Jump to topic:

Seperation of religion and state.

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:02:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
An atheist just won a settlement. He was forced to attend a religious rehab program against his will even though he requested a nonreligious alternative. This was a violation of his rights. The government has no right to force religion on people. My reference: https://www.youtube.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:19:46 PM
At 10/16/2014 6:02:51 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
An atheist just won a settlement. He was forced to attend a religious rehab program against his will even though he requested a nonreligious alternative. This was a violation of his rights. The government has no right to force religion on people. My reference: https://www.youtube.com...

If I was an atheist, I'd thank them for the $2 million
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:21:16 PM
But I do agree that this was a horrible thing to do.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:21:48 PM
At 10/16/2014 6:19:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

If I was an atheist, I'd thank them for the $2 million
Agreed. I think anyone would.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:48:01 PM
This is not a happy ending at all. They said nothing of him actually going to another rehab, and now he's got $2 million to blow on meth! Yay! His rights have been upheld! Now he's going to kill himself!

Seriously, this is more common than you think. I know of a guy who was forced by the State to go to Scientologist rehab programs here in Michigan. And I don't think having all secular shrinks is a good idea either. They're wacky. There should be a choice.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 10:57:33 AM

If you'd be so generous to allow me to express my opinion on the matter (though by my own admission I did not watch the video)...
From where the man in question lived, what was the nearest location offering rehabilitation services? Was there more than one nearby location offering rehabilitation services? If there was only one nearby, and it was a Christian rehab, then one cannot honestly blame the judge. Any secular rehabilitation clinic would've been too far away for the man to frequent.
If there was a nearby secular rehab, then the judge should be disciplined for forcing his religious beliefs upon this atheist, provided that the judge was aware that this nearby secular rehab existed.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Lukas8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 1:55:27 PM
Basicly, if there is no seperation of the state and religion, we get something like the Theocracy. This is bad, a state where religion is in rule isnt democratic, evsn if the people support it, decisions based on bible or koran... Is horrible, and a violation of rights too, like what if there is a atheist or beliver from a another religion, will they be forced? Its sad that the us motto is:" In god we trust" ( like itler). Plus its wrong, to have no progress. The only religion allowing progress and science is the anicent greek religion. Plus why couldntwe vote for someone who isnt christian.
Lukas8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 1:57:16 PM
Basically, if there is no seperation of the state and religion, we get something like the Theocracy. This is bad, a state where religion is in rule isnt democratic, evsn if the people support it, decisions based on bible or koran... Is horrible, and a violation of rights too, like what if there is a atheist or beliver from a another religion, will they be forced? Its sad that the us motto is:" In god we trust" ( like itler). Plus its wrong, to have no progress. The only religion allowing progress and science is the anicent greek religion. Plus why couldntwe vote for someone who isnt christian.
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:04:51 PM
That is just ridiculous. And the worst thing is, whenever some progress is made toward separation of religion and state, the religious wackos whinge about being oppressed and having their freedom of religion taken away just because they can't take others' freedom. Kill me now.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:44:10 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:04:51 PM, Material_Girl wrote:
That is just ridiculous. And the worst thing is, whenever some progress is made toward separation of religion and state, the religious wackos whinge about being oppressed and having their freedom of religion taken away just because they can't take others' freedom. Kill me now.

Usually, separation of Church and State is defined by suppressing free speech of religious people in public life. Not in this particular case.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.