Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Consitutional rights for students in school?

TX_Debator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 8:41:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I believe that students do have constitutional rights in school, not because I am a student, but because of basic logic. There have been many court cases made over this, as this is a quite talked about subject. The answer is yes, they do have rights. The constitution guarantees ALL Americans constitutional rights, no matter their age, sex, orientation, race, or ethnicity. Schools are a part of this country, so by law everyone in that building has rights. To say students don't have rights is totalitarian, and completely absurd.
-TX_Debator
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:33:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/20/2014 8:41:51 PM, TX_Debator wrote:
I believe that students do have constitutional rights in school, not because I am a student, but because of basic logic. There have been many court cases made over this, as this is a quite talked about subject. The answer is yes, they do have rights. The constitution guarantees ALL Americans constitutional rights, no matter their age, sex, orientation, race, or ethnicity. Schools are a part of this country, so by law everyone in that building has rights. To say students don't have rights is totalitarian, and completely absurd.

So, Kindergarten children have a right to vote? Or is voting not a right to you?
Do ten-year-olds have a right to a jury trial? Because it is adjudicated in family court (i.e. not public, no jury).
Hell, in America, children are literally required by law to be in school. How is that constitutional?

With that being said, it is clear minors do not have the same rights as adults, nor should they. Further, have you noticed that most of these issues arise in PUBLIC schools? Never is it suggested that a dress code or silence or prayer is an issue at private schools.
My work here is, finally, done.