Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Minimum Wage and White Men

jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:53:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Interesting historical fact. First minimum wages instituted in states (like Massachusetts) only applied to women and children and was instituted by a group it did not apply to: White Men.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

If the minimum wage is so wonderful, why would adult white men make such a wonderful law only apply to women and children.

If the minimum wage is so awful, then this could be another example of white men oppressing women. But, how many people both oppose the minimum wage and believe that white male privilege is a thing? I don't know of any.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).
My work here is, finally, done.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:48:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

The law I speak of is from 1912
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:50:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 2:48:31 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

The law I speak of is from 1912

Your point?
I highly doubt men were making minimum wage at the time.
Were they?
My work here is, finally, done.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:23:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 2:50:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:48:31 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

The law I speak of is from 1912

Your point?
I highly doubt men were making minimum wage at the time.
Were they?

Since there wasn't a minimum wage prior to the law, by definition they were not making minimum wage.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:25:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 4:23:09 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:50:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:48:31 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

The law I speak of is from 1912

Your point?
I highly doubt men were making minimum wage at the time.
Were they?

Since there wasn't a minimum wage prior to the law, by definition they were not making minimum wage.

Are you really this dense?
Were they making it after the law? I doubt they were.
My work here is, finally, done.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:28:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 4:25:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:23:09 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:50:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:48:31 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

The law I speak of is from 1912

Your point?
I highly doubt men were making minimum wage at the time.
Were they?

Since there wasn't a minimum wage prior to the law, by definition they were not making minimum wage.

Are you really this dense?
Were they making it after the law? I doubt they were.

I don't know. But, you're missing the point of this thread. I'm talking about the relevance of the fact that it ONLY applied to women and children. You think this was because only women and children needed it.

That is not accurate. It is because men saw the need to take care of women and children and thus did not trust them to negotiate their own wages. For men, they opposed the MW for themselves because they thought it infringed their right to free contract.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

So does that mean that not many people (only 3 percent) need the minimum wage?

Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Probably because they weren't making minimum wage.
In fact, last I checked, only about 3% of the population did (federally speaking, probably).

So does that mean that not many people (only 3 percent) need the minimum wage?
That's not relevant to the discussion.
The OP is saying that men should have been included, but men were likely ALL making more than this wage.

Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?
My work here is, finally, done.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...

Consider this fact:
In America, we have more people making our minimum wage than Denmark has in its entire country (i.e. population). Isn't that a bit difficult to compare the two internal dynamics between the countries?
My work here is, finally, done.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...

The disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%.

Consider this fact:
In America, we have more people making our minimum wage than Denmark has in its entire country (i.e. population). Isn't that a bit difficult to compare the two internal dynamics between the countries?

Good point. At best, it should be a continent wide vs. the States to compare.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.
A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)


And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...

The disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%.
the average net adjusted disposable income of the top 20% of the population is an estimated 43 644 a year, whereas the bottom 20% live on an estimated 12 183 USD a year.
I see 3.5x or so.
My work here is, finally, done.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:53:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)

Small is beautiful. How about State by State comparisions then?

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...

Correction: The US disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%. It is 3.5x times in Denmark.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 4:53:29 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)

Small is beautiful. How about State by State comparisions then?

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...

Correction: The US disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%. It is 3.5x times in Denmark.

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

But, as soon as you start applying to nations with mass immigration and multiethnic mass societies, the welfare state policies stop working. We already see that happening with Muslim Immigration to Sweden, for example.

The left's obsessive support of multiculturalism and mass immigration, ironically, makes their desired welfare state fail miserably when it really doesn't have to if only they would stop their obsession with globalization and diversity.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 7:30:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:53:29 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)

Small is beautiful. How about State by State comparisions then?

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...
oh wait! what have we here.. OECD? You dont say.

Well <click> on it Nobby go on?

Correction: The US disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%. It is 3.5x times in Denmark.

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

But, as soon as you start applying to nations with mass immigration and multiethnic mass societies, the welfare state policies stop working. We already see that happening with Muslim Immigration to Sweden, for example.

The left's obsessive support of multiculturalism and mass immigration, ironically, makes their desired welfare state fail miserably when it really doesn't have to if only they would stop their obsession with globalization and diversity.

Oh look: In Sweden the top 20% of the population earn more than 4x times the amount as much as the bottom 20%. The US is twice as inequal.

For immigrant children, Sweden has implemented an intensive immersion programme similar to that in other countries that have successfully narrowed the achievement gap between immigrant and non-immigrant children, such as Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Switzerland. As mentioned above, Sweden guarantees adults 240 hours of free language instruction through its Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) programme. This is focused on preparing immigrants for the workplace. As a consequence, the academic performance of Sweden"s immigrant children is impressive.

Well as soon as the US catches up to the immigration debate we will see won't we, Nobby?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 7:37:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

Explain this.
My work here is, finally, done.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:47:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 7:30:13 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:53:29 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)

Small is beautiful. How about State by State comparisions then?

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...
oh wait! what have we here.. OECD? You dont say.

Well <click> on it Nobby go on?

Correction: The US disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%. It is 3.5x times in Denmark.

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

But, as soon as you start applying to nations with mass immigration and multiethnic mass societies, the welfare state policies stop working. We already see that happening with Muslim Immigration to Sweden, for example.

The left's obsessive support of multiculturalism and mass immigration, ironically, makes their desired welfare state fail miserably when it really doesn't have to if only they would stop their obsession with globalization and diversity.

Oh look: In Sweden the top 20% of the population earn more than 4x times the amount as much as the bottom 20%. The US is twice as inequal.

For immigrant children, Sweden has implemented an intensive immersion programme similar to that in other countries that have successfully narrowed the achievement gap between immigrant and non-immigrant children, such as Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Switzerland. As mentioned above, Sweden guarantees adults 240 hours of free language instruction through its Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) programme. This is focused on preparing immigrants for the workplace. As a consequence, the academic performance of Sweden"s immigrant children is impressive.

Well as soon as the US catches up to the immigration debate we will see won't we, Nobby?

http://www.nationalreview.com...

Read ^
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:48:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 7:37:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

Explain this.

What's to explain?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:52:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 8:48:05 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 7:37:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

Explain this.

What's to explain?

Why does it only work in a Caucasian setting?
My work here is, finally, done.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:54:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 8:52:06 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 8:48:05 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 7:37:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

Explain this.

What's to explain?

Why does it only work in a Caucasian setting?

It doesn't. It works in East Asian settings as well as Ashekanazi Jews.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:26:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 8:47:33 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 7:30:13 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 6:40:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:53:29 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:44:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:28:14 PM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 12:09:16 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 11:12:52 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/29/2014 10:57:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:25:00 AM, fazz wrote:
At 10/23/2014 2:11:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Are you Pro or Con on this issue.. check this out: http://blogs.reuters.com...
I'm opposed to it.
If people can't survive on what employers are paying, they won't work there.
Minimum wages only help the unskilled worker, Ironically, minimum wages also hurt them as well, by squeezing out opportunity/jobs.

In Denmark the minimum wage is 2.5 times higher.
And, according to this, America's disposable post-tax income is higher than Denmark's.
http://www.numbeo.com...

What is your point?

Nothing.

Adjusting for income differentials the minimum wage comes to 16.50.

The workers who strike here make 9. So there is still a big gap.

According to Wikipedia, there is no minimum wage in Denmark. It depends on what union you are in. The fact that unions are in control suggests there is not a surplus of employees, unlike in America.

The unemployment rates are the same in both countries.

A 1% unemployment rate is 3 million Americans vs. 55,000 Danes.
(actually, it's probably more like 1.5 million Americans vs. 33,000 Danes)

Small is beautiful. How about State by State comparisions then?

And if there is a similar amount of disposable income, what difference does it make if there is a gap? In fact, the disposible income of the bottom 20% and the top 20% is a matter of 3.5x, which suggests much less mobility, then in America.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org...
oh wait! what have we here.. OECD? You dont say.

Well <click> on it Nobby go on?

Correction: The US disposable income of the top 20% of the population earn approximately 8.0x as much as the bottom 20%. It is 3.5x times in Denmark.

This comparison is further proof that liberals/progressives ultimately cause their own undoing. Progressive economic policies (high taxes, strong unions, high minimum wages, large welfare states, etc) work wonderfully in a small, ethnically caucasian country like Denmark where everybody has a strong sense of community and strong commitment to Denmark.

But, as soon as you start applying to nations with mass immigration and multiethnic mass societies, the welfare state policies stop working. We already see that happening with Muslim Immigration to Sweden, for example.

The left's obsessive support of multiculturalism and mass immigration, ironically, makes their desired welfare state fail miserably when it really doesn't have to if only they would stop their obsession with globalization and diversity.

Oh look: In Sweden the top 20% of the population earn more than 4x times the amount as much as the bottom 20%. The US is twice as inequal.

For immigrant children, Sweden has implemented an intensive immersion programme similar to that in other countries that have successfully narrowed the achievement gap between immigrant and non-immigrant children, such as Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Switzerland. As mentioned above, Sweden guarantees adults 240 hours of free language instruction through its Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) programme. This is focused on preparing immigrants for the workplace. As a consequence, the academic performance of Sweden"s immigrant children is impressive.

Well as soon as the US catches up to the immigration debate we will see won't we, Nobby?

Read ^

http://www.nationalreview.com...

Read ^

It says voucher system sucks. Capitalism good.

The academic performance of Sweden"s immigrant children is still above average. Who cares if them Nordic people are dumber than dumb.
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 11:34:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 1:53:59 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
Interesting historical fact. First minimum wages instituted in states (like Massachusetts) only applied to women and children and was instituted by a group it did not apply to: White Men.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

If the minimum wage is so wonderful, why would adult white men make such a wonderful law only apply to women and children.

If the minimum wage is so awful, then this could be another example of white men oppressing women. But, how many people both oppose the minimum wage and believe that white male privilege is a thing? I don't know of any.

You have a potentially fascinating and relevant thread topic here, but your premise lacks context, detail, and substance. Your link refers to a single sentence claim. That is not the stuff that national, or even state policy debates are made of.

Also, your later link to the National Review has nothing to do with minimum wage laws.

Can you expand (a lot more) upon the subject you are presenting here, please?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz