Jump to topic:

A Contradiction in American Conservatism

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 3:34:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would like to use this post to talk about the contradictory nature of American Conservatism.
In America there is a great admiration for military and a desire for a powerful military among most Conservatives.
However, on the other side, there are people with Right-Wing militia groups who say things along the line of "Im gonna derned darned rebellin' against duh Gubberment! Dey ain't takin' ma gunz an Secund Amindmin!"
Why is this contradictory, one may ask? Well, because one who only has a hunting rifle cannot successfully rebel against a government with a powerful ultra-modern military.
Nor can you prevent this increasingly Left-Leaning Government from taking away your guns and cracking down on what pastors in the pulpit are allowed to say. If they went as far as to outlaw religion, there'd be nothing you could do about it.
But then again, at least you gain security from external threats that you wouldn't have with a smaller military. Also, America cannot maintain its sphere of influence over the world without a strong military. What if ISIS were to attack an America which had a weak military?

Do you understand the contradiction now? Will you have a Libertarian mindset or support a powerful military? You cannot choose both. There are benefits and drawbacks with both, so make your choice, and choose wisely.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 4:42:11 PM
I am not a conservative-- just want to preface with that.

The military would have to get pretty dang weak for it to be evenly challenged solely by an armed citizenry. I can only conclude that a sizeable portion of the military would have to be complicit for any armed rebellion to have a chance.

Also, there are different types of conservatism-- classical liberalism, neoconservatism, paleoconservatism, libertarianism, objectivism, and perhaps more. I think that only the neo type favors a strong, heavily interventionalist military. However, that is the type that seems most dominant in presidential politics.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 9:56:46 PM
At 10/20/2014 4:42:11 PM, Fly wrote:
I am not a conservative-- just want to preface with that.

The military would have to get pretty dang weak for it to be evenly challenged solely by an armed citizenry. I can only conclude that a sizeable portion of the military would have to be complicit for any armed rebellion to have a chance.

Also, there are different types of conservatism-- classical liberalism, neoconservatism, paleoconservatism, libertarianism, objectivism, and perhaps more. I think that only the neo type favors a strong, heavily interventionalist military. However, that is the type that seems most dominant in presidential politics.

Ah. The Neoconservatives are the ones who would've supported the War on Terror and the Iraq War, correct? They are the New Right, which has combined itself with reactionary moral crusaders.
Anyhow, what you just said suggested that Paleoconservatives are against a big military and Neoconservatives are for a big military. Am I right?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 10:46:30 PM
At 10/20/2014 3:34:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I would like to use this post to talk about the contradictory nature of American Conservatism.
In America there is a great admiration for military and a desire for a powerful military among most Conservatives.
However, on the other side, there are people with Right-Wing militia groups who say things along the line of "Im gonna derned darned rebellin' against duh Gubberment! Dey ain't takin' ma gunz an Secund Amindmin!"
Why is this contradictory, one may ask? Well, because one who only has a hunting rifle cannot successfully rebel against a government with a powerful ultra-modern military.

Only the extreme conservative radicals want to overthrow the government using guns. Crazy people would want to storm into the Capitol Building and haul them all out. Most conservatives want to "vote out" the people on office that they don't like, although they do believe that the government is corrupt.

Nor can you prevent this increasingly Left-Leaning Government from taking away your guns and cracking down on what pastors in the pulpit are allowed to say. If they went as far as to outlaw religion, there'd be nothing you could do about it.

Actually, gun control has been losing favor since the 80's, with the minority of people supporting it, so that would be highly unlikely. Also, the First Amendment gives the people the right to petition the government. To go so far as to say the government is going to ban religion is a bit out of reach.

But then again, at least you gain security from external threats that you wouldn't have with a smaller military. Also, America cannot maintain its sphere of influence over the world without a strong military. What if ISIS were to attack an America which had a weak military?

News flash: Conservatives support a strong military.

Do you understand the contradiction now? Will you have a Libertarian mindset or support a powerful military? You cannot choose both. There are benefits and drawbacks with both, so make your choice, and choose wisely.

Sure you can.
When in doubt, start riots and scream racism