Jump to topic:

Syncretic Researchers

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:21:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone besides me derive influence from syncretic researchers and thinkers? It seems that the only people daring enough are the conspiracy researchers who combine conspiracy, politics, science, religion, psychology, philosophy, ancient history, exobiology, exopolitics, quantum mechanics, sociology, archaeology and much more.

If you know of any, please name them.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:30:57 PM
You mean who is daring enough to believe contradictions exist? Syncretism isn't just about the use of disparate beliefs, it's about reconciling disparate beliefs that contradict.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:34:03 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:30:57 PM, Puck wrote:
You mean who is daring enough to believe contradictions exist? Syncretism isn't just about the use of disparate beliefs, it's about reconciling disparate beliefs that contradict.

I'm using the term loosely. I'm referring to the bolded only. Does politics contradict science? Does psychology contradict sociology?

Such an assertion is absurd.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:35:30 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:34:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I'm using the term loosely. I'm referring to the bolded only. Does politics contradict science? Does psychology contradict sociology?

So don't strawman me then if you claim you are only using a loose definition. People use information all the time from seperate disciplines, there is nothing unique in that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:39:03 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:35:30 PM, Puck wrote:

So don't strawman me then if you claim you are only using a loose definition.

Ok.

People use information all the time from seperate disciplines, there is nothing unique in that.

Certainly, there is. Have you ever picked up a book in the same vain as a David Icke book that focuses not on a single topic but every single topic I listed.

Most everyone has a major in something, specializes in this, is an expert in that, etc. No one truly has a discipline that's entirely syncretic.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:43:25 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:39:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Most everyone has a major in something, specializes in this, is an expert in that, etc. No one truly has a discipline that's entirely syncretic.

because theres so much detailed knowledge in so many fields... no one can be an expert in all of it. if you only know a little bit about a lot of things you're bound to get stuff wrong.

also, you should read this: http://www.amazon.com...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:44:24 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:35:30 PM, Puck wrote:

So don't strawman me then if you claim you are only using a loose definition.

Ok.

People use information all the time from seperate disciplines, there is nothing unique in that.

Certainly, there is. Have you ever picked up a book in the same vain as a David Icke book that focuses not on a single topic but every single topic I listed.

No, because most people when they write a book like to include detail, since that's the point. Say, a book on evolution though, may include a vast drawing from different disciplines.

Note I did say people use, not specifically publish. I don't exist as a 'my knowledge is from biology' strictness - no ones does.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:12:35 PM
Interesting points guys.

It just so happens that the researcher who brought the term to my attention said the same thing.

"[I'm not] an expert in the subject by any strength of the imagination. My work is entirely syncretic. " - Michael Tsarion (Researcher)

However, this guy has been studying various fields for 30 years, so I'd say he's knowledgeable enough in each field. In fact, (this just came to mind) I think that perhaps these syncretic researchers are an example of applied science as opposed to science. Like the scientist discovers the cure, the doctor delivers the potion and the procedure.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:34:09 PM

I am nearly the poster child for syncretism. Sikhism is a syncretic religion intentionally designed by Guru Nanak Dev Ji to combine elements of Islam and Hinduism. Now that's hard to do (but it works!)

As for having a major in something, my bachelors degree (University of Michigan) is a Bachelor of General Studies (BGS). Other than the general requirements that all of their bachelors degrees have to fulfill, the distinguishing feature of the BGS is that it doesn't permit more than 20 credits in any department. I literally majored in minoring with 18-20 credits in all of political science, sociology, religion, anthropology and education.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:02:50 PM
At 5/18/2010 9:12:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Interesting points guys.

It just so happens that the researcher who brought the term to my attention said the same thing.

"[I'm not] an expert in the subject by any strength of the imagination. My work is entirely syncretic. " - Michael Tsarion (Researcher)

However, this guy has been studying various fields for 30 years, so I'd say he's knowledgeable enough in each field.
A rough definition of "expert" is ten years of study/ knowledge acquiring work in a given field. That gives hm 3 expertises max.

In fact, (this just came to mind) I think that perhaps these syncretic researchers are an example of applied science as opposed to science. Like the scientist discovers the cure, the doctor delivers the potion and the procedure.
I'm pretty sure the conspiracy theorists you read haven't cured much of anything. "Applied conspiracy theory" would be delivering alien carcasses to CNN, or trading with aliens for a warp drive, or something.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 3:04:26 AM
At 5/18/2010 8:21:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Does anyone besides me derive influence from syncretic researchers and thinkers? It seems that the only people daring enough are the conspiracy researchers who combine conspiracy, politics, science, religion, psychology, philosophy, ancient history, exobiology, exopolitics, quantum mechanics, sociology, archaeology and much more.

If you know of any, please name them.

Syncretic actually means something, please don't propagate the term 'syncretic researcher' to mean mentally ill people that believe every bit of new age ancient astronaut, shape-shifting lizard, masonic bull sh1t.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 3:14:11 AM
At 5/19/2010 3:04:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Syncretic actually means something, please don't propagate the term 'syncretic researcher' to mean mentally ill people that believe every bit of new age ancient astronaut, shape-shifting lizard, masonic bull sh1t.

Then name me one syncretic researcher that you consider legitimate.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 3:53:27 AM
At 5/19/2010 3:14:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/19/2010 3:04:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Then name me one syncretic researcher that you consider legitimate.

The world is full of them, for instance you can't be a historian without some acknowledgment of anthropology, theology, science etc. Quantum physics is/feeds into philosophy. Engineers look to biology.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 7:37:56 AM
It doesn't help the case that "This term means something it should be defended" to say that "the world is full of them pretty much any field with research of any sort is syncretic"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.