Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Charles, Putting Money Where Your Mouth is.

TryingToBeOpenMinded
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:26:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've only just realized that Charles has been an ardent fighter for Communism for many years. He's come to this forum over and over again for his cause. I admire his passion. Further, I don't necessarily disagree with some of his points. But, I do disagree with his lack of details which is his downfall.

If Charles is so impassioned, why not start a commune that implements the ideas that he's so passionate about. See if it really works. Put money where his mouth is.

Just as an entrepreneur has to dedicate their life to a new business, is Charles willing to dedicate his life in starting such a commune?

Is his love for his fellow man enough to drive him to do this? Or, perhaps, the lack of monetary incentive prevents him from doing so? Perhaps, there isn't sufficient incentive to uproot his life and he's being lazy about it?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 12:54:31 AM
At 10/24/2014 11:26:52 AM, TryingToBeOpenMinded wrote:
I've only just realized that Charles has been an ardent fighter for Communism for many years. He's come to this forum over and over again for his cause. I admire his passion. Further, I don't necessarily disagree with some of his points. But, I do disagree with his lack of details which is his downfall.

If Charles is so impassioned, why not start a commune that implements the ideas that he's so passionate about. See if it really works. Put money where his mouth is.

Just as an entrepreneur has to dedicate their life to a new business, is Charles willing to dedicate his life in starting such a commune?

Is his love for his fellow man enough to drive him to do this? Or, perhaps, the lack of monetary incentive prevents him from doing so? Perhaps, there isn't sufficient incentive to uproot his life and he's being lazy about it?

One could argue that the validity or substantiveness of my identity as a communist is determined by whether I'm an activist or an armchair proponent of my communist vision, but it's quite obviously an ad hominem fallacy to suggest that the validity and value of my vision, of communism, is determined by the extent to which I "put my money where my mouth is", that it hinges on whether or not I'm willing to do the hard work involved in operationalizing my ideas. And as it's also the case that I have no ego need to defend my character I see no need to offer any more of a response.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 10:56:49 AM
At 10/24/2014 11:26:52 AM, TryingToBeOpenMinded wrote:

I currently live in a commune. No one gets paid for doing any of the work around here, and there are no laws or law enforcers. It works.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:23:58 AM
At 10/27/2014 10:56:49 AM, Wocambs wrote:

I currently live in a commune. No one gets paid for doing any of the work around here, and there are no laws or law enforcers. It works.

Tell me more.
Where is this? In an isolated area, or in the middle of a city?
How many people are there?
How long has it been established?
Do you have rules of any kind? If so, who enforces them? What are they?
How do you deal with immigration into your community?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:26:47 AM
At 10/27/2014 11:23:58 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Tell me more.

Oh, it's right in the middle of the city. There are three of us, and a dog. We've been here for fourteen years now. There used to be rules, but we outgrew them. No one's ever tried to say with us without asking first.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:29:49 AM
At 10/27/2014 11:26:47 AM, Wocambs wrote:

Tell me more.

Oh, it's right in the middle of the city. There are three of us, and a dog. We've been here for fourteen years now. There used to be rules, but we outgrew them. No one's ever tried to say with us without asking first.

That's disappointing :(
It basically sounds like a family, which is essentially a commune.
I was hoping for a much larger scale.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:51:14 AM
At 10/27/2014 11:29:49 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/27/2014 11:26:47 AM, Wocambs wrote:

Tell me more.

That's disappointing :(
It basically sounds like a family, which is essentially a commune.
I was hoping for a much larger scale.

I don't really think anything would convince people. If we had borders, then they would say we were not anarchists. If we did not, then we'd have to deal with people who need a lot of help, and their poor condition, no fault of our own, would be blamed on us. We would still be subject to the laws of whichever country we inhabited, and they would almost certainly use this to continually undermine us - Freetown Christiania suffers for this exact reason. The government don't let them build anything and use the drug trade, and the violence it brings because it is criminalised, as a reason to interfere. We would never have enough resources in our small territory to be anything like self-sufficient, and so we would in all likelihood just be an unconventional group of people who, for all real purposes, live in a capitalist society. In a way it's the capitalist mindset which undermines this whole effort. People like OpenMinded seem to think that is is actually possible to accomplish with fifty people what a whole global economy does, because, you know, we're all self-made men who live in a bubble wherein our work directly translates into a better life. We are far more dependent on each other than that.