Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Most overrated and underrated POTUS

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 1:19:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Who and why?

For me, JFK is hugely overrated. Truly began Vietnam, Bay of Pigs was a disaster, and his resolution to the Cuban missile crisis was handled without any great genius of a resolution. He died, was assasinated and became a saint to many in my neck of the woods.

Nixon was underrated. Admittedly not someone i would probably choose as a friend, but accomplished the ending of Vietnam, opened talks with China and began the first SALT in 1972. Not saying he was a great president by any stretch, but he wasn't the devil either. There was an equal amount of crazed hatred toward this man as there was a canonizing of JFK.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 1:34:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I actually agree with your choices, innomen. JFK, for all his good, really wasn't the god that some people make him out to be. Nixon on the other hand was someone who got something done, who made a huge impact on the world and the United States' diplomatic outlook, and really changed how things ran. Despite his rather horrible end, Nixon deserves quite a bit more praise than JFK in terms of who accomplished what.

I'd also throw in Lyndon Johnson for being underrated. He had a major impact on the United States, least of all with the Civil Rights movement. Yet most overlook him, or chastise him for the dropping of the nuclear bombs on Japan.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 1:37:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
overrated: Lincoln and FDR
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 2:21:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 1:37:56 PM, mongoose wrote:
overrated: Lincoln and FDR

This.

JFK, I also agree, is overrated. The Kennedy family in general is overrated. For modern times, Reagan is way overrated by conservatives, and Clinton is way overrated by liberals. Obama is overrated too, his approval rating should be somewhere around -7.

Underrated: Eh. I don't think any President really deserves being rated above, well, anything. Though, Andrew Johnson and Warren G. Harding should be rated much higher than they currently are rated.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 2:40:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 1:34:18 PM, Volkov wrote:

I'd also throw in Lyndon Johnson for being underrated. He had a major impact on the United States, least of all with the Civil Rights movement. Yet most overlook him, or chastise him for the dropping of the nuclear bombs on Japan.

That was Truman that dropped the bomb, and his ratings were at George W Bush levels. Johnson rightly should get blamed for the escalation in Vietnam, in all honesty he should get all the blame for Vietnam - he was personally a terrible man, but there are a few of those that became president.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 3:00:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 2:21:00 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/5/2010 1:37:56 PM, mongoose wrote:
overrated: Lincoln and FDR

This.

JFK, I also agree, is overrated. The Kennedy family in general is overrated. For modern times, Reagan is way overrated by conservatives, and Clinton is way overrated by liberals. Obama is overrated too, his approval rating should be somewhere around -7.

Underrated: Eh. I don't think any President really deserves being rated above, well, anything. Though, Andrew Johnson and Warren G. Harding should be rated much higher than they currently are rated.

totally agree about reagan. history is not one of my main interests, but the fact that he is supposed to be the patron saint of small government while he actually increased government spending is just baffling to me...

also personally i think harrison deserves more credit :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 3:01:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 2:40:05 PM, innomen wrote:
That was Truman that dropped the bomb, and his ratings were at George W Bush levels. Johnson rightly should get blamed for the escalation in Vietnam, in all honesty he should get all the blame for Vietnam - he was personally a terrible man, but there are a few of those that became president.

I meant Truman - my apologies. I'm not American and most of the Presidents from that era blur together. >_>
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 3:03:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 3:01:06 PM, Volkov wrote:
I meant Truman - my apologies. I'm not American and most of the Presidents from that era blur together. >_>

In fact... I vote Hardwighdon Trusenhowerson as the most underrated President of all time.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 3:05:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 3:00:28 PM, belle wrote:
At 5/5/2010 2:21:00 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/5/2010 1:37:56 PM, mongoose wrote:
overrated: Lincoln and FDR

This.

JFK, I also agree, is overrated. The Kennedy family in general is overrated. For modern times, Reagan is way overrated by conservatives, and Clinton is way overrated by liberals. Obama is overrated too, his approval rating should be somewhere around -7.


also personally i think harrison deserves more credit :P

He was absolutely brutal to the American Indians, and was responsible for much of the policy. I think he was the one who signed the Indian removal act, take a look and see if i'm wrong, but it wasn't too good if you were an American Indian.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 3:18:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 3:05:34 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/5/2010 3:00:28 PM, belle wrote:
At 5/5/2010 2:21:00 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/5/2010 1:37:56 PM, mongoose wrote:
overrated: Lincoln and FDR

This.

JFK, I also agree, is overrated. The Kennedy family in general is overrated. For modern times, Reagan is way overrated by conservatives, and Clinton is way overrated by liberals. Obama is overrated too, his approval rating should be somewhere around -7.


also personally i think harrison deserves more credit :P

He was absolutely brutal to the American Indians, and was responsible for much of the policy. I think he was the one who signed the Indian removal act, take a look and see if i'm wrong, but it wasn't too good if you were an American Indian.

he was only alive for 30 days, i was under the impression that he didn't do anything. lol
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 5:03:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 3:26:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
On this site, FDR seems Under-rated and Reagan seems over-rated.

FDR can't be underrated. He got us into an unnecessary war and destroyed our economy. Without him, the Great Depression would have ended a lot sooner, but he saved it.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 6:08:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Overrated: All of them. If I had to pick one, Lincoln.

Underrated: None of them.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 6:12:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Let's see, all conservatives will say "FDR and JFK (and those far right, will include Linclon) are so overrated!!!" and all the liberals will say "Reagan is so overrated!!!!!"

And both sides are just repeating talk show talking points.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:28:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:27:36 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Overrated: Lincoln

Underrated: Grover Cleveland

Lol, one of the presidents that led to the Great Depression?
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:34:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:28:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, one of the presidents that led to the Great Depression?

*Smacks forehead in disgust*

Cleveland served from March 4, 1885 – March 4, 1889 & March 4, 1893 – March 4, 1897. The Great Depression began on October 29th 1929.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:36:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:34:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:28:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, one of the presidents that led to the Great Depression?

*Smacks forehead in disgust*

Cleveland served from March 4, 1885 – March 4, 1889 & March 4, 1893 – March 4, 1897. The Great Depression began on October 29th 1929.

Oh, I was thinking of a different guy. Damn, I should know this stuff too, having just taken a US history course. :s
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:37:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:36:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, I was thinking of a different guy. Damn, I should know this stuff too, having just taken a US history course. :s

Probably Calvin Coolidge, in which case you'd still be wrong, but for a different reason.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:38:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:37:34 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:36:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, I was thinking of a different guy. Damn, I should know this stuff too, having just taken a US history course. :s

Probably Calvin Coolidge, in which case you'd still be wrong, but for a different reason.

Yea, him.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:38:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:37:34 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:36:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, I was thinking of a different guy. Damn, I should know this stuff too, having just taken a US history course. :s

Probably Calvin Coolidge, in which case you'd still be wrong, but for a different reason.

I bet you blame Hoover partially, don't you Kenyon?
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:39:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:38:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I bet you blame Hoover partially, don't you Kenyon?

I blame a lot of people, but yes Hoover is high on that list.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:40:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:39:42 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:38:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I bet you blame Hoover partially, don't you Kenyon?

I blame a lot of people, but yes Hoover is high on that list.

I figured. Who else do you blame?
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:44:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:40:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I figured. Who else do you blame?

The Fed.

FDR too.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:44:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:40:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:39:42 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:38:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I bet you blame Hoover partially, don't you Kenyon?

I blame a lot of people, but yes Hoover is high on that list.

I figured. Who else do you blame?

I have to get to bed (AP English exam tomorrow) so I'll leave you with the short list of FDR, Wilson, various Federal Reserve chairmen and let Reasoning, R_R, Nags, or WJM fill in the rest.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:45:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:44:34 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I have to get to bed (AP English exam tomorrow) so I'll leave you with the short list of FDR, Wilson, various Federal Reserve chairmen and let Reasoning, R_R, Nags, or WJM fill in the rest.

Good luck bro. May the Fourth be with you.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 8:50:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:44:27 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 5/5/2010 8:40:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I figured. Who else do you blame?

The Fed.

FDR too.

I agree. I partially blame farmers and corporation leaders as well.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2010 3:39:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 8:50:03 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I partially blame farmers and corporation leaders as well.

No...

The Fed, which greatly expanded the money supply in the 20s, created the boom, which ended in a bust. Hoover and FDR just did their part to make the Depression last longer. Propping up a bust with what caused the bust usually isn't a good idea.