Jump to topic:

Jury duty tomorrow.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:33:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Here's hoping I get a case worth using jury nullification on ^_^.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:37:59 PM
HELL YEuH
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:39:22 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:33:56 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Sentence him to hang. That other state is doing a firing squad, Washington must not be out done!!!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:39:48 PM

i'm sure if you make you political sentiments known they will let you go almost immediately. you HAVE to own some piece of randian paraphernalia...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:40:39 PM
Juries don't typically do sentencing Koopin. They convict. Judges do sentencing.

Or, in terms you'll understand-- The local KFC branch orders (convicts) x number of chickens. The slaughterhouse manager sets production processes (sentences) for the execution of the chickens.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:41:36 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:39:48 PM, belle wrote:

i'm sure if you make you political sentiments known they will let you go almost immediately. you HAVE to own some piece of randian paraphernalia...

Well, I'm not sure that'll be entirely necessary considering how I plan on doing Arabic homework in the waiting room.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:51:16 PM
meh scrawny white college kid doing arabic hw... they'd prolly pick you out for like a male version of insert or smth
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:56:51 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Well, I'm not sure that'll be entirely necessary considering how I plan on doing Arabic homework in the waiting room.

Bad idea, you'll be listed in SPLC as a homegrown terrorist.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:59:00 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:56:51 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Um, no. The Southern Poverty Law Center is a PC organization. They don't list you as a terrorist for arabic literature, they list you for a Ron Paul sticker.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 9:59:49 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:59:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Um, no. The Southern Poverty Law Center is a PC organization. They don't list you as a terrorist for arabic literature, they list you for a Ron Paul sticker.

A what organization?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 10:00:38 PM
At 5/2/2010 9:59:49 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 5/2/2010 9:59:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

A what organization?

PC. Politically Correct.

In other words, Left-wing.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:11:46 PM

I wonder what would happen if I took a copy of the Qur'an into an airport? :D
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:15:40 PM
At 5/2/2010 11:11:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I wonder what would happen if I took a copy of the Qur'an into an airport? :D

If you're good looking you'd get groped first. Maybe get your naked body photo'd by the scanner there. Then they'd notice your Qur'an, take you back for security, then rape you. And then you'd go to the police.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:34:50 PM
At 5/2/2010 11:15:40 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
If you're good looking you'd get groped first. Maybe get your naked body photo'd by the scanner there. Then they'd notice your Qur'an, take you back for security, then rape you. And then you'd go to the police.

That's rather... extreme.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:35:25 PM
I would be nervous about Ragnar on a jury deciding my fate... Just look at his signature for God's sake
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:43:40 PM
At 5/2/2010 11:34:50 PM, Volkov wrote:

I put together the worst case scenario based on multiple events I've heard. Groping, taking pictures of what appears on the naked body scanner, and rape are all things the TSA has done before. Just not all to the same person.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:47:51 PM
At 5/2/2010 11:43:40 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 5/2/2010 11:34:50 PM, Volkov wrote:

I put together the worst case scenario based on multiple events I've heard. Groping, taking pictures of what appears on the naked body scanner, and rape are all things the TSA has done before. Just not all to the same person.

All because I took a copy of the Qur'an into an airport, haha. :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:49:48 PM

Why is it when we're talking about positive things, it's always the individual we focus on, and then I get chastised for saying anything about groups, collectives, or societies... yet anything negative is always attributed to collectives, to "them."

Just seems kinda funny to me. I mean, I have some serious doubts the TSA's policy directs people to do this sort of thing. Why blame the entire TSA? Is it not the individuals who do this sort of thing that are ultimately guilty? Why not carry that over, hm?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 12:17:10 AM
At 5/2/2010 11:49:48 PM, Volkov wrote:

Why is it when we're talking about positive things, it's always the individual we focus on, and then I get chastised for saying anything about groups, collectives, or societies... yet anything negative is always attributed to collectives, to "them."
Yes, I chastise you for saying anything about groups, collectives, and societies in a positive manner. Mmhmm. That's what I do. And yes, I ~NEVER~ focus on groups, collectives, or societies when it comes to good things. I ~ALWAYS~ talk about an individual.

Give me a f*cking break, you slimy piece of sh!t.

How bout now? I just attacked you personally. I'm not attacking a collective anymore!
Are you f*cking satisfied? Would you like a kick in the balls to go with that, sir?

Just seems kinda funny to me. I mean, I have some serious doubts the TSA's policy directs people to do this sort of thing. Why blame the entire TSA? Is it not the individuals who do this sort of thing that are ultimately guilty? Why not carry that over, hm?
The existence of the TSA creates the incentive structure for pedophiles and perverts to go work for them. Same goes for mandatory education. Same reason for the government, except include sadists too.

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 12:27:56 AM
At 5/3/2010 12:17:10 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Yes, I chastise you for saying anything about groups, collectives, and societies in a positive manner. Mmhmm. That's what I do. And yes, I ~NEVER~ focus on groups, collectives, or societies when it comes to good things. I ~ALWAYS~ talk about an individual.

How bout now? I just attacked you personally. I'm not attacking a collective anymore!
Are you f*cking satisfied? Would you like a kick in the balls to go with that, sir?

Rezz, you need to chill with the personal attacks. Not cool, dude. If you want to convert people to your ideology, it works best if you're not attacking them.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 12:27:59 AM

It isn't just you, nor are you the worst of the offenders. If you wish to take this personally, then I'll have to object. But it is a strain I've seen recurring over and over and over again through this site. Forgive me for pointing it out, as I wish to make no fight of it.

No, that's quite alright.

The existence of the TSA creates the incentive structure for pedophiles and perverts to go work for them. Same goes for mandatory education. Same reason for the government, except include sadists too.

You could make the argument that the existence of the TSA creates a structure for which these people can work through, but in no way can you argue that these organizations create the incentive. That's something attributable to the realm of the individual, because even if the TSA did not exist, there's nothing there saying that these individuals would not find a way to do the exact same thing.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 12:31:18 AM

LOL @ people taking this seriously.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 12:52:12 AM
At 5/3/2010 12:27:56 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
Rezz, you need to chill with the personal attacks. Not cool, dude. If you want to convert people to your ideology, it works best if you're not attacking them.
The one I did here was for the show. For the ones I actually do mean the personal attacks on, nice try, but I've more or less given up on "converting" people. I just talk about it lazily if people are interested, and here I just post videos. Nice incentive, but too bad it aint there anymore. Or at least, it's not as big as my venting on the village idiot.

At 5/3/2010 12:27:59 AM, Volkov wrote:

It isn't just you, nor are you the worst of the offenders. If you wish to take this personally, then I'll have to object. But it is a strain I've seen recurring over and over and over again through this site. Forgive me for pointing it out, as I wish to make no fight of it.
Yeah uh you kind of said "we", which I saw as "Volkov and Rezz", and to the extent of my knowledge, outside of Molyneux I have never praised an individual to any significant extent. Good or bad, I talk about the generalities behind it.

Example, along with some of my basic conceptions of relations between the individual and the collective. I'm not your vanilla libertarian/capitalist: http://www.debate.org...

You could make the argument that the existence of the TSA creates a structure for which these people can work through, but in no way can you argue that these organizations create the incentive. That's something attributable to the realm of the individual, because even if the TSA did not exist, there's nothing there saying that these individuals would not find a way to do the exact same thing.
I think you misused the word incentive the bolded time but I get what you mean. I do agree that there exists pedophiles and perverts beforehand (not so sure I *can't* argue that the TSA doesn't lead to more of them, but I don't have any of that type of arg on me atm), but their actions certainly aren't as pronounced and definitely not as shielded without such agencies. I never said that the individuals shouldn't be punished and I don't think you were implying that either, but I mention the "collective" aspect of it not only because everyone's already going to be talking about how to persecute the individual perpetrator anyways, but also because more likely than not it's the enabling organizations and incentive structures that led to such an incident.

You're a socialist, you've probably seen arguments for market regulation and gun control. While I don't agree on those issues, it's the same general concept - the enabling factors have greater significance than the individual perpetrators, because one is "cause" (not the only, of course) and the other is "effect".

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 1:07:14 AM
At 5/3/2010 12:52:12 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Example, along with some of my basic conceptions of relations between the individual and the collective. I'm not your vanilla libertarian/capitalist: http://www.debate.org...

Fair enough.

I think you misused the word incentive the bolded time but I get what you mean. I do agree that there exists pedophiles and perverts beforehand (not so sure I *can't* argue that the TSA doesn't lead to more of them, but I don't have any of that type of arg on me atm), but their actions certainly aren't as pronounced and definitely not as shielded without such agencies. I never said that the individuals shouldn't be punished and I don't think you were implying that either, but I mention the "collective" aspect of it not only because everyone's already going to be talking about how to persecute the individual perpetrator anyways, but also because more likely than not it's the enabling organizations and incentive structures that led to such an incident.

You're a socialist, you've probably seen arguments for market regulation and gun control.

Why am I always considered a socialist? Bah. But, yes.

While I don't agree on those issues, it's the same general concept - the enabling factors have greater significance than the individual perpetrators, because one is "cause" (not the only, of course) and the other is "effect".

Alright, well that's more reasonable. Enabling factors aside, however, I would personally pin more responsibility on the actor. I'd prefer to elaborate on this more tomorrow, though.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 1:13:07 AM
At 5/3/2010 1:07:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/3/2010 12:52:12 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
You're a socialist, you've probably seen arguments for market regulation and gun control.

Why am I always considered a socialist? Bah. But, yes.
Keep in mind when I say "socialist" it's generally not what other people mean. I use "socialist" and "statist" almost interchangeably.

While I don't agree on those issues, it's the same general concept - the enabling factors have greater significance than the individual perpetrators, because one is "cause" (not the only, of course) and the other is "effect".

Alright, well that's more reasonable. Enabling factors aside, however, I would personally pin more responsibility on the actor. I'd prefer to elaborate on this more tomorrow, though.
You do that.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 4:34:38 AM

Isn't that essentially every case?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 1:08:12 PM
lol I would hate to have someone with Rag's moral viewpoint deciding my fate, unless I was guilty of tax evasion of course:)

As for ways to dodge it, a temporary tatoo of a swastika on your forehead should do the trick