Jump to topic:

Teen Girls Stopped en route to Join ISIS

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 7:42:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The ISIS ideology is especially virulent in comparison to other terrorist organizations because they appeal to a centuries-old sentiment in Middle-Eastern culture. That sentiment is the ingrained idea of a return to glory for the old Islamic empire. It is not uncommon to hear some Muslim raised in a middle-eastern culture speak of the golden age to come. This appeal draws in young idealists from around the globe in an unprecedented manner. This girl is no exception. I would assume that her plan was to travel to ISIS-held territory for a pre-arranged marriage to a militant.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:11:30 PM
At 10/22/2014 7:42:19 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
The ISIS ideology is especially virulent in comparison to other terrorist organizations because they appeal to a centuries-old sentiment in Middle-Eastern culture. That sentiment is the ingrained idea of a return to glory for the old Islamic empire. It is not uncommon to hear some Muslim raised in a middle-eastern culture speak of the golden age to come. This appeal draws in young idealists from around the globe in an unprecedented manner. This girl is no exception. I would assume that her plan was to travel to ISIS-held territory for a pre-arranged marriage to a militant.

I think that the chances are extremely high that you're right, and generally that's very sad. The way for the Arab world to enter a new golden age is to do what it once did so well:

science, education, mathematics, feats of engineering and trade
Tsar of DDO
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:25:28 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:11:30 PM, YYW wrote:

I think that the chances are extremely high that you're right, and generally that's very sad. The way for the Arab world to enter a new golden age is to do what it once did so well:

Unfortunately, much of the world has become so cynical that even those things are viewed as secret efforts by some unseen group to put down the "Common Man". As a result, progress of this sort is seen as heresy to many people in the middle-east.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:26:12 PM
At 10/22/2014 6:02:08 PM, YYW wrote:

German officials detained the girls, and sent them home. Discuss.

http://www.debate.org...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:29:12 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:25:28 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 10/22/2014 8:11:30 PM, YYW wrote:

Unfortunately, much of the world has become so cynical that even those things are viewed as secret efforts by some unseen group to put down the "Common Man". As a result, progress of this sort is seen as heresy to many people in the middle-east.

That is very, very sad.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:29:45 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:26:12 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 10/22/2014 6:02:08 PM, YYW wrote:

German officials detained the girls, and sent them home. Discuss.

http://www.debate.org...

Yes, and I think I've already responded to that...
Tsar of DDO