Jump to topic:

A Question Concerning Elected Officials

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:42:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A President is not allowed to serve two terms. A Vice-president becomes President if something happens to the President to make him no longer President (if he dies, resigns, or gets impeached, for example).

Here's my question, then: can a person who served two limits as President become Vice-President, and then assume the presidency if something happens to the current President?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 5:49:30 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:42:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
A President is not allowed to serve two terms. A Vice-president becomes President if something happens to the President to make him no longer President (if he dies, resigns, or gets impeached, for example).

Here's my question, then: can a person who served two limits as President become Vice-President, and then assume the presidency if something happens to the current President?

To my understanding, a former two-term president cannot run as vice-president.
Further, a VP who takes office as POTUS, is not considered a term if less than two years.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.
My work here is, finally, done.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 6:01:37 PM
At 11/24/2014 5:49:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Further, a VP who takes office as POTUS, is not considered a term if less than two years.

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

So if the current President only had less than 2 years of his term left when he died or left office, it might be allowed?

The DDO Blog:

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 6:06:44 PM
At 11/24/2014 6:01:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So if the current President only had less than 2 years of his term left when he died or left office, it might be allowed?

Actually, it appears that they could run as vice-president after two terms as president.
Unless being elected vice president counts as being elected vice president.

But, yes, if the current president was assassinated after Jan 21 2015, the current vice president could run for president twice. If the assassination was before that date, the VP could only run for president once.
My work here is, finally, done.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 6:08:45 PM
At 11/24/2014 6:06:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Actually, it appears that they could run as vice-president after two terms as president.

But, yes, if the current president was assassinated after Jan 21 2015, the current vice president could run for president twice. If the assassination was before that date, the VP could only run for president once.

A third term, I mean. I'm trying to figure out whether or not a former 2 term President can use elevation from the Vice-Presidency to have a short third term as President.

The DDO Blog:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 11:31:26 AM
At 11/24/2014 6:08:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/24/2014 6:06:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

A third term, I mean. I'm trying to figure out whether or not a former 2 term President can use elevation from the Vice-Presidency to have a short third term as President.

Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!