Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Monarchy

Lupo
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.
praise the lord Chin Chin
truthsought
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 8:39:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

I don't necessarily oppose monarchy because as of today a monarch doesn't really have much authority, if any. Over the years they have lost their power significantly. they are simply there for, like the previous member said, tradition. I don't think that today we need that, especially if when it is so costly for the public. I am certainly not against constitutional monarchy. I just don't like to pay for it.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 8:56:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 8:39:13 AM, truthsought wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

I don't necessarily oppose monarchy because as of today a monarch doesn't really have much authority, if any. Over the years they have lost their power significantly. they are simply there for, like the previous member said, tradition. I don't think that today we need that, especially if when it is so costly for the public. I am certainly not against constitutional monarchy. I just don't like to pay for it.

Buckingham palace is like what.. a billion dollars?

Obama is trillions of dollars, and his scepter is ugly.
Lupo
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 9:23:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.

I understand "Tradition and Nationalism", but Liberty ? so you're saying that a person has the right to rule the other just because of their DNA ?
debate_power
Posts: 726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 10:56:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 9:23:02 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.

I understand "Tradition and Nationalism", but Liberty ? so you're saying that a person has the right to rule the other just because of their DNA ?

Not very sound from an objectivist standpoint, eh? I became a socialist because, while I realized that monarchism is not the anti-christ, so to speak, a government more likely to serve the needs of most people first would be inherently superior.
You can call me Mark if you like.
truthsought
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:23:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 8:56:21 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 11/28/2014 8:39:13 AM, truthsought wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

I don't necessarily oppose monarchy because as of today a monarch doesn't really have much authority, if any. Over the years they have lost their power significantly. they are simply there for, like the previous member said, tradition. I don't think that today we need that, especially if when it is so costly for the public. I am certainly not against constitutional monarchy. I just don't like to pay for it.

Buckingham palace is like what.. a billion dollars?

Obama is trillions of dollars, and his scepter is ugly.

A president has more power than a monarch. how he practices it is another story. and while a bad president can be replaced after couple of years (max), a monarch is there forever.
A monarch, even in Great Britain , might be influential but certainly not powerful. The Queen can make no decision on her own. she can at most block a law (which doesn't happen that often either). The Queen is probably the most powerful monarch today, but even her power is just in theory. In reality, it is very limited.
so basically we are paying billions for someone who is there (mostly) just to nod to and agree with the laws and polices made by ministers.
Lupo
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 5:57:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 10:56:27 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 11/28/2014 9:23:02 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.

I understand "Tradition and Nationalism", but Liberty ? so you're saying that a person has the right to rule the other just because of their DNA ?

Not very sound from an objectivist standpoint, eh? I became a socialist because, while I realized that monarchism is not the anti-christ, so to speak, a government more likely to serve the needs of most people first would be inherently superior.

I cannot understand that, since time immemorial people fight to be free.
In our time, people want to give their freedom to the government.

I really want to understand," the slave who likes the landlord".
I'm talking more about socialism than the monarchy, a monarchy socialist is the top of slavery.
Everything belongs to the government, and the government is only one person, Ivan the Terrible would love this idea.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 6:19:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

This video explains why it's ok to support a monarchy so long as it has no real power.
debate_power
Posts: 726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 6:19:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/30/2014 5:57:31 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 10:56:27 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 11/28/2014 9:23:02 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.

I understand "Tradition and Nationalism", but Liberty ? so you're saying that a person has the right to rule the other just because of their DNA ?

Not very sound from an objectivist standpoint, eh? I became a socialist because, while I realized that monarchism is not the anti-christ, so to speak, a government more likely to serve the needs of most people first would be inherently superior.

I cannot understand that, since time immemorial people fight to be free.
In our time, people want to give their freedom to the government.

I really want to understand," the slave who likes the landlord".
I'm talking more about socialism than the monarchy, a monarchy socialist is the top of slavery.
Everything belongs to the government, and the government is only one person, Ivan the Terrible would love this idea.

Actually, the government in socialism is meant to be all people in the governed body. In socialism, a majority vote would be able to replace the current elected "leader" at any time. This has obvious advantages over a representative government, as the people get more say.
You can call me Mark if you like.
Lupo
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 3:52:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/30/2014 6:19:40 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 11/30/2014 5:57:31 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 10:56:27 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 11/28/2014 9:23:02 AM, Lupo wrote:
At 11/28/2014 7:00:10 AM, 18Karl wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

Three Words: Tradition, Liberty, and Nationalism.

I understand "Tradition and Nationalism", but Liberty ? so you're saying that a person has the right to rule the other just because of their DNA ?

Not very sound from an objectivist standpoint, eh? I became a socialist because, while I realized that monarchism is not the anti-christ, so to speak, a government more likely to serve the needs of most people first would be inherently superior.

I cannot understand that, since time immemorial people fight to be free.
In our time, people want to give their freedom to the government.

I really want to understand," the slave who likes the landlord".
I'm talking more about socialism than the monarchy, a monarchy socialist is the top of slavery.
Everything belongs to the government, and the government is only one person, Ivan the Terrible would love this idea.

Actually, the government in socialism is meant to be all people in the governed body. In socialism, a majority vote would be able to replace the current elected "leader" at any time. This has obvious advantages over a representative government, as the people get more say.

My country had a monarchy, a dictatorship and now live in a social democracy, here the political exchange bread per vote, social movements work as militia, all supported by the "will of the people".
The dictatorship of the majority rule us all, and this are ruining the country.
Otokage
Posts: 2,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 4:44:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

There's really no good reason to support monarchy unless your country's citizens are a bunch of ignorants that could not tye their shoes themselves. In which case monarchy should be a dictatorship, not a useless pseudodemocracy that is now.

People have the right to choose their leader, so monarchy is a profoundly antidemocratic and intelectualy offensive institution. It really pisses me that there's a guy over the law, ruling me (or pretending to do it, because they actualy do nothing this parasites lol), for whom I have to pay my fair share of taxes, and that I have never voted that I want it. It's horrible.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2014 10:41:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/29/2014 9:23:45 AM, truthsought wrote:
At 11/28/2014 8:56:21 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 11/28/2014 8:39:13 AM, truthsought wrote:
At 11/28/2014 4:45:18 AM, Lupo wrote:
There is someone here who supports monarchy ? (Japan, UK, Netherlands )

What are your reasons?

I don't necessarily oppose monarchy because as of today a monarch doesn't really have much authority, if any. Over the years they have lost their power significantly. they are simply there for, like the previous member said, tradition. I don't think that today we need that, especially if when it is so costly for the public. I am certainly not against constitutional monarchy. I just don't like to pay for it.

Buckingham palace is like what.. a billion dollars?

Obama is trillions of dollars, and his scepter is ugly.

A president has more power than a monarch. how he practices it is another story. and while a bad president can be replaced after couple of years (max), a monarch is there forever.
A monarch, even in Great Britain , might be influential but certainly not powerful. The Queen can make no decision on her own. she can at most block a law (which doesn't happen that often either). The Queen is probably the most powerful monarch today, but even her power is just in theory. In reality, it is very limited.
so basically we are paying billions for someone who is there (mostly) just to nod to and agree with the laws and polices made by ministers.

quite the opposite really,

1. UK monarch is among the weakest in the world, the Kings and Princes in middle east are far more powerful almost to the point of outright authoritarian. As per her influences as an constitutional queen, I believed the monarch in Asia has far more influences in public than the British queen (such as the Japanese Emperor or the King of Thailand.)

2. UK royal family does not generate million in maintenance, they are in fact, generating revenue to the public via their voluntary contribution of royal property's income to the public. Abolishing them will be costlier than keeping them in place, unless you are a socialist and don't really mind robbing people - provided that they are rich.

I am about to post some video that explain this situation well but somebody already did that.