james14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 7:40:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Our (the US's) Federal Government is ridiculously out of control:

1) National Debt

2) A huge, centralized Federal government that has invaded the State's jurisdiction in almost every area.

3) Government regulations are crushing business.

4) The three branches are not countering each other but rather helping each other grow and grow.

The solution: A Convention of States to call for the limitation and reduction of federal government to constitutional proportions. This would be a convention that would be called by the states for the purpose of adding constitutional amendments. I believe this is a good idea and maybe the only way to save America.

What do you think?
www.conventionofstates.com

P.S. -- please don't quote ALL of this in your replies, for the purpose of making this conversation easy to read.
Maybe I'm a genius; maybe not.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 7:57:33 PM
1) not a serious problem that can't be fixed within the current system.

2) not an inherent issue

3) we are seeing sustained job growth that is mirroring the 90s, one of our best economic decades ever.

4) this is an issue but a convention won't help.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
james14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 5:47:29 PM
At 10/31/2014 7:57:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

2) not an inherent issue

3) we are seeing sustained job growth that is mirroring the 90s, one of our best economic decades ever.

You must be a Democrat.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:26:23 PM
At 11/1/2014 5:47:29 PM, james14 wrote:
At 10/31/2014 7:57:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

2) not an inherent issue

You must be a Democrat.

Nope, and if I was, that wouldn't really affect the validity of my points.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:39:15 PM
This would be, to put it simply, impossible. According to Cook PVI there are 26 Republican-leaning states. You would need 34 states to agree to limit the federal government's powers, which would mean you'd need to convince 8 blue states to join in. That's assuming of course, that all red states join in, even though some red states have split legislatures and many others are very, very close.
james14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 10:22:54 AM
Not impossible. If enough people lobby, then the legislatures are very likely to acquiesce. They will not ignore it if each of the legislators are getting thousands of emails, which is what conventionofstates.com is about.

Like it or not, our government is in trouble. The trillions in debt are a debt that future generations (such as my generation) will have to pay off sooner or later. Those people who don't care about the mounting debt are those who want to enjoy their benefits now and let their kids pay the bill.

Besides, we have strayed FAR away from Constitutional boundaries. The Commerce Clause and General Welfare Clause are both interpreted FAR too broadly, giving Congress power to legislate that is nearly unlimited.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 6:04:46 PM
We don't need a convention of states, what we need is more moderate politicians. They don't have to be Republicans or Democrats, they just can't be extremists. The extreme right and left have polarized every issue this country has and have made them impossible to handle.

1. Moderates can compromise on how to resolve our deficit, extremists will just trash talk each other.

2. We really don't need any concept of 'State sovereignty' anymore. That idea is hundreds of years old and not much applicable now. State governments are useful in that they oversee the direction of spending, which is why it's so much more efficient at a state level, but that's about it. The federal government should oversee the state governments, to a large extent.

3. What regulations are you talking about?

4. I agree here. And to be fair, it's most the legislative branch letting the executive grow. Extremists don't resolve issues, they aggravate them, so rampant government growth goes unchecked.

Again, it should be the job of moderate politicians to take control of the Senate, House, and Executive Branch and drag the extremists into the next ****ing century.