Proabortion.

Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:11:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:59:19 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
If abortion is acceptable, what is wrong with being called proabortion?

Because it implies that we pro-choicers "like," abortion. We don't. We just regard it as something that has to happen if a woman wants it to happen, as part of her bodily autonomy, and stress the importance of choice rather than the moral acceptability of abortion.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:31:45 PM
At 10/19/2014 5:08:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
What's wrong with anti-choice?

Prolife is not antichoice because we support a woman's right to choose contraception, adoption, parenting, and abstinance.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:36:05 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:11:45 PM, Material_Girl wrote:

Because it implies that we pro-choicers "like," abortion. We don't. We just regard it as something that has to happen if a woman wants it to happen, as part of her bodily autonomy, and stress the importance of choice rather than the moral acceptability of abortion.

If you think abortion is legal, you are pro (in favor of) abortion. http://www.merriam-webster.com... http://www.merriam-webster.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:37:21 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:31:45 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Prolife is not antichoice because we support a woman's right to choose contraception, adoption, parenting, and abstinance.

Okay, so prochoice is not proabortion because we don't "like" abortion--we are not "for" abortions--we are for giving people the option to undergo abortions if needed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:44:47 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:36:05 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/20/2014 2:11:45 PM, Material_Girl wrote:

If you think abortion is legal, you are pro (in favor of) abortion. http://www.merriam-webster.com... http://www.merriam-webster.com...

We are in favour of abortion if, and only if, the mother chooses it. This has nothing to do with our personal preferences or a personal liking of abortions - on the contrary, we would argue that our personal preferences don't matter at all unless we are the woman carrying the fetus, because whether to have an abortion or not is up to her.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:45:26 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:37:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Okay, so prochoice is not proabortion because we don't "like" abortion--we are not "for" abortions--we are for giving people the option to undergo abortions if needed.

The dictionary disagrees. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 2:50:05 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:45:26 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

The dictionary disagrees.

We aren't just talking about the literal meaning of the terms (denotation); we're also talking about the implied meaning of the term (connotation).

Proabortion may denote that someone supports abortion's legalization, but it also connotes that someone supports abortion itself (literally, that they are pro abortion.)

I think abortion is unethical. I am not going to go into why I think this here. But, I am prochoice. Why? Because I believe that I cannot force my ethical beliefs on to other people who may not share those beliefs. It isn't my place to tell you how to run your life, so I support giving you the freedom of choice you need to go about living your life as your wish.

I am a "for" choice; I am pro choice. I am not "for" abortion; I am not pro abortion. Thus, the connotation of the form better reflects my stance than that of the latter.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:11:03 PM
At 10/20/2014 2:50:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:

We aren't just talking about the literal meaning of the terms (denotation); we're also talking about the implied meaning of the term (connotation).

Proabortion may denote that someone supports abortion's legalization, but it also connotes that someone supports abortion itself (literally, that they are pro abortion.)

I think abortion is unethical. I am not going to go into why I think this here. But, I am prochoice. Why? Because I believe that I cannot force my ethical beliefs on to other people who may not share those beliefs. It isn't my place to tell you how to run your life, so I support giving you the freedom of choice you need to go about living your life as your wish.

I am a "for" choice; I am pro choice. I am not "for" abortion; I am not pro abortion. Thus, the connotation of the form better reflects my stance than that of the latter.

I am more inclined to believe the dictionary. You cannot just keep making up definitions to words. I proved you guys wrong with my links. I respectfully disagree with your claim that prochoice is not proabortion.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:13:25 PM
I prefer the term "Racist fetus hating genocidal malthusian demonspawn" but to each their own I suppose.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:15:20 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:11:03 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I am more inclined to believe the dictionary. You cannot just keep making up definitions to words.

I am not making up definitions for words. The dictionary tells us the literally meaning of a word, but it doesn't give us insight into the implied meaning of a word.

For example, "gaffe" and "mistake" mean the same thing, but "gaffe" sounds harsher than does "mistake." Similarly, "asinine" and "dumb" mean the same thing, but the former is again harsher than the latter.

The implied meaning of the term proabortion, or the terms connation, is something we have to consider, not just the literal meaning of the term.

I proved you guys wrong with my links. I respectfully disagree with your claim that prochoice is not proabortion.

Literally, maybe. But not in the colloquial sense in which those terms are employed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:21:02 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:15:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I am more inclined to believe the dictionary. You cannot just keep making up definitions to words.

I am not making up definitions for words. The dictionary tells us the literally meaning of a word, but it doesn't give us insight into the implied meaning of a word.

For example, "gaffe" and "mistake" mean the same thing, but "gaffe" sounds harsher than does "mistake." Similarly, "asinine" and "dumb" mean the same thing, but the former is again harsher than the latter.

The implied meaning of the term proabortion, or the terms connation, is something we have to consider, not just the literal meaning of the term.

I proved you guys wrong with my links. I respectfully disagree with your claim that prochoice is not proabortion.

Literally, maybe. But not in the colloquial sense in which those terms are employed.

The dictionary proves the prochoice is proabortion.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:22:09 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:21:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Just continuously repeating that one phrase doesn't address the comments I've made, nor does it advance the discussion any farther.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:27:16 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:22:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Just continuously repeating that one phrase doesn't address the comments I've made, nor does it advance the discussion any farther.

Saying that I am wrong does not make me wrong. I proved that prochoice has the same meaning as proabortion with my links. Feel free to prove me wrong with links of your own.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:32:37 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:27:16 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Saying that I am wrong does not make me wrong. I proved that prochoice has the same meaning as proabortion with my links. Feel free to prove me wrong with links of your own.

That is very much an appeal to authority. Just because it appears in a link doesn't mean we shouldn't critically evaluate it. I explained why I thought you were inaccurate, and you have yet to address the concerns I discussed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:46:33 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:32:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:

That is very much an appeal to authority. Just because it appears in a link doesn't mean we shouldn't critically evaluate it. I explained why I thought you were inaccurate, and you have yet to address the concerns I discussed.
I did not appeal to authority at all because I did not present myself as an authority. I proved with my links that prochoice is proabortion. Can you prove with links of your own that prochoice is anything other than proabortion? It is not a fallacy to assert facts. Let's just agree to disagree, okay? I like you and I do not want to piss you off. Stay awesome. :)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:49:37 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:46:33 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I did not appeal to authority at all because I did not present myself as an authority.

You presented the dictionary as an authority. Just because the dictionary says X about term P, that doesn't make X 100% reflective of the actual way P is used or fully indicative the P implies. A dictionary is not an unquestionable authority, and not everything has to be proved via outside links; logic can suffice too.

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? I like you and I do not want to piss you off. Stay awesome. :)

Okay. That's fine. Thanks, Sitara.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:52:35 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:49:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I did not appeal to authority at all because I did not present myself as an authority.

You presented the dictionary as an authority. Just because the dictionary says X about term P, that doesn't make X 100% reflective of the actual way P is used or fully indicative the P implies. A dictionary is not an unquestionable authority, and not everything has to be proved via outside links; logic can suffice too.

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? I like you and I do not want to piss you off. Stay awesome. :)

Thank you. That means a lot. Can you explain something?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:55:00 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:52:35 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Sure thing :) What's up?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:02:06 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:55:00 PM, bsh1 wrote:

How is saying that the dictionary says something an appeal to authority fallacy? I want to understand.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:04:52 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:02:06 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

How is saying that the dictionary says something an appeal to authority fallacy? I want to understand.

An appeal to authority is appealing to anything with authority, and then claiming that because it has authority, it must be true.

So, for example, appealing to the dictionary (it is an authority on words), and then claiming that because it has authority on a subject, it must be correct.

An appeal to authority isn't always a fallacy, but it oftentimes is.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:16:01 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:04:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

An appeal to authority is appealing to anything with authority, and then claiming that because it has authority, it must be true.

So, for example, appealing to the dictionary (it is an authority on words), and then claiming that because it has authority on a subject, it must be correct.

Thank you for helping. I get it now. You are awesome. :)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:17:55 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:16:01 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Sure thing :) Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:55:05 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:17:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

You bet. Are you up for a friendly debate?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:56:22 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:55:05 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/20/2014 4:17:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

You bet. Are you up for a friendly debate?

Maybe in a few days, sure :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics