J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:59:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/18/2010 8:58:13 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/18/2010 8:55:56 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Rand Paul is the official Republican senate nominee in Kentucky!

Suck on that, Mitch McChinless :p

http://voices.washingtonpost.com...

Boo.

You don't like Rand Paul?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:02:26 PM
In other news happening at the same time, Jack Conway won for the Democrats in Kentucky (there's about a 6-point spread between Paul and Conway); Sestak has appeared to have beaten incumbent Senator Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania for the Democrats; and Senator Blanche Lincoln will be heading to a run-off in Arkansas against fellow Democrat Bill Halter.

Oh, and the Democrats won the Pennsylvania-12 special election handily.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:02:51 PM
I like some of his stances against Federal Reserve, Patriot Act, etc., but he's a associated with the disgusting Tea Party.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:07:22 PM
At 5/18/2010 9:02:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I like some of his stances against Federal Reserve, Patriot Act, etc., but he's a associated with the disgusting Tea Party.

Ron Paul started the Tea Parties...but I hear you. It's changed a lot since then and not for the better. The bottom line is that's how you win nowadays. Rand is more electable than Ron because he's willing to emphasize his fiscal conservatism and downplay his anti-war, anti-drug war stances.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:14:30 PM
I think it is great! I was watching for a long time. He is up and coming. I am proud that at least one state is buying into a better way. I feel that he will win this thing. It will be fun!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 9:15:15 PM
At 5/18/2010 9:07:22 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/18/2010 9:02:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Ron Paul started the Tea Parties...but I hear you. It's changed a lot since then and not for the better. The bottom line is that's how you win nowadays. Rand is more electable than Ron because he's willing to emphasize his fiscal conservatism and downplay his anti-war, anti-drug war stances.

I don't think Ron stated it...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 8:38:42 AM
At 5/18/2010 9:07:22 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Rand is a heck of a lot worse. Ron is a good man but he definitely messed up with Rand.

"After 911, an immediate raid by 10,000 Special Forces on camps in Afghanistan would have been justified by the executive, even if the decision was made in secrecy.

But, any military action that takes more than a few days or weeks to organize and is directed against a country's government should require a declaration of war. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Congress met and declared war within 24hrs.

Congress has had plenty of time to declare war on Afghanistan and Iraq. As a member of Congress, Dr. Rand Paul would have demanded and voted in the affirmative for a declaration of war with Afghanistan. He would demand and voted against a declaration of war with Iraq." - Rand Paul's website

"I do not support eliminating all federal laws or penalties on marijuana." - Rand Paul
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:05:45 AM
Rand Paul is not that bad.
He differs on his dad on somethings.
I think;
National security, National defense, GITMO, and ... I think that was it.

But even if he differs he will still follow the constitution. That is 1 more than the entire senate.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:38:08 AM
At 5/18/2010 9:02:26 PM, Volkov wrote:
In other news happening at the same time, Jack Conway won for the Democrats in Kentucky (there's about a 6-point spread between Paul and Conway); Sestak has appeared to have beaten incumbent Senator Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania for the Democrats; and Senator Blanche Lincoln will be heading to a run-off in Arkansas against fellow Democrat Bill Halter.

Oh, and the Democrats won the Pennsylvania-12 special election handily.

Don't forget West Virginia's First (my district)!

28 year (14 term) incumbent Alan Mollohan lost in the Democratic primary to Mike Oliverio. This district is heavily Democratic, so Oliverio will win in a landslide.

This will have implications for the national Democratic Party. Oliverio is significantly more conservative than Mollohan was both fiscally and socially (he is against any sort of rights for same sex couples, is staunchly pro-life, and against the Democrat's health care reform, &ct). He is a Democrat in name only. If this district were more even, he admits he would be a Republican. In the state legislature he usually voted with the Republicans.

I am sad for my district.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:42:42 AM
At 5/19/2010 9:38:08 AM, JBlake wrote:
Don't forget West Virginia's First (my district)!

28 year (14 term) incumbent Alan Mollohan lost in the Democratic primary to Mike Oliverio. This district is heavily Democratic, so Oliverio will win in a landslide.

This will have implications for the national Democratic Party. Oliverio is significantly more conservative than Mollohan was both fiscally and socially (he is against any sort of rights for same sex couples, is staunchly pro-life, and against the Democrat's health care reform, &ct). He is a Democrat in name only. If this district were more even, he admits he would be a Republican. In the state legislature he usually voted with the Republicans.

I am sad for my district.

I heard about that. I suppose that ends up conforming to your district though, no? It may be heavily Democratic but is it liberal in its scope? It looks like a sprawling rural seat to me.
BellumQuodPacis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:51:03 AM
I am relatively happy that Rand Paul won. I would like to see a Tea Party be officially established and have a successful political career. If done correctly, the Tea Party could possibly make a 2nd majority and possibly undercut republicans. Then the only thing left would have to be Dems, and that shouldn't be too hard as Obama is doing that all on his own.
BellumQuodPacis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:58:17 AM
At 5/19/2010 9:54:11 AM, JBlake wrote:
Unfortunately, yes (for the most part). My town is very liberal. But the rest of the district is not.

South Florida is mainly Hispanic. So whoever the Hispanic Candidate is, wins.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 10:02:47 AM
At 5/19/2010 9:54:11 AM, JBlake wrote:
Unfortunately, yes (for the most part). My town is very liberal. But the rest of the district is not.

I suppose that's what happens. I have a similar problem for my district here; on the surface, it would appear to be pretty Liberal, but it consistently votes Conservative, especially provincially.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 4:30:46 PM
At 5/19/2010 9:51:03 AM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
I am relatively happy that Rand Paul won. I would like to see a Tea Party be officially established

This could come up. Hey look at the republicans. They just needed a little serge, a strong candidate and a rift inside of the other parties.

This can work!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 9:02:58 AM
After watching him on Rachel Maddow, I have a newfound respect for him.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
yayawhatever
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 11:10:37 PM
After watching him on Rachel Maddow, many have a new perspective of him--the type of perspective where politicians of his party dont stop to talk to newspeople about him
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:01:30 AM
At 5/20/2010 9:02:58 AM, Reasoning wrote:
After watching him on Rachel Maddow, I have a newfound respect for him.

y
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:06:02 AM
At 5/23/2010 11:02:35 AM, comoncents wrote:
He is right in his stance.
(my opinion)

It is just hard to convey that to the people.

But it is political suicide to just come out and say it.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:12:45 AM
Comoncents is exactly correct. And we are seeing it right now with Rand Paul.

People are either willfully ignoring his argument (that the source of his view on the Civil Rights Act is his Libertarianism and not racism), or they are too stupid to separate the two. They can't understand that someone could be in favor of allowing people the freedom to discriminate and be a racist, yet they are not a racist.

I think Paul's views on this issue, if implemented, would be a huge step backwards. However, I understand that his views are not due to racism. It is an unfair attack.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:26:44 PM
At 5/23/2010 11:12:45 AM, JBlake wrote:
Comoncents is exactly correct. And we are seeing it right now with Rand Paul.

People are either willfully ignoring his argument (that the source of his view on the Civil Rights Act is his Libertarianism and not racism), or they are too stupid to separate the two. They can't understand that someone could be in favor of allowing people the freedom to discriminate and be a racist, yet they are not a racist.

I think Paul's views on this issue, if implemented, would be a huge step backwards. However, I understand that his views are not due to racism. It is an unfair attack.

It's like saying, "You want to allow gay marriage? Then YOU'RE GAY!"
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:37:49 PM
Racism is the lazy man's argument, it's a weak argument, but it's an effective label once it sticks. Non-thinking people believe it and cannot grasp the McCarthy-like approach that it has. His position is completely reasonable and one hat is based in a value of freedom to the individual.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:59:58 PM
At 5/23/2010 11:12:45 AM, JBlake wrote:
People are either willfully ignoring his argument (that the source of his view on the Civil Rights Act is his Libertarianism and not racism), or they are too stupid to separate the two.

You're correct. Rand Paul's position on Civil Rights has nothing to do with his racism.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 1:01:50 PM
At 5/23/2010 11:01:30 AM, comoncents wrote:
y

Because I respect people that don't back down from principle.

Of course, if he could extend this private property principle to marijuana, like his dad, that would be good too.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 1:08:11 PM
At 5/23/2010 1:01:50 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 5/23/2010 11:01:30 AM, comoncents wrote:
y

Because I respect people that don't back down from principle.

Of course, if he could extend this private property principle to marijuana, like his dad, that would be good too.

He doesn't?