Jump to topic:

This is governmental overreach:

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 3:57:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Conservatives emphasize a few basic principles; limited government is probably the overreaching theme of all of them.

Police militarization is the kind of governmental overreach that the tea bagging nutters ought to be concerned about. It's happening on all levels of law enforcement, too.

As Bill Maher mentioned... "when you equip a police force like an occupying army, they start to act like it."
Tsar of DDO
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:06:47 AM
At 11/22/2014 3:57:45 PM, YYW wrote:

Conservatives emphasize a few basic principles; limited government is probably the overreaching theme of all of them.

Police militarization is the kind of governmental overreach that the tea bagging nutters ought to be concerned about. It's happening on all levels of law enforcement, too.

As Bill Maher mentioned... "when you equip a police force like an occupying army, they start to act like it."

Popular similar description I used in the onset: when all you have is a belt full of hammers, everything looks like a nail.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:39:00 AM

Because you used the word nuts.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:58:01 AM

As a matter of fact, I am very concerned about the ever-expanding Federal Government, including things like police militarization. I am more concerned about this than 90% of Liberals.

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:42:35 AM

Let's not pretend that Republican (or likely any party) stays true to their principles, and Republicans embrace the mantle of conservatives, but they hardly act like it.

It is an issue, and part of it is the failed war on drugs, which legitimizes some of it, and allows big busts, which is money to spend. And like most government agencies, if they don't spend the money, they lose it.

Further, police enforce laws, which have fines, that produce revenue for the police. Where does that money go?
It is no surprise that police will focus on revenue than actually reducing crime.

Hey, let's pull that guy over for nothing more than not wearing a seat belt!!
Let's PAY the police department to do nothing but pull over people with no seat belts.
Disgusting.

I haven't seen militarization of my local suburban police force, but I have seen undercover cops driving Corvette-esque vehicles looking for speeders. That's all the proof you need they don't care about safety, just revenue.
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:51:22 AM
At 11/23/2014 7:58:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
As a matter of fact, I am very concerned about the ever-expanding Federal Government, including things like police militarization. I am more concerned about this than 90% of Liberals.

How do you know you're more concerned? O.O
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:41:23 AM
It's my hope that liberals will revolt against Conservative abuses of government power and realize big government was a bad idea after all.

The weapons you use for good can also be stolen by evil Conservatives.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 1:32:29 PM
At 11/23/2014 9:41:23 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
It's my hope that liberals will revolt against Conservative abuses of government power and realize big government was a bad idea after all.

Indeed for those wicked Conservatives are abusing Government power by allowing civilians to own guns and by not giving people free stuff! How depraved of them!

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 1:46:41 PM
At 11/23/2014 8:51:22 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 11/23/2014 7:58:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

How do you know you're more concerned? O.O

I'm constantly thinking about this kind of stuff. I have this complex scenario worked out in my head that I've been trying to "win", but the laws of the Universe are making that a little tough.

The DDO Blog:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:42:47 PM
At 11/23/2014 1:32:29 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Indeed for those wicked Conservatives are abusing Government power by allowing civilians to own guns and by not giving people free stuff! How depraved of them!

The conservative mantra for expansion is 'In the protection of....'

With liberals its 'equality for...'.

One of those is demonstrable, the other is a fear tactic.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:29:27 PM
At 11/23/2014 7:42:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Fear tactics? Any proof of that?

The DDO Blog:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 4:47:10 AM
At 11/23/2014 8:29:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Sure. Conservatives are or are not in favor of 'the defense of marriage'?

What are they defending it from?

'The war on Christmas'. Fought by who, exactly?

John McCain, R, Con, thinks there should be an ebola Czar. Because there are less than FIVE EFFIN' CASES in the US.

Need voter ID! Why, VOTER FRAUD, OF COURSE!

I am glad they came unarmed, this time, rather than immediately deciding to engage in second amendment solutions.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:22:45 AM

There is only one Mantra for both parties.

'For our/your own good....'
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:49:50 AM
At 11/24/2014 8:22:45 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Which are two entirely different things.

If me and some pals do something for 'our' own good, who the eff cares?

If some pals and me decide to do something YOUR own good, isn't there an immediate disconnect to the problem? Our own/your own is dedicated to an inside our outside understanding of local principle. The people that claim for YOUR own good demonstrate plans outside rule of law, for those asking for 'our' own good, it immediately recognizes a sense of universal understanding.

Your and our, I would like to think, in the discussion here, are relevant to the Constitution and America.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:52:31 AM
At 11/24/2014 8:49:50 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/24/2014 8:22:45 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Which are two entirely different things.

Not according to endless politician rants right before a vote passes into law.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 3:16:33 PM
At 11/24/2014 4:47:10 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/23/2014 8:29:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

People who have decided its traditional sacred meaning should be cast aside to be replaced by the philosophy of "anything goes". This philosophy is not fully being followed yet, but the other paraphilias will slowly gain their "rights". Live another 20, 30, or 40 years and you'll see what I mean.

I don't entirely agree with this one. You may have a point here.

John McCain, R, Con, thinks there should be an ebola Czar. Because there are less than FIVE EFFIN' CASES in the US.

While this may be an overreaction on his part, there have been pandemics which started with a single case. Better safe than sorry, and by "sorry" I mean tens of millions of people die, as was the case with the Spanish Flu nearly 100 years ago.

http://www.rottenacorn.com...

I am glad they came unarmed, this time, rather than immediately deciding to engage in second amendment solutions.

Of course, those paranoid Conservatives they're overreacting; I mean, it's just the Second Amendment that's being scrapped. It's not like people are being murdered!
Oh wait...they are. My bad.

Conservatives often come across as paranoid or always angry, but that's because there's a lot to be worried and upset about, and it's just getting worse. Human nature makes it a losing battle. At best we can delay the inevitable.

The DDO Blog:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:28:40 PM

People who have decided its traditional sacred meaning should be cast aside to be replaced by the philosophy of "anything goes". This philosophy is not fully being followed yet, but the other paraphilias will slowly gain their "rights". Live another 20, 30, or 40 years and you'll see what I mean.

And this is a refute to my fear argument, how, exactly? 'anything goes' is not what is being asked for, that is a GROSS projection with a healthy dose of slippery slope.

I don't entirely agree with this one. You may have a point here.

While this may be an overreaction on his part, there have been pandemics which started with a single case. Better safe than sorry, and by "sorry" I mean tens of millions of people die, as was the case with the Spanish Flu nearly 100 years ago.

'while this may be an overreaction...' --- I think you should have stopped there. ;)

http://www.rottenacorn.com...

Currently unable to view, can you give me the Cliff's notes?

Of course, those paranoid Conservatives they're overreacting; I mean, it's just the Second Amendment that's being scrapped. It's not like people are being murdered!
Oh wait...they are. My bad.

Not only is this a recognition of the point, its an example of fear induction, unless you are not familiar with the examples I am referring to. You know about the rally posters I am alluding to, correct? 'Came unarmed... this time' and advocating 'second amendment solutions' to get your way in legislature, or installing a NEW legislature flirts with mental health issues.

Conservatives often come across as paranoid or always angry, but that's because there's a lot to be worried and upset about, and it's just getting worse. Human nature makes it a losing battle. At best we can delay the inevitable.

This message brought to you by 'Fear' (tm). Its always getting worse relative to what? The last generation? Do those whipper snappers need to get off your lawn? It was the end of days when the slaves got freed, and women earned the right to vote, too, but not surprisingly, society sallied forth and the earth kept spinning.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 12:55:02 AM
It's easy to align militarized police forces with evil because they resemble evil regimes... But in reality, the police is just like the military in that it must be able to one-up the bad guys... Be them foreign or our own citizens.

Remember that citizens can be criminals.... And most criminals are citizens. We like thinking the police are after Hollywood villains, but they aren't. They are up against citizens. And the police must be advanced enough to tackle them. Remember, the police are up against gangs and cartels and groups who are also militarized.

A militarized police force is simply a prepared police force. Remember, they aren't up against 1850's wild west outlaws anymore. They are up against an era of criminals with access to internet bomb recipes, Molotov Cocktails, underground assault weapons of any form.... To send in a tiny force of undeveloped Andy Griffith-style police to their death because you're scared of them having better suits and vehicles is wrong, and dangerous for them and you.

Plus, the police has always gotten first dibs at out-dated military equipment. It looks like they became militarized out of nowhere because the army hasn't had to advance their equipment for a long time. We weren't used to the sudden advancement in police tech because it hasn't happened in a long time. With the Iraqi War, they had to upgrade, and the police got all that new equipment.

The police must be prepared. As criminals militarize and grow, so must the police. Don't judge the police by their advancement, but by the laws they enforce.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 1:15:08 AM

So you see my reply. I forgot to reply straight to you.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:49:50 AM

If it weren't for the police forces, what the heck are we supposed to do with a bunch of excess military surplus vehicles? Also, this is becoming more of a norm in western countries anyway because we have so much military gear than the military needs.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...