Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A Tea Party Sign

wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 6:51:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?

I think they think we think it's funny.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 6:52:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?

No they hold them up b/c they are frustrated.

It is their form of rebellion.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 6:55:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
FauxNews.

Why do you use such degrading language? It's Fox News, not Faux News.

Our president is [...] an intellectual.

I beg to differ.

Why are some people such meanies?

I dunno. People are always going to be mean and act irrationally. All Presidents are hated, and all are critiqued in irrational ways. This shouldn't be a surprise.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:21:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:51:05 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?

I think they think we think it's funny.

That's a lot of thinking.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:35:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:55:23 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
FauxNews.

Why do you use such degrading language? It's Fox News, not Faux News.

When there is more one-sided analysis than news, I find the nickname highly accurate.
I also find these accurate:
Clinton News Network
Majorly Biased News-source Broadcasting Collectivism

Our president is [...] an intellectual.

I beg to differ.

With what facts?

Why are some people such meanies?

I dunno. People are always going to be mean and act irrationally. All Presidents are hated, and all are critiqued in irrational ways. This shouldn't be a surprise.

I guess this parallels to the people that think Bush was an idiot.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:45:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:55:23 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
FauxNews.

Why do you use such degrading language? It's Fox News, not Faux News.

Our president is [...] an intellectual.

I beg to differ.


Na, you know he has brains.
That is an unfair assessment.
He is a smart guy, that is it.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:46:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:35:37 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When there is more one-sided analysis than news, I find the nickname highly accurate.
I also find these accurate:
Clinton News Network
Majorly Biased News-source Broadcasting Collectivism

It doesn't much matter what you find accurate or not. If you would like to have an intelligent conversation where you derail against petty insults, then you can't give petty insults yourself. It's hypocritical.

With what facts?

You're demanding proof of a negative. You never proved that Obama is an intellectual, therefore there is no logical conclusion that Obama is an intellectual. You must give the proof that Obama is an intellectual. I have no burden to prove that Obama is not an intellectual.

I guess this parallels to the people that think Bush was an idiot.

People have called Bush much more than that, but I guess you can draw the parallel if you so wish.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:46:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:21:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/15/2010 6:51:05 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?

I think they think we think it's funny.

That's a lot of thinking.

Not really. I think that if they had thought harder, they'd have thought that we'd think it was offensive and wouldn't think that it was funny, and they'd have thought enough to not do so.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:47:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:46:12 PM, Nags wrote:
You're demanding proof of a negative. You never proved that Obama is an intellectual, therefore there is no logical conclusion that Obama is an intellectual. You must give the proof that Obama is an intellectual. I have no burden to prove that Obama is not an intellectual.

He did mention that he was a graduate...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:48:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:47:23 PM, mongoose wrote:
He did mention that he was a graduate...

A graduate of college does not make one an intellectual.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:51:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:46:12 PM, Nags wrote:

You're demanding proof of a negative. You never proved that Obama is an intellectual, therefore there is no logical conclusion that Obama is an intellectual.

"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

"In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[35] and president of the journal in his second year."

He need logic and reasoning to make it into Harvard and to do well.
If you consider yourself to be an "intellectual" I would love to see you take the same path.

Your just wrong.
It happens.
You are not using logic or critical thinking in you assessment of the president of the united states!
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:55:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:51:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

"In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[35] and president of the journal in his second year."

He need logic and reasoning to make it into Harvard and to do well.

If you consider yourself to be an "intellectual" I would love to see you take the same path.

Your just wrong.
It happens.
You are not using logic or critical thinking in you assessment of the president of the united states!

Graduates of Harvard Law and editors of the Harvard Law Review are, 99% of the time, extremely intelligent. However, being a professor, an author, having a high IQ, scoring perfect on the SAT, and other feats do not make one an intellectual. These prior feats just make one intelligent. Obama is intelligent, I am by no means denying this. He is much more intelligent than the vast majority of people. There is no proof, though, that Obama is an intellectual.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 7:59:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:55:04 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/15/2010 7:51:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

"In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[35] and president of the journal in his second year."

He need logic and reasoning to make it into Harvard and to do well.

If you consider yourself to be an "intellectual" I would love to see you take the same path.

Your just wrong.
It happens.
You are not using logic or critical thinking in you assessment of the president of the united states!

Graduates of Harvard Law and editors of the Harvard Law Review are, 99% of the time, extremely intelligent. However, being a professor, an author, having a high IQ, scoring perfect on the SAT, and other feats do not make one an intellectual. These prior feats just make one intelligent. Obama is intelligent, I am by no means denying this. He is much more intelligent than the vast majority of people. There is no proof, though, that Obama is an intellectual.

It is all in how you define intellectual.
Obama is an intellectual in my book, oh, also in this one that says "webster"

Look, you can hate the guy, but don't take away anything that he did with crazy unbacked comments.
He is smart, yes.
He is an intellectual, yes.
He uses logic in his everyday use, it just does not match yours.
Logic is a funny thing. It is motivated by ones goals. His goals have logic applied. His goals are not your goals. That is the difference.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:11:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 7:59:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
It is all in how you define intellectual.

Kinda. If you define intellectual as one who uses intellect, then Obama is an intellectual, just like pretty much everyone else. If you define intellectual as anyone who holds X position (like a Law review editor, professor, or President), then Obama is an intellectual, just like every other person who has held X position.

An intellectual, however, is one who sets themselves apart from others and holds profound positions and defends them elegantly. Obama has never done such a thing. Adam Smith and Karl Marx are intellectuals. "The Wealth of Nations" was, and still is, one of the most profound defenses of the free market ever. Karl Marx is essentially the founder of modern communism. Although I disagree vehemently with his views, he defended his views unlike anyone else. William Lane Craig and Daniel Dennet are examples of intellectuals today, who delve into profound debates and topics into religion and atheism. Noam Chomsky is probably one of the most famous living intellectuals. He is the most cited living academic and is prominent in his thoughts and ideas. Barack Obama does not compare to people from above, who are intellectually dominant compared to him. Obama is not an intellectual.

Obama is an intellectual in my book, oh, also in this one that says "webster"

Look, you can hate the guy, but don't take away anything that he did with crazy unbacked comments.
He is smart, yes.
He is an intellectual, yes.
He uses logic in his everyday use, it just does not match yours.
Logic is a funny thing. It is motivated by ones goals. His goals have logic applied. His goals are not your goals. That is the difference.

I have backed up everything I've said so far. You, however, have not. This quote right here is a good example.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:16:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:11:22 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/15/2010 7:59:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
It is all in how you define intellectual.

Kinda. If you define intellectual as one who uses intellect, then Obama is an intellectual, just like pretty much everyone else. If you define intellectual as anyone who holds X position (like a Law review editor, professor, or President), then Obama is an intellectual, just like every other person who has held X position.

An intellectual, however, is one who sets themselves apart from others and holds profound positions and defends them elegantly. Obama has never done such a thing. Adam Smith and Karl Marx are intellectuals. "The Wealth of Nations" was, and still is, one of the most profound defenses of the free market ever. Karl Marx is essentially the founder of modern communism. Although I disagree vehemently with his views, he defended his views unlike anyone else. William Lane Craig and Daniel Dennet are examples of intellectuals today, who delve into profound debates and topics into religion and atheism. Noam Chomsky is probably one of the most famous living intellectuals. He is the most cited living academic and is prominent in his thoughts and ideas. Barack Obama does not compare to people from above, who are intellectually dominant compared to him. Obama is not an intellectual.

Obama is an intellectual in my book, oh, also in this one that says "webster"

Look, you can hate the guy, but don't take away anything that he did with crazy unbacked comments.
He is smart, yes.
He is an intellectual, yes.
He uses logic in his everyday use, it just does not match yours.
Logic is a funny thing. It is motivated by ones goals. His goals have logic applied. His goals are not your goals. That is the difference.

I have backed up everything I've said so far. You, however, have not. This quote right here is a good example.

where do you get your definition of "intellectual"?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:21:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 6:42:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I've seen this sign several times before, and my mom just pointed it out when she was watching the Teaparties on FauxNews.

Village in Kenya is missing its idiot

This sign is terribly offensive. Our president is by no means an idiot; he is a college graduate and an intellectual. His economic policies just don't make much sense.

Why do people hold up these signs? Do they really think that Obama isn't intelligent? Or do they think they're funny?

liberals depicted bush as Hitler, its the same thing, an over-exaggeration to get a reaction.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:22:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:16:58 PM, OreEle wrote:
where do you get your definition of "intellectual"?

He makes it up in his head, because he knows if he relies on actual definitions he'll lose the argument handily.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:23:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:16:58 PM, OreEle wrote:
where do you get your definition of "intellectual"?

Not in a solid book or dictionary. Most dictionaries simply define an intellectual as one who uses intellect, simply because that's how the roots of the word are formed. Everyone uses intellect from time to time. The prior definition would render everyone an intellectual. Intellectual is commonly used in everyday conversation and I have heard it used very much. I think my definition of intellectual is fair, not absolute or objective, and absolutely debatable. I've never seen or heard a great definition of intellectual. I'd like to think my definition is suitable. If you'd like to substitute your own definition, then I'd be more than willing to debate the merits of the definition.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:25:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:22:32 PM, Volkov wrote:
He makes it up in his head, because he knows if he relies on actual definitions he'll lose the argument handily.

Read what I just wrote back to OreEle. If you'd like to give your own definition, and if the definition is suitable, I'd be more than willing to use that definition. Dictionary definitions are not always true and realistic. Dictionary definitions are directly derived from the roots of the word. Everyday definitions are formed from common conversation. A b_tch may be a female dog or an unliked person in a dictionary. But you and I both know that b_tch has many different uses.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:29:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:11:22 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/15/2010 7:59:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
It is all in how you define intellectual.

Kinda. If you define intellectual as one who uses intellect, then Obama is an intellectual, just like pretty much everyone else. If you define intellectual as anyone who holds X position (like a Law review editor, professor, or President), then Obama is an intellectual, just like every other person who has held X position.

An intellectual, however, is one who sets themselves apart from others and holds profound positions and defends them elegantly.

He does. It is just not agreeable to you so you misdiagnosis him.
He did it for healthcare. He is doing it with nuclear weapons.

Karl Marx is essentially the founder of modern communism. Although I disagree vehemently with his views, he defended his views unlike anyone else.

Yep, you are right. But Obama is an intellectual as well.
You do not need to be a founder of something to be counted as an intellectual.

William Lane Craig and Daniel Dennet are examples of intellectuals today, who delve into profound debates and topics into religion and atheism. Noam Chomsky is probably one of the most famous living intellectuals. He is the most cited living academic and is prominent in his thoughts and ideas. Barack Obama does not compare to people from above, who are intellectually dominant compared to him. Obama is not an intellectual.


You are wrong. Obama has done a lot to count himself as intellectual.
He used logic in law school.
He defended people with law.
He became president of the united states by using strategy.

Come on, your not thinking.

Obama is an intellectual in my book, oh, also in this one that says "webster"

Look, you can hate the guy, but don't take away anything that he did with crazy unbacked comments.
He is smart, yes.
He is an intellectual, yes.
He uses logic in his everyday use, it just does not match yours.
Logic is a funny thing. It is motivated by ones goals. His goals have logic applied. His goals are not your goals. That is the difference.

I have backed up everything I've said so far. You, however, have not. This quote right here is a good example.

You have not backed up anything but the fact that you have a very delusional definition of "intellectual".

Look, you have proven yourself unable to see true logic and reasoning.
You are wrong, but refuse to see truth.
I don't know who is worse, You or Obama?

I don't like his policies or anything he is doing, but my dislike does not cover up truth.
He is an intellectual.
He uses logic and reasoning everyday, as president.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:34:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:29:39 PM, comoncents wrote:
He does. It is just not agreeable to you so you misdiagnosis him.
He did it for healthcare. He is doing it with nuclear weapons.

He passed healthcare legislation. He passed nuclear weapons legislation. This is by no means a profound or brilliant new policy defense. He didn't give any speeches, write any papers or books, or do anything really, to set him apart from anyone else on health care and nuclear weapons.

Yep, you are right. But Obama is an intellectual as well.
You do not need to be a founder of something to be counted as an intellectual.

I never said as such. Obama is no intellectual though, and you have yet to prove it.

You are wrong. Obama has done a lot to count himself as intellectual.
He used logic in law school.

Plenty of people have used logic. And plenty of people have used logic law school.

He defended people with law.

There have been millions of people who have defended people with law. They're called lawyers.

He became president of the united states by using strategy.

Come on, your not thinking.

A President is not necessarily an intellectual. Receiving a position of X does not make one an intellectual.

You have not backed up anything but the fact that you have a very delusional definition of "intellectual".

Give your own definition of intellectual then.

Look, you have proven yourself unable to see true logic and reasoning.
You are wrong, but refuse to see truth.
I don't know who is worse, You or Obama?

I don't like his policies or anything he is doing, but my dislike does not cover up truth.
He is an intellectual.
He uses logic and reasoning everyday, as president.

I use logic and reasoning everyday as well. This does not make me an intellectual.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:34:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
to get back to the subject...

There is a very simple reason why kenya is missing its idiot. The Presidential institution has undergone some serious changes since the days of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. The Presidency has been changed forever on many occasions. After Nixon, for instance. A scandalous liar who considered himself above the law. The Presidency was never the same after Nixon. The Clinton Administration was another game-changer. Knowing that the President got a BJ in the oval office and cheated on his wife changed the Presidency forever. Bush 43 was another big one... After Bush 43, who was constantly mocked for his intellectual ineptitudes, the institution of the President was further stained. Calling Obama the village idiot is more of a backlash to all the Bush-bashing, and it is subconciously justified because of what us libs did to Bush. The Presidential reputation can be restored over time, and I believe Obama is in fact restoring it.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:38:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:25:55 PM, Nags wrote:
b_tch may be a female dog or an unliked person in a dictionary. But you and I both know that b_tch has many different uses.

As far as I'm aware, the dictionary covers most instances of the word "bitch." The ones it doesn't cover are ones which are usually not in widespread use and are not generally accepted except as word play, which makes them sort of unofficial and not really valid in cases like what we're discussing.

Your definition of "intellectual" is simply limiting it to exceptional cases. That's not much of a definition - it's just a tweak. That's no good.

Skeptic has what is the proper definition of an "intellectual":

If you employ reason/critical thinking/etc. in either your personal or professional endeavours, I'm pretty sure you count as an intellectual

It's that simple. Being an intellectual is simply about using those reason faculties you're endowed with. In common use, "intellectual" is used to refer to those that use it as a profession - which covers authors, lecturers, etc. Obama is at least one of those.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:44:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:38:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the dictionary covers most instances of the word "bitch." The ones it doesn't cover are ones which are usually not in widespread use and are not generally accepted except as word play, which makes them sort of unofficial and not really valid in cases like what we're discussing.

It still doesn't cover certain definitions that are used in everyday conversation, which you admitted. This happens with many words.

Your definition of "intellectual" is simply limiting it to exceptional cases. That's not much of a definition - it's just a tweak. That's no good.

An intellectual is exceptional. An intellectual shouldn't be regarded as one who uses intellect.

Skeptic has what is the proper definition of an "intellectual":

There's no reasoning behind this.

If you employ reason/critical thinking/etc. in either your personal or professional endeavours, I'm pretty sure you count as an intellectual

I employ reason and critical thinking in my personal and professional endeavors. I wouldn't regard myself as an intellectual though.

It's that simple. Being an intellectual is simply about using those reason faculties you're endowed with. In common use, "intellectual" is used to refer to those that use it as a profession - which covers authors, lecturers, etc. Obama is at least one of those.

Like I said before, being an author or lecturer usually makes one intelligent. It does not, however, make one an intellectual. An intellectual is not a position or job. Therefore, one can not get to X position and be an intellectual. I think the majority, or at least a lot of the regular posters on DDO would be regarded as intellectuals if we used the definition that you have put forth. An intellectual is one who should be respected as one with even more expertise, knowledge, and wisdom than an expert. An intellectual makes profound remarks, policy, and words. I don't think it's fair or honest to label a good majority of the population as intellectuals. Which would happen if we used your definition.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:44:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

"Rational rather than emotional.
Appealing to or engaging the intellect:"

"appealing to or engaging the intellect"

"guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational."

"characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking."

"a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level."

He fits all of those!
Obama is an intellectual, according to most people.

Most smart people will agree, some will not.
Does not change that fact that he is an intellectual.

Good luck, buddy.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:47:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:44:40 PM, comoncents wrote:
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

Lots of people are intellectuals then.

"Rational rather than emotional.
Appealing to or engaging the intellect:"

Lots of people are intellectuals then.

"appealing to or engaging the intellect"

Almost everyone is an intellectual then.

"guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational."

Lots of people are intellectuals then.

"characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking."

Lots of people are intellectuals then.

"a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level."

Lots of people are intellectuals then.

He fits all of those!

So do I!

Obama is an intellectual, according to most people.

Whom?

Most smart people will agree, some will not.
Does not change that fact that he is an intellectual.

Good luck, buddy.

Obama is certainly intelligent. There is no denying this. He is no intellectual though.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:49:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:44:38 PM, Nags wrote:
It still doesn't cover certain definitions that are used in everyday conversation, which you admitted. This happens with many words.

That's an entirely moot point. Subjective definitions without wide circulation aren't accepted as valid for a reason. If we had to write down every single little variation on the meaning of a word we'd never know what the f*ck meant what.

An intellectual is exceptional. An intellectual shouldn't be regarded as one who uses intellect.

That's not in any definition I've noticed. You're just playing semantics and it simply doesn't work. Saying an intellectual isn't one who uses intellect makes other words and phrases similar - like intellect, intellectual honesty, etc. - change their entire meanings.

If I say to you, "be intellectually honest," according to this tweak of what an intellectual means, it follows that you're going to say, "but I'm not exceptional or famous!"

I employ reason and critical thinking in my personal and professional endeavors. I wouldn't regard myself as an intellectual though.

Well, good for you! That's your view though, not everyone else's. If I see you using reasoning, I'd consider you being an intellectual.

Like I said before, being an author or lecturer usually makes one intelligent. It does not, however, make one an intellectual.

Your definition doesn't follow, for anyone. This is just a convenient tweak.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 8:50:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/15/2010 8:47:34 PM, Nags wrote:

Obama...... He is no intellectual though.

We will, therefore, agree to disagree.