Jump to topic:

Death By Firing Squad

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 10:59:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
People are flipping out that Utah is trying to bring back the firing squad for executions. I don't get it. How are chemicals (which have been botched lately) better than a clean shot to the heart? Firing squad is probably the best way to die. The bullet kills you before you even hear the gunshot. Also, it's a state issue so why do people care if they don't live in Utah?

If I had to choose my method of execution it would 100% be firing squad.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 2:17:45 PM
At 11/21/2014 10:59:55 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
People are flipping out that Utah is trying to bring back the firing squad for executions. I don't get it. How are chemicals (which have been botched lately) better than a clean shot to the heart? Firing squad is probably the best way to die. The bullet kills you before you even hear the gunshot. Also, it's a state issue so why do people care if they don't live in Utah?

I just have to point out that this is false. A shot to the heart with a sufficient caliber will kill very quickly, but it's not instant. You'd still be conscious and very much aware that you just got shot for at least a few seconds.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 2:31:13 PM
It seems strange to me that there are so many willing to kill others....
Kind of dove-tails in your greek thread, doesn't it.

Mine would be suffocation from a well endowed woman, if you get my drift.
My work here is, finally, done.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 4:49:21 PM
At 11/21/2014 2:31:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
It seems strange to me that there are so many willing to kill others....
Kind of dove-tails in your greek thread, doesn't it.

Mine would be suffocation from a well endowed woman, if you get my drift.

I prefer monoxide gassing. Painless.
praise the lord Chin Chin
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 5:48:59 PM
The bullet kills you before you even hear the gunshot.

That is quite bullsh!t.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 6:08:19 PM

It's my view that as execution methods go, this one is the least offensive. It's also generally my view that when a society cannot tolerate execution by firing squad, best not to have the death penalty as a judicial option.

Lethal Injection is not humane. There is very strong evidence to suggest that those executed suffer immensely when they're injected with the chemicals that follow the paralytic agent, and entirely too many executions are botched because they're performed by incompetent staff rather than doctors who refuse to do it on ethical grounds.

That said, I oppose the death penalty for all crimes other than treason. So, unless someone commits treason, I oppose them being executed -and the appropriate method for execution for treason, I think, is none other than a firing squad.

As an aside, I think if executions were public endeavors, though, more people would oppose it.
Tsar of DDO
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 6:54:02 PM
Human life is sacred. The death penalty should never be an option. However, if a society wants to be "humane" I agree that being shot by firing squad is probably not any worse than lethal injection.

If i had to die, I'd prefer the guillotine as my method of choice. A very well oiled and sharp guillotine to be precise
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 7:05:08 PM

I agree that people are totally missing the point about death penalty--firing squad isn't especially worse than chemicals, since both are executions.

However, what exactly about the firing squad appeals to you? I think it's pretty uncontroversial that the squads would be more painful. One reason why I might be more tempted to agree with you that firing squad would be better is that the US would be taking responsibility for its actions--violence and killing--instead of pretending that they are merely putting prisoners to sleep. (And of course I really don't like the death penalty in general).

But what are your reasons?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 7:10:05 PM
Frankly, if areas are going to institute corporal punishment (momentarily setting aside the morality of that decision), those areas should offer a range of options (chemicals, death by firing squad, etc.) for inmates to choose from.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 7:49:10 PM
Wouldn't firing squads be emotionally damaging for the ones shooting? I know that police officers often struggle with killing someone even when the person is horrible.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 8:18:54 PM
At 11/21/2014 7:49:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Wouldn't firing squads be emotionally damaging for the ones shooting? I know that police officers often struggle with killing someone even when the person is horrible.

It wouldn't be any different if the methhod was electric chair, lethal iniection, or hanging. There is always an executioner.

But personally I would prefer to shoot someone than to inject poison into them.
Also, Being a part of the firing squad means you're shooting alongside many people, so the emotional damage is less. It would be scary and stressful for someone to lethally inject someone by himself.

Furthermore, I'm sure out of all the police officers in the state, at least some of them wouldn't be emotionally damaged and would volunteer.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 8:20:05 PM

I would certainly hope so. This is also why states would give a squad of six shooters five rifles with live ammo and one with a blank. That way, each shooter could pretend that maybe he had been the one who didn't kill the prisoner. Pathetic if you ask me, to take that job and want to weasel your way out of the moral responsibility of taking a life.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 8:31:44 PM
At 11/21/2014 8:18:54 PM, Defro wrote:

It wouldn't be any different if the methhod was electric chair, lethal iniection, or hanging. There is always an executioner.

I disagree. I think shooting someone would be far more damaging than injecting poison or pulling a lever. Yes, they are all the same in the sense that they all lead to someone's death, but who said emotions had to be rational?

Also, Being a part of the firing squad means you're shooting alongside many people, so the emotional damage is less. It would be scary and stressful for someone to lethally inject someone by himself.

Nonsense. People are traumatized by (e.g.) war all the time. As far as I know, people are not usually traumatized by injecting poison.

Furthermore, I'm sure out of all the police officers in the state, at least some of them wouldn't be emotionally damaged and would volunteer.

I don't think that would be realistic.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 9:36:22 PM
At 11/21/2014 8:31:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I disagree. I think shooting someone would be far more damaging than injecting poison or pulling a lever. Yes, they are all the same in the sense that they all lead to someone's death, but who said emotions had to be rational?

Nonsense. People are traumatized by (e.g.) war all the time. As far as I know, people are not usually traumatized by injecting poison.

I would rather be far away from the criminal and pull a trigger alongside many people than to be alone with the criminal and stick something into his skin. And watch him die up close.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 11:31:09 PM
At 11/21/2014 7:05:08 PM, kbub wrote:

I agree that people are totally missing the point about death penalty--firing squad isn't especially worse than chemicals, since both are executions.

However, what exactly about the firing squad appeals to you? I think it's pretty uncontroversial that the squads would be more painful. One reason why I might be more tempted to agree with you that firing squad would be better is that the US would be taking responsibility for its actions--violence and killing--instead of pretending that they are merely putting prisoners to sleep. (And of course I really don't like the death penalty in general).

But what are your reasons?

Traditionally, firing squads used to execute inmates in the US were pre loaded guns in which one of them contained a blank, giving the shooter the potential mental/moral out that his gun had the blank. IIRC, the guns were also pre aimed, it was just some one pulling the trigger. These processes were all done by different people for the purpose of distancing the executioner from act of duty.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 11:44:43 PM
People are flipping out that Utah is trying to bring back the firing squad for executions. I don't get it. How are chemicals (which have been botched lately) better than a clean shot to the heart?

A clean shot to the brain with a Smith & Wesson model 500 would bring instant death to the inmate on death row.

Would a heart shot kill instantly?

Firing squad is probably the best way to die. The bullet kills you before you even hear the gunshot. Also, it's a state issue so why do people care if they don't live in Utah?

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:18:38 AM
At 11/21/2014 11:44:43 PM, SamStevens wrote:
People are flipping out that Utah is trying to bring back the firing squad for executions. I don't get it. How are chemicals (which have been botched lately) better than a clean shot to the heart?

A clean shot to the brain with a Smith & Wesson model 500 would bring instant death to the inmate on death row.

Would a heart shot kill instantly?
No. I've seen deer shot like that. They bleed for a bit.. probably gone mentally long before their body catches up, though.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:22:26 AM

I'd like something more ironic. Such as this:
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:23:28 AM
At 11/21/2014 7:10:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Frankly, if areas are going to institute capital punishment (momentarily setting aside the morality of that decision), those areas should offer a range of options (chemicals, death by firing squad, etc.) for inmates to choose from.

Fix'd.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:29:08 AM
At 11/22/2014 12:23:28 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Frankly, if areas are going to institute capital punishment (momentarily setting aside the morality of that decision), those areas should offer a range of options (chemicals, death by firing squad, etc.) for inmates to choose from.

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:30:44 AM
At 11/22/2014 12:29:08 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

No problem...it was a big difference, lol.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:34:47 AM
At 11/22/2014 12:30:44 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

Yeah it is, lol. Apparently, my brain just decided to stop working for a few seconds.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:38:29 AM
At 11/22/2014 12:34:47 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

Yeah it is, lol. Apparently, my brain just decided to stop working for a few seconds.

It happens to the best of us :)
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:45:52 AM

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

Lol

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 3:34:51 PM
At 11/21/2014 9:36:22 PM, Defro wrote:
At 11/21/2014 8:31:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I would rather be far away from the criminal and pull a trigger alongside many people than to be alone with the criminal and stick something into his skin. And watch him die up close.

lol, the farther away you are from the victim, the more you increase the chances that the shot(s) you fire will not immediately kill the victim, and that you would have to shoot again, and again, and again, and with each failed shot you'd have to check to see whether or not the victim was actually dead, and if the victim is not dead, they are in horrendous pain while you clear medical personnel from the victim in order to prepare the firing squad to shoot again.

This thread and its advocacy is asinine to the extreme.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 3:47:00 PM

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

If you think giving people the choice as to how they die is somehow more humane, you're fooling yourself. What if someone chose the most painful death imaginable to make a statement? Would you be ok if a prisoner chose a death that took over a month of excruciating pain just to prove how much of a monster YOU are? After all, YOU'D be a law-abiding citizen that stands by the death penalty in such a circumstance, therefore YOU'D be condoning if not outright advocating for such treatment of prisoners.

Maybe they would choose some sort of satanic ritual, just to get the government to perform satanic rituals out of ostensible respect for victim rights. You have not thought through the possibilities.

If you're going to start limiting the possibilities, then you may as well limit them to the most humane/effective/painless method available. Right now that option is lethal injection. We do the same to animals for the same reason.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 3:59:52 PM
At 11/22/2014 3:51:32 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Also, since when did getting shot mean instant death? That's just like obviously false.

Yeah I noted the same, comment #25.

This thread has to be a trolling thread.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 4:14:09 PM
The fact that our states are in deliberation over various methods available to kill human beings is heartbreaking and disgusting.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 4:16:22 PM
At 11/22/2014 3:47:00 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Fix'd.

Lol...thanks.

If you think giving people the choice as to how they die is somehow more humane, you're fooling yourself. What if someone chose the most painful death imaginable to make a statement? Would you be ok if a prisoner chose a death that took over a month of excruciating pain just to prove how much of a monster YOU are? After all, YOU'D be a law-abiding citizen that stands by the death penalty in such a circumstance, therefore YOU'D be condoning if not outright advocating for such treatment of prisoners.

Maybe they would choose some sort of satanic ritual, just to get the government to perform satanic rituals out of ostensible respect for victim rights. You have not thought through the possibilities.

Bsh1 did not say that he would allow people to chose any option they like. He said "a range of options" and the only options which he listed are conventional. This is because he understands the concept of the constitutional prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.

What constitutes cruel and unusual is a subjective standard, but only a fool would believe that death by satanic ritual would be constitutional.

If you're going to start limiting the possibilities, then you may as well limit them to the most humane/effective/painless method available. Right now that option is lethal injection. We do the same to animals for the same reason.

Lethal injection is not humane. Here is how it works:

Lethal injection is used for capital punishment by the federal government and 36 States, at least 30 of which use the same combination of three drugs: sodium thiopental (a barbiturate to induce anesthesia), pancuronium bromide (a muscle relaxant that paralyzes all the muscles of the body) and potassium chloride (a salt that speeds the heart until it stops).

http://www.scientificamerican.com...

While the Supreme Court has decided that lethal injection is not cruel and unusual, the medical details escape the court.

Scientific American spoke with University of Miami Miller School of Medicine molecular biologist Teresa Zimmers about this controversial topic, and she said:

Sodium thiopental was chosen to render the person deeply unconscious and unable to feel the paralysis brought on by the pancuronium bromide, which causes the person to lose the ability to breathe. And the potassium chloride is extremely painful. Some people have said that three to five grams of sodium thiopental alone should be enough to induce death. [In December 2009 Ohio became the first state to use a single dose of sodium thiopental to execute death-row inmates.] We looked at whether inmates died reliably after the sodium thiopental, and it's not clear this is the case. We also determined that the doses of sodium thiopental used are not always as "massive" as claimed. It's not even clear how much a massive dose is in this context. We found that, at most, the highest doses were two times the lethal dose for animals, regardless of the inmate's weight.

This is significant because:

http://www.theguardian.com...
(how one -supposedly- more humane method than the three drug concoction of lethal injection played out)

At 10.27am, the syringe containing the untested concoction of midazolam and hydromorphone was injected into him. At 10.30am, three minutes into the execution, he lifted his head off the gurney, and said to the family who he could see through the window: "I love you, I love you." Then he lay back down.

At about 10.31am, his stomach swelled up in an unusual way, as though he had a hernia or something like that. Between 10.33am and 10.44am " I could see a clock on the wall of the death house " he struggled and gasped audibly for air.

I was aghast. Over those 11 minutes or more he was fighting for breath, and I could see both of his fists were clenched the entire time. His gasps could be heard through the glass wall that separated us. Towards the end, the gasping faded into small puffs of his mouth. It was much like a fish lying along the shore puffing for that one gasp of air that would allow it to breathe. Time dragged on and I was helpless to do anything, sitting helplessly by as he struggled for breath. I desperately wanted out of that room.

For the next four minutes or so a medical tech listened for a heart beat on both sides of his chest. That seemed to drag on too, like some final cruel ritual, preventing us from leaving. Then, at 10.53am, the warden called the time of death, they closed the curtains, and that was it.

I came out of that room feeling that I had witnessed something ghastly. I was relieved to be out in the fresh air. There is no question in my mind that Dennis McGuire suffered greatly over many minutes. I'd been told that a "normal" execution lasted five minutes " this experimental two-drug concoction had taken 26 minutes. I consider that inhumane.

His family had been exposed to something horrendous. They cried and sobbed, held each other, held onto my hand, and at times turned away to hug each other so they didn't have to watch. And then there's the family of Joy Stewart, who I think were sitting next to us on the other side of a wall. I pray for them because I know they too have been through hell and back. My heart goes out to them, but I don't see how his death will bring them peace. All it means is that they witnessed somebody else die.

and

As Reported by the Washington Post Editorial Board:

(how the three drug cocktail can play out)
http://www.washingtonpost.com...

On Tuesday evening, Oklahoma corrections officials attempted to execute Clayton Lockett with a novel combination of three injectable drugs. Instead of dying peacefully, Mr. Lockett went into convulsions, grimaced, spoke and struggled to leave the gurney to which he was strapped. After things started to go wrong, state officials lowered the blinds on the death chamber windows, obscuring what happened next. They said that one of Mr.R01;Lockett"s veins "exploded," possibly making it more difficult for adequate amounts of the drugs to enter his bloodstream. After 43 minutes, he died of a heart attack.
Tsar of DDO