Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2010 6:49:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
What are your views on this?
For me, I am undecided on the issue.
1. With this new law in Arizona, I don't see how it would be bad if police officers pulled went harder on Latinos because, statistically, the majority of illegal immigrants, especially those in or passing by Arizona, are Latino. No, I'm not saying 'assume every Latino is illegal'. I'm saying what's the problem if officers go after them more often that another race? It's logical to do so. Besides, they have to be doing something else in order for them to be checked out anyways.
2. Terrorists, the terrorists that have been targeting the U.S. for the past couple of years, have been Islamic Extremists. However, profiling is not really needed here because security in Airports is getting better and better. However, not all terrorist attacks are going to be in Airports in planes.
http://www.reuters.com...

Still undecided. What are some negatives
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2010 2:41:28 PM
At 5/14/2010 6:49:48 AM, Nubway wrote:
What are some negatives

Police are trained to see Latino\ Middle Easterns as terrorists.

Terrorist groups begin to use other races.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2010 6:06:09 PM
Depends, if police know that a white guy in a grey hoodie committed a crime, they're gonna be looking for a white guy in a grey hoodie, they could drive past a black guy in a grey hoodie, a Latino in a grey hoodie and an Asian in a grey hoodie and ignore them completely, that's racial profiling too, and it's already used whenever police pursue a suspect immediately after a crime once they have a physical description (most often used for motor-related incidents or theft)

Watch the odd episode of cops if you like, as soon as the police get even a vague description they're yelling it into their radios to their buddies waiting with a big net.

Racial profiling has been used indirectly now pretty much ever since the use of radios and mass communication amongst police forces, what the police in the US are doing with this immigration thing is just taking it to the next step. Yes it's more likely for a Mexican illegal immigrant to be Latino, no, that does not mean that all immigrants will be Latino. It depends both on how severely the race is tied with the crime and to what extent the police will attempt to find proof of a person of particular racial ethnicity having committed a crime.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Sam_Lowry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2010 12:28:50 AM
The negatives are that it is illegal and unconstitutional. In Arizona, almost a third of all American citizens are Hispanic, not including the legal non citizen immigrants.

"Depends, if police know that a white guy in a grey hoodie committed a crime, they're gonna be looking for a white guy in a grey hoodie, they could drive past a black guy in a grey hoodie, a Latino in a grey hoodie and an Asian in a grey hoodie and ignore them completely, that's racial profiling too, and it's already used whenever police pursue a suspect immediately after a crime once they have a physical description (most often used for motor-related incidents or theft)"

No.

"Racial profiling refers to the "use by law enforcement personnel of an individual's race or ethnicity as a factor in articulating reasonable suspicion to stop, question or arrest an individual, unless race or ethnicity is part of an identifying description of a specific suspect for a specific crime.""
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2010 11:14:00 AM
The big question for us in the US is the question of probable cause. I don't presume to know the role that probable cause has in other legal systems. I do not believe that now at this time there is probable cause by race alone.

In Arizona the action of stopping an individual cannot be based on race, but rather based on another reason for action against an individual.

However, let's not pretend that this is a guide that is strictly adhered to. In my state we have sobriety check points at certain of heavy traffic times and times when it is assumed that there are greater numbers of drunk drivers, cars are stopped either randomly or completely. In this case there is no probable cause to stop and question individuals.