Jump to topic:

Dilma Rousseff is Reelected

joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:22:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The first female president of Brazil was reelected in the second round of voting last Sunday to another 4-year term, in what was the narrowest margin of victory in the history of the country (51.64% against 48.36% won by the opposition candidate Aecio Neves). Besides being the most contested elections ever, it was also marked by personal attacks and blatant lies in a level never before seen, being responsible for the elimination of Marina Silva, the environmentalist and reformist candidate who seemed to be the biggest threat to Dilma's campaign still in the first round, increasing the polarization between the two main parties, the (rhetorically) leftist Workers' Party (PT) of Dilma and Aecio's Social Democracy Party (PSDB, which is anything but social democratic), consolidating 20 years of polarization between these parties, and 6 out of 7 presidential elections since re-democratization that were decided between them.

How do you think that this will affect Brazil's future and the relations with the rest of the world?
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
Lupo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:01:13 AM
The Brazilian left-party always have a personal hate to the Americans.
I think with the actual conflict between US and Russia, in the Ukraine situation, the Brazilian economic is making deals closer to Russia and further away from the US.
This party has a track record of friendship with countries that hate the United States, such as Cuba and Venezuela.
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:42:34 PM
At 10/28/2014 10:01:13 AM, Lupo wrote:
The Brazilian left-party always have a personal hate to the Americans.
I think with the actual conflict between US and Russia, in the Ukraine situation, the Brazilian economic is making deals closer to Russia and further away from the US.
This party has a track record of friendship with countries that hate the United States, such as Cuba and Venezuela.

There is no chance that Brazil will ever pick a side in any conflict like the one in Ukraine, it would go against the constitutional principles of foreign affairs, however,Brazilian companies will obviously try to take advantage of the American and European sanctions on Russia to gain the markets in a country that never had any relevant ties with Brazil before (actually they are already doing it), but even considering that, I don't think that the Ukrainian conflict will have any considerable impact in Brazilian foreign politics.
As for the ties with Venezuela and Cuba, I believe that they play an important role with any leftist party in Latin America, but I think the links between the PT government and them are more rhetorical than concrete, still, I wish that the Brazilian government developed a friendship with other countries in the region (like Peru, Chile and Colombia) as deep as the ones it has with Venezuela and Cuba, it's never wise for a regional power to encourage a division between the countries in the region.
The relations with the United States, however, have cooled down mostly due to the Americans than Brazilians or their friends, especially after the NSA scandal. Before that, the Brazilian government was trying to improve these relations (although not as emphatically as it could)
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...