Jump to topic:

Apologising to the Pope

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 10:24:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
An official Foreign Office document circulated around the British Government last week included a number of recommendations for the Pope's forthcoming visit to Britain.

The document read: "The ideal visit would see…"

1. The Pope open an abortion clinic;
2. The Pope bless a gay marriage;
3. The Pope launch a range of Benedict-branded condoms;
4. The Pope apologise for the Spanish Armada;
5. The Pope sack all paedophile priests and launch a helpline for sexually abused children.

After the contents of the document were leaked to the press, the British Government apologised to the Vatican.

http://news.sky.com...

Why? Has the Pope apologised for covering up the systematic and wholesale sexual abuse of children? No, of course he hasn't.

Instead of apologising, what the Government should have done was call the Pope and say: "Now listen here, Your Holiness, if you don't agree to perform each and every one of the tasks on that list you can consider your entry visa well and truly cancelled."

Saying sorry to the Pope was a mistake. Paedophiles and their papal apologists are not welcome in this country so if the Pope took offence at the contents of the document and decided to cancel his visit then so much the better.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 10:32:44 AM
I must admit I got a chuckle out of seeing that memo. Someone has a sense of humour at the Foreign Office it seems.

But, really, Brian, can you expect them to not apologize? Granted, the Pope's actions are despicable, and they're god-awful and pretty much criminal in most regards, but he is still the leader of the largest Christian sect in the world, of which a large amount of Britons follow. For better or for worse, the Pope can't be seen to be kept out by a Protestant-dominated English government agency with a high-and-mighty sense of justice, no matter how well placed it is.

It's better to tell the Pope where to go in person, than to keep him out and risk shifting the negativity away from his actions and towards the British government's.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 10:40:40 AM
At 4/26/2010 10:32:44 AM, Volkov wrote:
I must admit I got a chuckle out of seeing that memo. Someone has a sense of humour at the Foreign Office it seems.

But, really, Brian, can you expect them to not apologize? Granted, the Pope's actions are despicable, and they're god-awful and pretty much criminal in most regards, but he is still the leader of the largest Christian sect in the world, of which a large amount of Britons follow. For better or for worse, the Pope can't be seen to be kept out by a Protestant-dominated English government agency with a high-and-mighty sense of justice, no matter how well placed it is.

It's better to tell the Pope where to go in person, than to keep him out and risk shifting the negativity away from his actions and towards the British government's.

Yes, I know you are right but still...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 11:32:41 AM
At 4/26/2010 10:24:26 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
An official Foreign Office document circulated around the British Government last week included a number of recommendations for the Pope's forthcoming visit to Britain.

5. The Pope sack all paedophile priests and launch a helpline for sexually abused children.

After the contents of the document were leaked to the press, the British Government apologised to the Vatican.

http://news.sky.com...

Why? Has the Pope apologised for covering up the systematic and wholesale sexual abuse of children? No, of course he hasn't.

Instead of apologising, what the Government should have done was call the Pope and say: "Now listen here, Your Holiness, if you don't agree to perform each and every one of the tasks on that list you can consider your entry visa well and truly cancelled."

Saying sorry to the Pope was a mistake. Paedophiles and their papal apologists are not welcome in this country so if the Pope took offence at the contents of the document and decided to cancel his visit then so much the better.

you should assassinate him.
signature
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 1:42:50 PM
I can agree with Number 5, but with all of the others, they are the Catholic religion's stances on things, and he really shouldn't go back on them. And why should the Pope of today apologize for the Spanish Armada of centuries ago? Seriously?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 1:48:09 PM
The foreign office should apoligise to the Pope/Vatican because that is what you do when you insult a foreign power.

The issue of abuse is a seperate one, and on a seperate matter the trip should be cancelled.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 1:50:35 PM
At 4/26/2010 1:48:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The foreign office should apoligise to the Pope/Vatican because that is what you do when you insult a foreign power.

The issue of abuse is a seperate one, and on a seperate matter the trip should be cancelled.

Godwins law

If a letter was leaked by Germany embassy in 1940 from the British foreign office mocking Hitler, should Britain apologise?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 1:57:26 PM
At 4/26/2010 10:24:26 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

That is an insult to the Pope.

Insult.

Insult.

Nonsencial.

Perfectly valid.

He is not being apoligised to due to his links to paedophiles, but because he was insulted diplomatically. Which is the correct way, diplomacy has to follow rules. We can still legitimately criticise him for paedophilia, but this memo undermines our authority.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 2:03:03 PM

Insult.

....To the Homosexual community who are basically refused recognition by the Pope daily.

Insult.

....To the millions of Africans who have HIV\AIDS as a result of the Churchs abstinence program?

Nonsencial.

"The king was supported by Pope Sixtus V, who treated the invasion as a crusade, with the promise of a further subsidy should the Armada make land."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 2:10:25 PM
At 4/26/2010 2:03:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Insult.

....To the Homosexual community who are basically refused recognition by the Pope daily.

Does anybody have a right to be recognized by the Pope?

Nonsencial.

"The king was supported by Pope Sixtus V, who treated the invasion as a crusade, with the promise of a further subsidy should the Armada make land."

And that's the current Pope's fault because...?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 2:10:50 PM
At 4/26/2010 1:50:35 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/26/2010 1:48:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Godwins law

If a letter was leaked by Germany embassy in 1940 from the British foreign office mocking Hitler, should Britain apologise?

I think the war renders that moot.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 2:13:56 PM
At 4/26/2010 2:03:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Insult.

The homosexual community is not owed recognition by the Pope for the same reason that the homosexual community are not expected to acknowledge the claim that God hates them.

Insult.

....To the millions of Africans who have HIV\AIDS as a result of the Churchs abstinence program?

How do you get AIDS if you abstain from sex?

Nonsencial.

But in reality it was just as much a secular matter, and has long passed from living memory.