Jump to topic:

The Conspiracy Theorist: A Government's BFF

Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:20:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Governments owe their power to the people, but I think that a very specific portion of society-- namely paranoid conspiracy theorists-- are largely responsible for the over-legitimization of governments. Each conspiracy theory serves the government, making it appear stronger and more powerful than it really is. Now, I don't know if governments actively promote conspiracy theories or simply reap the benefits, but there is no doubt to me that governments rely on conspiracy theories to exist. Government officials know that there will always be a portion of society that will be suspicious of government motives, so conspiracy theories serve to distract this portion of society from the real vices of government. An example: the New World Order (NWO) conspiracy theory.

The New World Order conspiracy claims that governments are secretly planning on establishing a mono-structural dictatorship over the entire world populace. This is laughably false-- governments rely on each other to exist. When government approval ratings are low, all a government has to do to save itself is point fingers and show itself to be a lesser evil.

Take the U.S.A. and Iran for example. The Iranian government will point to America and tell its citizens, "Look at those infidels! Look how rotten their morals are, how weak their religion is! We Iranians stand by God, they stand by money!" And the idiot Iranians will cheer, "Yeah, sure we're oppressed and impoverished, but at least we're a moral country!" So the citizens stay largely quiet and obedient, patriotic love running through their idiot veins. Then the American government will conversely point to Iran when its citizens are less than impressed with congress, "Look at Iran, they have no freedom! No liberties! We Americans stand by freedom, they stand by tyranny!" And the idiot Americans will cheer, "Yeah, sure we're being lied to and manipulated everyday, but at least we have the illusion of freedom!" So the citizens stay largely quiet and obedient, patriotic love running through their idiot veins.

You see, a One World Government would be deprived of this vital advantage, thus it will never work and never be attempted, but conspiracy theorists claim that governments are so powerful and so indestructible, that a government could survive independently, without its bedfellows. This overestimation of power by an entire portion of its populace only serves to strengthen the government. It's a basic Machiavellian idea: if you can't make them love you, make them fear you. And no one fears the government like a conspiracy theorist.

**Note: this idea of governments benefiting from conspiracy theorists is (like almost all political opinions) not my own, nor is the analysis of the NWO conspiracy, I simply put it in my own words. I got the idea from a modern day philosopher Joseph Weintraub on his blog, which can be found here: http://forbiddentruthblog.com...
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 7:28:46 AM
At 11/16/2014 3:20:46 PM, Harper wrote:
Governments owe their power to the people, but I think that a very specific portion of society-- namely paranoid conspiracy theorists-- are largely responsible for the over-legitimization of governments. Each conspiracy theory serves the government, making it appear stronger and more powerful than it really is. Now, I don't know if governments actively promote conspiracy theories or simply reap the benefits, but there is no doubt to me that governments rely on conspiracy theories to exist. Government officials know that there will always be a portion of society that will be suspicious of government motives, so conspiracy theories serve to distract this portion of society from the real vices of government.

**Note: this idea of governments benefiting from conspiracy theorists is (like almost all political opinions) not my own, nor is the analysis of the NWO conspiracy, I simply put it in my own words. I got the idea from a modern day philosopher Joseph Weintraub on his blog, which can be found here: http://forbiddentruthblog.com...

The War on Terror is basically a mainstream conspiracy sold to the American Public to make the intelligence arm of the US government more legitimate. Defining Al Qaeda as an organization was a rhetorical advantage. Marc Sageman, former CIA officer, explains that al-Qaeda is now just a "loose label for a movement that seems to target the West." "There is no umbrella organisation. We created a mythical entity called [al-Qaeda] in our minds, but that is not the reality we are dealing with." Without an invisible enemy to fight how else would the government rationalize its defense budget and the continuation of cold war policies. The self-proclaimed Patriot Act is nothing but McCarthyism by another name.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 7:13:04 PM
The War on Terror is basically a mainstream conspiracy sold to the American Public to make the intelligence arm of the US government more legitimate. Defining Al Qaeda as an organization was a rhetorical advantage. Marc Sageman, former CIA officer, explains that al-Qaeda is now just a "loose label for a movement that seems to target the West." "There is no umbrella organisation. We created a mythical entity called [al-Qaeda] in our minds, but that is not the reality we are dealing with." Without an invisible enemy to fight how else would the government rationalize its defense budget and the continuation of cold war policies. The self-proclaimed Patriot Act is nothing but McCarthyism by another name.

The War on Terror is simply another propaganda war to win patriotism. People are unhappy with the government? Let's boost patriotism by going to war! Governments thrive on "us against them" situations, which is one of the reasons why war is such a useful tool for governments. Propaganda, not conspiracy, is the best word to describe the War on Terror. Conspiracy brings to mind secret plans (it's not a secret plan if every internet lurker and his grandmother knows about it) and a whole lot of other woo, besides if it's one thing we've learned over time is that the government is really bad at keeping secrets to ever be good at conspiring for anything.