Jump to topic:

Progressive conservativism

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:41:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there even such a thing? I've seen people claim to be one but I can't help but feel the two are incompatible. Conservatives, in my view, are the main opponents to progressives.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 9:59:35 PM
I assume by progressive you mean propagating reform or change or innovation, right? Progressive politics typically refers to liberal concepts, but I think your statement appears to be more of a generalization than a fact.

I'd give you some credit though, in that conservatives are usually more reactionary than progressive.

However, politicians or political concepts are hardly restricted to being conservative or liberal. Look at Charlie Crist, or ObamaCare...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:20:23 PM
Conservatives tend to be in the upper-right quadrant of the political spectrum, whereas progressives tend to be in the lower-left. http://www.politicalcompass.org...= Therefore, they are literally opposite and are incompatible, so I shake my head whenever I see someone say "I like to think of myself as a progressive conservative."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:27:51 PM
And yes, I am generalizing: but this is what goes on inside my head. http://www.politicalcompass.org...=

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:46:53 AM
At 10/12/2014 7:41:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Is there even such a thing? I've seen people claim to be one but I can't help but feel the two are incompatible. Conservatives, in my view, are the main opponents to progressives.

Yes, "progressive conservative" is as much of an outright and striking oxymoron as "compassionate conservative". And both terms are oxymoronic for the same fundamental reason, the essence of "conservatism" or rightism, psychologically speaking, is an authoritarian orientation, which is antithetical to both progressivism and compassionate positions on issues of public policy.

https://cdn.anonfiles.com...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.