Jump to topic:

Everyone Is Idealistic

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 3:40:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Everyone is idealistic to some extent. Unless you accept every single current state of affairs, current economic system, you accept every single law and legislation, then YOU are an idealist. So point the finger back at yourself unless you have no opinions at all whatsoever.

My primary stance is that you identify the problem, then remove it. Problems that ought to be removed include government, monetary system, laws, police force, military, etc.

Then people ask me the question about what would we do if this and this happened and how do we solve such and such issue. Such a question demands an answer that is inevitably idealistic. Instead of not giving an answer, I suggest that there are solutions that could work in place of the current system. So what's the problem?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 3:55:26 AM
There are degrees of idealism, pure idealism without consideration of the consequences is dangerous.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 4:31:11 AM
The problem is that some people are idealistic to the point of absurdity.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:22:31 AM
At 5/19/2010 3:40:21 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
So what's the problem?

The problem ends up being that idealists become too idealistic; they might "identify the problem," but end up having zero solutions for it, or at least no solutions which are actually consistent with current or future facts on the ground. It ends up being all in your head, and expectations tend to fall short often.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:24:12 AM
At 5/19/2010 3:55:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There are degrees of idealism, pure idealism without consideration of the consequences is dangerous.

It is called being a part of the american democratic part!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 9:24:56 AM
At 5/19/2010 9:24:12 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 5/19/2010 3:55:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It is called being a part of the american democratic party!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 11:00:56 AM
Keep your expectations of people low and you won't be disappointed, and when they do the right thing, you are pleasantly surprised.

Also, i think you are confusing idealism and optimism.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 11:18:56 AM
Everyone is idealistic, sure. But it manifests itself differently. Some people really value consistency (i.e. Ragnar and Rezz). Others value pragmatism and don't mind if some things seem inconsistent as long as they function.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 12:11:36 PM
At 5/19/2010 9:22:31 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/19/2010 3:40:21 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
So what's the problem?

The problem ends up being that idealists become too idealistic; they might "identify the problem," but end up having zero solutions for it,

That is the solution. Remove the problems and the rest will work itself out. Maybe the solution is to not replace the old system with a new one.

or at least no solutions which are actually consistent with current or future facts on the ground. It ends up being all in your head, and expectations tend to fall short often.

So would you admit that your liberal ideology is all in your head and has no place in reality?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 12:14:29 PM
At 5/19/2010 12:11:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So would you admit that your liberal ideology is all in your head and has no place in reality?

Took me a while to realise this was a troll thread.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.