Jump to topic:

Gays. Qatar. FIFA.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2014 2:23:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here's a rundown of the awesome plans for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

1) Thousands of migrant workers kept as slaves.
2) Thousands of deaths among the migrant workers due to appalling working and living conditions.
3) Qatar wants to hold the World Cup in Winter; this will require all leagues to change their schedules for the entire year of 2022.
4) No alcohol allowed.
6) No gays allowed.
7) Laws regulating family values and restricting women's freedoms must be obeyed.

Well done, FIFA. How anyone can support this is beyond me.

http://www.msn.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2014 4:24:49 PM
I know, right? It really is amazing that a country like Qatar--a state sponsor of terrorism and place with virtually no proper human rights-- is enabled to host something as significant as the World Cup.

Especially as other more advanced countries (such as England) that are far better equipped at managing a World Cup miss out and get overlooked. As is to be expected with FIFA, it seems obvious that there was corruption behind Qatar's win.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2014 4:52:11 PM
Is there any precedent for taking the event away from Qatar? Many such events, be it World cups, Olympics, or Conferences, are held in countries with terrible human rights records, have they lost the right to host these events?

Regardless, while it may inconsistent to punish/strip Qatar of its hosting privilege, perhaps this event could be used to put pressure on them to change their policies.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2014 8:48:22 PM
At 11/14/2014 4:52:11 PM, HPWKA wrote:
Is there any precedent for taking the event away from Qatar?
The climate is something most players would not be accustomed to during the summer. The football season lasts until the last period of spring, after which players normally have seasonal breaks. That is not the case when tournaments happen during June-July. Qatar would, due to the overly warm climate, be a terrible destination for the players, especially because their energy levels would not be very high at that point. There are talks of moving it to the winter period, which, perhaps, could work, although it would not please club sides.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 5:24:59 PM
At 11/14/2014 2:23:12 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

2) Thousands of deaths among the migrant workers due to appalling working and living conditions.
3) Qatar wants to hold the World Cup in Winter; this will require all leagues to change their schedules for the entire year of 2022.
4) No alcohol allowed.
6) No gays allowed.
What about gay players? I mean soccer players.
7) Laws regulating family values and restricting women's freedoms must be obeyed.

^this blog, deleted.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 5:56:50 AM
I agree that Qatar has an awful human rights record, but that is how the west sees Qatar. I'm sure someone in Qatar could look at the USA and be appalled if the world cup was hosted there.

If FIFA starts banning certain countries from hosting the world cup then why should it be western morality that is the criteria for banning such countries? It gives FIFA a disproportional amount of political power.

Lastly, it would undermine the whole voting process. It's like saying that, if the French electorate voted in an extreme right-wing party, the UN would be free to step in and arrange a coup. The voting process's credibility is maintained by the absolute deciding power it has to choose the host for the world cup. If the international community didn't want Qatar to be the host, they shouldn't have voted them in.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:39:01 AM
At 11/14/2014 2:23:12 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

4) No alcohol allowed.
6) No gays allowed.
8) How da faq do I pronounce Qatar? Cat-er, or Qa-tar?

praise the lord Chin Chin
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:24:34 AM
The World Cup is a joke overall. Certain teams (Like Cameroon this year) intentionally throw matches over bets), and the Ghana players over not getting their World Cup bonuses fast enough, then 2 of their players get suspended.
Ashton