Jump to topic:

My advice for the antigay crowd.

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 6:30:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you do not like same sex marriage, do not marry someone of the same sex. Gays have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as anyone else.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 7:28:46 PM
At 11/2/2014 6:30:43 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
If you do not like same sex marriage, do not marry someone of the same sex. Gays have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as anyone else.

Good advice. If you don't like pedophiles, don't molest children.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:36:02 PM
At 11/2/2014 7:28:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

More like if you don't like getting caught, don't molest children.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:37:53 PM
At 11/2/2014 8:36:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

More like if you don't like getting caught, don't molest children.

They usually get away with it for a long time, actually.

The DDO Blog:

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:08:17 PM

If you don't like rape, don't rape people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:10:06 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:08:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Exactly! We need to be tolerant of the alternate lifestyles of rapists and lipodiverse people.

The DDO Blog:

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:26:31 PM

That is a bigoted thing to say. two consenting adults getting married has nothing to do with child rape.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:27:54 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:08:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Not all gays are rapists. Gay couples getting married has nothing to do with rape.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:28:01 PM

What an original argument!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:29:22 PM

I actually lol'd at this
Nolite Timere
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:30:43 PM

Don't force churches to marry them if they don't want to then.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:36:22 PM

How is being gay comparable to being a pedophile?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:38:31 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:36:22 PM, SamStevens wrote:

No doubt they will use religion to justify their bigotry.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:39:48 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:30:43 PM, Haroush wrote:

I am not forcing churches to marry them. I am just saying that gays should be able to get married elsewhere if they want.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:47:55 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:39:48 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I am not forcing churches to marry them. I am just saying that gays should be able to get married elsewhere if they want.

Well if gay marriage is going to be respected, then those who are part of the pro gay marriage stance need to stop protesting against churches and sewing catering companies for not servicing them.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:48:15 PM

How far does a religious exemption exist, then? For instance, if a church has a gym or something similar that they'll rent out for receptions and conferences and the like (provided they align with the church worldview, of course), and a gay couple wants to rent it for their wedding. Should the church be required to host the gay wedding on it's property?
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:12:20 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:48:15 PM, TN05 wrote:

How far does a religious exemption exist, then? For instance, if a church has a gym or something similar that they'll rent out for receptions and conferences and the like (provided they align with the church worldview, of course), and a gay couple wants to rent it for their wedding. Should the church be required to host the gay wedding on it's property?

No. I do not want to force churches to help gays get married. I just want to provide the chance for gays to get married in a courthouse. I am bisexual. If I fall in love with a woman and she is willing, I can find a gay friendly church or get married in a courthouse.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:28:06 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:36:22 PM, SamStevens wrote:

We weren't makong that comparison. We were making an example of the "if you don't like X then don't do X" as a poor line of logic. It is known as reduction to the absurd.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:35:18 PM
At 11/2/2014 10:12:20 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 11/2/2014 9:48:15 PM, TN05 wrote:

No. I do not want to force churches to help gays get married. I just want to provide the chance for gays to get married in a courthouse. I am bisexual. If I fall in love with a woman and she is willing, I can find a gay friendly church or get married in a courthouse.

In that case I don't have much to argue about. I will say you are a minority opinion in the pro gay-marriage side in that scenario, however.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:08:44 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:26:31 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

That is a bigoted thing to say. two consenting adults getting married has nothing to do with child rape.

I'm not saying that the two acts are the same thing, or on the same scale. What I am pointing out, however, is that your argument is invalid, as everything you said in the OP could be applied to pedophilia. And none of that is reason to justify pedophilia.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:10:14 PM

Really? Because what I've heard is that in at least one European nation churches are forced to marry any gay couple which wants to be married there.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:11:46 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:47:55 PM, Haroush wrote:

Well if gay marriage is going to be respected, then those who are part of the pro gay marriage stance need to stop protesting against churches and sueing catering companies for not servicing them.

Fixed (spelling Nazi strikes again!)

The DDO Blog:

chaedd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 9:51:52 AM
The thing about gays are like pedophiles is just sarcasm, but gays are not completely unlike pedophiles in that their sexuality is not considered normal.
Now if I am talking about someone else's sexuality, it is none of my business. However, people will judge you, and if they think you are doing wrong , they won't think you have a right to do it.
e.g. Jerry Lee Lewis went to England and brought his wife with him. Their relationship was considered normal in the part of Louisiana they were from, but the English would not tolerate it.
She was his cousin and she looked young enough to be his daughter, so they thought he was not unlike a naughty uncle who would commit statutory rape and incest, when the lights went out.
Their opinion was she was a child, and even if all the people who lived in the swamp his home was in thought she was his wife, she was still a child.
If a straight man thought children were sexy and he had this cute little 15 year old girlfriend who was his fiance' ,they would not be considered to be 2 consenting adults of the opposite sex, so he could not get a marriage license.
Now if he says he has redefined marriage as 1 adult and 1 consenting child, nobody will agree with him.
Now that gays have redefined marriage and gotten away with it, they appear to have 1 more right than straight people have.
If a straight guy wanted to redefine marriage and he removed the word "consenting" or "adult" and married a fiance' he kidnapped, or a child, he would not get away with it, nor would some guy who changed it to 3 consenting adults and described himself as a Mormon so his right to freedom of religion allows him to marry another woman. People would remove the 2nd m when they described him.
So, why can the gays lose the part about being of the opposite sex?
Redspectre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 5:42:26 PM

If you dont like legalized rape, then dont rape but let the others rape
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 5:44:31 PM
At 11/3/2014 5:42:26 PM, Redspectre wrote:

Same sex marriage does not lead to rape.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 5:46:21 PM
At 11/3/2014 9:51:52 AM, chaedd wrote:
The thing about gays are like pedophiles is just sarcasm, but gays are not completely unlike pedophiles in that their sexuality is not considered normal.
Now if I am talking about someone else's sexuality, it is none of my business. However, people will judge you, and if they think you are doing wrong , they won't think you have a right to do it.
e.g. Jerry Lee Lewis went to England and brought his wife with him. Their relationship was considered normal in the part of Louisiana they were from, but the English would not tolerate it.
She was his cousin and she looked young enough to be his daughter, so they thought he was not unlike a naughty uncle who would commit statutory rape and incest, when the lights went out.
Their opinion was she was a child, and even if all the people who lived in the swamp his home was in thought she was his wife, she was still a child.
If a straight man thought children were sexy and he had this cute little 15 year old girlfriend who was his fiance' ,they would not be considered to be 2 consenting adults of the opposite sex, so he could not get a marriage license.
Now if he says he has redefined marriage as 1 adult and 1 consenting child, nobody will agree with him.
Now that gays have redefined marriage and gotten away with it, they appear to have 1 more right than straight people have.
If a straight guy wanted to redefine marriage and he removed the word "consenting" or "adult" and married a fiance' he kidnapped, or a child, he would not get away with it, nor would some guy who changed it to 3 consenting adults and described himself as a Mormon so his right to freedom of religion allows him to marry another woman. People would remove the 2nd m when they described him.
So, why can the gays lose the part about being of the opposite sex?

Same sex marriage is nothing like child rape. Love is love if it is two consenting adults.
Redspectre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 5:47:37 PM
At 11/3/2014 5:44:31 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net...
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 5:49:14 PM
At 11/3/2014 5:47:37 PM, Redspectre wrote:
At 11/3/2014 5:44:31 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net...

You need to stop trolling and debate the facts. It is bigoted to compare same sex marriage to rape.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 6:04:25 PM

The problem (one of many) with the libertarian perspective (which I am assuming you have) is that some people might derive pleasure from opposing same-sex marriage. Not me, but it's a possibility. Also, those "rights" were invented by people in a movement- how are those "rights" objective? How are we all entitled to them? Some people believe God is a human construct; who is to say that "unalienable rights" are not?
You can call me Mark if you like.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 6:14:17 PM
At 11/3/2014 6:04:25 PM, debate_power wrote:

The problem (one of many) with the libertarian perspective (which I am assuming you have) is that some people might derive pleasure from opposing same-sex marriage. Not me, but it's a possibility. Also, those "rights" were invented by people in a movement- how are those "rights" objective? How are we all entitled to them? Some people believe God is a human construct; who is to say that "unalienable rights" are not?

I agree.