Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Overpopulation.

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Overpopulation, limited resources, growth of consumption, environmentalism and the like.
What are your opinions? Are these real problems? What are the solutions?

Please watch these videos.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 10:37:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What are the solutions?
World War 3, so the dead can finally get some equality.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 11:50:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 11:27:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Any more insightful ideas?

It's invertible you can't stop it. The answer as Rez put is war.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
donniedarko
Posts: 101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 11:53:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation, limited resources, growth of consumption, environmentalism and the like.
What are your opinions? Are these real problems? What are the solutions?

Overpopulation does not exist for species with the ability to reason. Population has increased rapidly throughout the years, however the standard of living has only improved.

Technological advances aided by more efficient, less corrupt governments are the solution to world hunger and overpopulation, not a world war.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 11:53:30 PM, donniedarko wrote:
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation, limited resources, growth of consumption, environmentalism and the like.
What are your opinions? Are these real problems? What are the solutions?

Overpopulation does not exist for species with the ability to reason. Population has increased rapidly throughout the years, however the standard of living has only improved.

Technological advances aided by more efficient, less corrupt governments are the solution to world hunger and overpopulation, not a world war.

Overpopulation is indisputable. Take a look at the videos. A big change needs to happen.
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 11:59:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/1/2010 11:53:30 PM, donniedarko wrote:
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation, limited resources, growth of consumption, environmentalism and the like.
What are your opinions? Are these real problems? What are the solutions?

Overpopulation does not exist for species with the ability to reason. Population has increased rapidly throughout the years, however the standard of living has only improved.

Technological advances aided by more efficient, less corrupt governments are the solution to world hunger and overpopulation, not a world war.

Overpopulation is indisputable. Take a look at the videos. A big change needs to happen.
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Like always.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
donniedarko
Posts: 101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:04:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation is indisputable. Take a look at the videos. A big change needs to happen.
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Argument from ignorance.

Also argument from stupidity.

1. Overpopulation is absolutely disputable

Evidence: http://www.indexmundi.com...

If overpopulation would be occurring you would find that the standard of living (GDP PPP) would be rapidly declining, however it is doing the exact opposite.

2. The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher.

The following shows clear ignorance in basic economics. Anyone who has learned how supply and demand charts will laugh at the ignorance emitting from this statement.

3. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Vague lofty statements exemplified by conspiracy-theory youtube videos do not impress me. Define global catastrophe.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:16:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
There is no such thing as overpopulation, there is such a thing as mismanagement of resources though.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:17:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:04:18 AM, donniedarko wrote:
At 5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation is indisputable. Take a look at the videos. A big change needs to happen.
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Argument from ignorance.

Also argument from stupidity.

1. Overpopulation is absolutely disputable

Evidence: http://www.indexmundi.com...

If overpopulation would be occurring you would find that the standard of living (GDP PPP) would be rapidly declining, however it is doing the exact opposite.

2. The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher.

The following shows clear ignorance in basic economics. Anyone who has learned how supply and demand charts will laugh at the ignorance emitting from this statement.

3. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Vague lofty statements exemplified by conspiracy-theory youtube videos do not impress me. Define global catastrophe.

OH MY GOD YOU BABBLING RETARD! Just watch the videos! It is shown through pure and simple arithmetic! No conspiracy theories.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:18:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:16:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There is no such thing as overpopulation, there is such a thing as mismanagement of resources though.

Describe what you mean by the difference.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:21:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
To anyone reading, please do watch all the videos, they are extremely interesting and vital to the discussion.
By the way, I have been on the conservative side of this issue all my life until just recently after pursing the facts.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
donniedarko
Posts: 101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:33:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:17:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:04:18 AM, donniedarko wrote:
At 5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Overpopulation is indisputable. Take a look at the videos. A big change needs to happen.
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Argument from ignorance.

Also argument from stupidity.

1. Overpopulation is absolutely disputable

Evidence: http://www.indexmundi.com...

If overpopulation would be occurring you would find that the standard of living (GDP PPP) would be rapidly declining, however it is doing the exact opposite.

2. The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher.

The following shows clear ignorance in basic economics. Anyone who has learned how supply and demand charts will laugh at the ignorance emitting from this statement.

3. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Vague lofty statements exemplified by conspiracy-theory youtube videos do not impress me. Define global catastrophe.

OH MY GOD YOU BABBLING RETARD! Just watch the videos! It is shown through pure and simple arithmetic! No conspiracy theories.

http://www.debate.org...

Because I'm generally concerned about your sleep and well-being
donniedarko
Posts: 101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:40:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:21:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:
To anyone reading, please do watch all the videos, they are extremely interesting and vital to the discussion.
By the way, I have been on the conservative side of this issue all my life until just recently after pursing the facts.

Lol facts or conspiracy theory youtube videos with no grounding whatsoever in basic economics.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:43:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:18:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:16:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There is no such thing as overpopulation, there is such a thing as mismanagement of resources though.

Describe what you mean by the difference.

The global population is growing at a consistent rate. We can support 7 billion people, one day we will support 14 billion people.

Now of course if all those 7 billion people are consuming resources at the rate of Michael Moore it is unlikely that can be sustained. So really it is a question of managament not overpopulation.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:27:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Please watch these videos.

No. 80mins of videos and *you* complain writing the argument is too time consuming?

If you can't reduce it to a simple few arguments, then there are concerns.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:42:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 12:43:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:18:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:16:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There is no such thing as overpopulation, there is such a thing as mismanagement of resources though.

Describe what you mean by the difference.

The global population is growing at a consistent rate. We can support 7 billion people, one day we will support 14 billion people.

Now of course if all those 7 billion people are consuming resources at the rate of Michael Moore it is unlikely that can be sustained. So really it is a question of managament not overpopulation.

It's the same thing. Overpopulation is simply having too high of a population for the amount of resources.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:45:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:27:51 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/1/2010 10:33:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Please watch these videos.

No. 80mins of videos and *you* complain writing the argument is too time consuming?

If you can't reduce it to a simple few arguments, then there are concerns.

Suit yourself. I took the time to watch them and will probably be going to bed soon. I must say that they were quite shocking. And am now, only after watching them, considering myself on the left side of the issue.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:49:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:42:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:43:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:18:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 12:16:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There is no such thing as overpopulation, there is such a thing as mismanagement of resources though.

Describe what you mean by the difference.

The global population is growing at a consistent rate. We can support 7 billion people, one day we will support 14 billion people.

Now of course if all those 7 billion people are consuming resources at the rate of Michael Moore it is unlikely that can be sustained. So really it is a question of managament not overpopulation.

It's the same thing. Overpopulation is simply having too high of a population for the amount of resources.

But the amount of resources each person consumes is variable.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:52:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:45:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Suit yourself. I took the time to watch them and will probably be going to bed soon.

Ya don't seem to get it. You post here saying WATCHITHAVETOWATCHITISUPPORTTHIS - it is your argument to make. Videos are lazy tools for argumentation, and allows you to disengage from having to actively think, articulate the position so others can read it and then defend your position. I have a spare 80mins sure - I'm not going to waste it on an argument its proponent can't even bother to write out however.

I must say that they were quite shocking. And am now, only after watching them, considering myself on the left side of the issue.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:57:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:52:50 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:45:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Suit yourself. I took the time to watch them and will probably be going to bed soon.

Ya don't seem to get it. You post here saying WATCHITHAVETOWATCHITISUPPORTTHIS - it is your argument to make. Videos are lazy tools for argumentation, and allows you to disengage from having to actively think, articulate the position so others can read it and then defend your position. I have a spare 80mins sure - I'm not going to waste it on an argument its proponent can't even bother to write out however.


I must say that they were quite shocking. And am now, only after watching them, considering myself on the left side of the issue.

And can't thank you enough for having the integrity to watch the videos. I don't have it in me to type it out right now. I probably would have but I'm tired and I had a bad day. I'll consider debating some time soon.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:58:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/1/2010 11:59:21 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 5/1/2010 11:57:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The first thing for sure is that we most get off oil and coal, they are not renewable resources and our demand is only growing higher. If we don't do something we are going to have a global catastrophe.

Like always.

I like this.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 1:59:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:57:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:52:50 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:45:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Suit yourself. I took the time to watch them and will probably be going to bed soon.

Ya don't seem to get it. You post here saying WATCHITHAVETOWATCHITISUPPORTTHIS - it is your argument to make. Videos are lazy tools for argumentation, and allows you to disengage from having to actively think, articulate the position so others can read it and then defend your position. I have a spare 80mins sure - I'm not going to waste it on an argument its proponent can't even bother to write out however.


I must say that they were quite shocking. And am now, only after watching them, considering myself on the left side of the issue.

And can't thank you enough for having the integrity to watch the videos.

Erm. Read above. You said that. :P Shot term memory issues?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 2:01:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 1:59:59 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:57:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:52:50 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/2/2010 1:45:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Suit yourself. I took the time to watch them and will probably be going to bed soon.

Ya don't seem to get it. You post here saying WATCHITHAVETOWATCHITISUPPORTTHIS - it is your argument to make. Videos are lazy tools for argumentation, and allows you to disengage from having to actively think, articulate the position so others can read it and then defend your position. I have a spare 80mins sure - I'm not going to waste it on an argument its proponent can't even bother to write out however.


I must say that they were quite shocking. And am now, only after watching them, considering myself on the left side of the issue.

And can't thank you enough for having the integrity to watch the videos.

Erm. Read above. You said that. :P Shot term memory issues?

I just realized that. Fvck. I don't feel good right now. Imma go to bed. G'nite.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:12:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If anyone here believes that the United States should enact a two-child policy to control population, challenge me to a debate.

If anyone believes that the world will overpopulate, challenge me to a debate.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:49:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Tips to save the World-

My roadmap to save this World
Please listen carefully

1) Use Condoms, Pills
2) Marry only one woman
3) Don't have kids (DAMN I hate kids)
4) Tell your friends not to have kids (Save their world)
5) Tell the world not to have kids (Save the World)
6) Women who gives birth should be taxed
7) Fathers should be banned from buying cars if they have a child
8) Children should be sent to Boot Camp and trained to be Special Forces
9) College should tell youth not to have kids (Save the World)
10) Only people who should be taxed are those people with kids

If everybody followed these tips then we would have a paradise on earth.

Your
Future UN General Secratary
Dat's Me
hahaha
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:53:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 9:49:43 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Tips to save the World-

My roadmap to save this World
Please listen carefully

1) Use Condoms, Pills
2) Marry only one woman
3) Don't have kids (DAMN I hate kids)
4) Tell your friends not to have kids (Save their world)
5) Tell the world not to have kids (Save the World)
6) Women who gives birth should be taxed
7) Fathers should be banned from buying cars if they have a child
8) Children should be sent to Boot Camp and trained to be Special Forces
9) College should tell youth not to have kids (Save the World)
10) Only people who should be taxed are those people with kids

If everybody followed these tips then we would have a paradise on earth.

Your
Future UN General Secratary
Dat's Me
hahaha

wut?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:52:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/2/2010 9:53:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

If everybody followed these tips then we would have a paradise on earth.

Erm. No. In around 80-100 years there will be no one left to even float that concept. :P