Jump to topic:

Gulf Oil Spill

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 12:01:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm sure everyone has heard about this by now. An oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, just off the Louisiana coast and Mississippi Delta, sank into the ocean, and started leaking oil, almost 5,000 barrels of it per day, into what is considered a very fragile ecosystem. Several wildlife preserves dot the costs around the site, and oil has already beached along several islands and preserves. For an indepth look at the size of this, scroll to the bottom of this page: http://news.bbc.co.uk...

That same page is an article about the Obama administration's moratorium on offshore drilling until the cause of the accident is figured out. which I think is a fairly reasonable position to take. However, I have a feeling some here may disagree. I'm wondering what justification is possible, given the extensive damage that will end up being done by this situation.

Also, what will this do to the movements calling for more offshore drilling, coming from both the GOP and Democrats? If the damage is truly severe, this could really energize the population against more drilling. It is, after all, events like these which drive up opposition. Look at the fallout from Chernobyl or even Three Mile Island. Will either Dems or the GOP change their position?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 1:43:25 PM
ebil muslems esplodign oil rigs...! givign covr for demoncrat ubamo and libs to strt glbal waming scam...!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 9:11:15 AM
At 5/1/2010 9:10:05 AM, frenchmoosetwo wrote:
i will clean it with supper vacum

Where can I get one of these super vacuums? I want one! :D
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 10:19:48 AM
for many Dems, it will be a catalyst for "no more oil" but I think most Dems and even many moderate republicans it will be a catalyst for "more safety regulations" and the whole while, the further right and far right republicans (that were shouting "drill baby drill") are gonna be rather quite. Only the EXTREME right are gonna be looking for some way to blame Obama for this, like by calling it "Obama's Katrina"

http://www.reuters.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:19:22 PM
I just don't comprehend how such a massive process of taking care of oil sources and such doesn't have a good system of preventing breaks or spills.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:28:54 PM
At 5/1/2010 7:19:22 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I just don't comprehend how such a massive process of taking care of oil sources and such doesn't have a good system of preventing breaks or spills.

I was thinking the same thing.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:29:01 PM
At 5/1/2010 7:17:04 PM, comoncents wrote:
Drill baby drill!!!!!

Why?

If this disaster can happen so easily and threaten so much, is drilling offshore such a good idea, comon?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:32:46 PM
At 5/1/2010 7:19:22 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

... how much oil do we use?

... how often do you hear about large oil spills?

its like asking after a plane crash why airplanes don't have a system to prevent accidents. they have many! they're simply not infallible...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
donniedarko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:32:52 PM
At 5/1/2010 7:29:01 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/1/2010 7:17:04 PM, comoncents wrote:
Drill baby drill!!!!!

Why?

If this disaster can happen so easily and threaten so much, is drilling offshore such a good idea, comon?

I fail to see what the big deal is, the company is paying for it, and will clean it up completely. The company will fail most likely and better companies who take care of their oil drilling and regulate it better will take his place.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:45:42 PM
At 5/1/2010 7:32:52 PM, donniedarko wrote:
I fail to see what the big deal is, the company is paying for it, and will clean it up completely. The company will fail most likely and better companies who take care of their oil drilling and regulate it better will take his place.

First off, there is no way BP is going to fail. That's the worst thing I've heard in a while. They'll be reprimanded, but it won't be much more than gesture. And I have some serious doubts about the reliability of consumers on this matter.

Secondly, simply "cleaning it up" doesn't solve the problem. The damage done to the ecosystem which this will effect will stay for years. Cleaning ducks doesn't solve the problem. There is no way to reverse the damage completely. If it doesn't get contained, it will f*ck up a helluva lot.

Thirdly, the entire point of the thread was to discuss what the fallout will be. If there are more regulations and safety precautions, then all the better. But it's a legitimate question to ask whether or not offshore drilling will or even should continue, given the risks. What will happen to "drill baby drill" if it loses steam?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 7:58:04 PM
SWAT TEAMS TO THE RESCUE!
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 9:20:37 PM
Here is a sample of the benefits using hemp.

Farming 6% of the continental U.S. acreage with biomass crops would provide all of America's energy needs.

Hemp is Earth's number-one biomass resource; it is capable of producing 10 tons per acre in four months.

Biomass can be converted to methane, methanol, or gasoline at a cost comparable to petroleum, and hemp is much better for the environment. Pyrolysis (charcoalizing), or biochemical composting are two methods of turning hemp into fuel.

Hemp can produce 10 times more methanol than corn.

Hemp fuel burns clean. Petroleum causes acid rain due to sulfur pollution.

The use of hemp fuel does not contribute to global warming.

so...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://stash.norml.org...