campaign?