Jump to topic:

I'm an oversimplifying, irrational person

debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:55:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is me, debate_power, telling you how much of a twerp I am. I also try to pass off opinions as empirical fact! You can't trust me because my credibility is permanently wedged at the "zero" mark.

Take a look at this forum if you don't believe me! It's in the "Politics" section, like this post.

http://www.debate.org...
You can call me Mark if you like.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:10:45 PM
Completely agree 100%.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:01:30 AM
At 12/10/2014 4:55:02 PM, debate_power wrote:
This is me, debate_power, telling you how much of a twerp I am. I also try to pass off opinions as empirical fact! You can't trust me because my credibility is permanently wedged at the "zero" mark.

Take a look at this forum if you don't believe me! It's in the "Politics" section, like this post.

ok
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
iMagUdspEllr89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 7:27:29 AM
@Debate_Power: The first post you made in that thread that I ran across is quoted here:

Debate_Power wrote:
The US is more of a danger than ISIS is, even though both are evil. Considering the US's track record in the Third World, the last thing I would want is for the US to go back into the Middle East. You hear about all the things that the US's enemies do more than you hear about what the US does, and that's for a reason. Even when die-hard Americans find out about their government's atrocities, they're often inclined to deny things. The things our government has done in the past in the name of "democracy" or "liberty" are truly despicable. Which is not to endorse ISIS at all.

Why do you think the US is more of a danger than ISIS and why do you think the US is evil?

The US commits atrocities on horrible people. I'm okay with that. If they weren't horrible people we wouldn't have done anything to them. I won't deny that the US does "bad" stuff but that is relative. Stealing is wrong, unless I am stealing my captor's keys in order to escape.

So, again, are there any particular acts you had in mind?
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:01:40 AM

It seems that you are one of the only people here (at least in the politics session) that isn't afraid of recognizing your own mistakes. This alone gives you more credibility than everybody else.
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:27:44 PM

Don't be salty. If you'd like to consider your views outside of that conversation, I endorse you making your own thread and opening up the discussion accordingly. However, to whine ironically is just... the most repugnant application of highbrow humor.

Stop it.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:30:51 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:27:44 PM, Such wrote:

Don't be salty. If you'd like to consider your views outside of that conversation, I endorse you making your own thread and opening up the discussion accordingly. However, to whine ironically is just... the most repugnant application of highbrow humor.

Stop it.

Sorry, this was because of another misunderstanding. It's been resolved. Just ignore the post.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:32:38 PM

That said, I'd like to approach your views.

I understand where you're coming from -- particularly regarding the Third World. The difference is the fact that you, a fifteen year old American, have access to that information and are free to criticize it without fear of brutality. Extremist groups like ISIS remove such freedoms.

Don't get me wrong. I tend to be more objective, and moderate, than most about world politics. But, there are things I've seen regarding ISIS that has definitely sided me against them.

Have you viewed that video they released of them going around gunning people down and bombing them? It's one thing to see it represented cinemagraphically in movies like Natural Born Killers, but when you see people driving around murdering civilians and being actual sociopaths, you can much more clearly see the distinct line between the shameful way humans conduct politics among themselves in general, and extreme groups driven by hatred committing real atrocities.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 12:55:42 PM
At 12/13/2014 12:32:38 PM, Such wrote:

That said, I'd like to approach your views.

I understand where you're coming from -- particularly regarding the Third World. The difference is the fact that you, a fifteen year old American, have access to that information and are free to criticize it without fear of brutality. Extremist groups like ISIS remove such freedoms.

Don't get me wrong. I tend to be more objective, and moderate, than most about world politics. But, there are things I've seen regarding ISIS that has definitely sided me against them.

Have you viewed that video they released of them going around gunning people down and bombing them? It's one thing to see it represented cinemagraphically in movies like Natural Born Killers, but when you see people driving around murdering civilians and being actual sociopaths, you can much more clearly see the distinct line between the shameful way humans conduct politics among themselves in general, and extreme groups driven by hatred committing real atrocities.

Oh, I'm certainly not supportive of ISIS, for fascist tactics, religious fundamentalism, and civilian massacres, and I'm most certain you never thought I was. Certainly, I'm grateful for freedom of expression (as opposed to being dead right now with my head in a basket). But keep in mind that ISIS was, in fact, armed by the United States to assist in the toppling of the Syrian regime, and also, that Nouri-al-Maliki's regime is noted for being corrupt and brutal, and was installed by the U.S. government after Saddam was ousted. The U.S.'s primary interests are of allegiances and resources. Just look at the situation here. A corrupt and brutal dictator is installed with the help of a U.S. intelligence agency, is sold chemical and biological weapons by the U.S., is toppled by the U.S., and is replaced with another corrupt and brutal dictator. That sort of repeated intervention is like to provoke support for right- wing authoritarian groups that try to appeal to the people and designate their enemies as the ones who intervened.

As to the videos, no, I haven't seen them, but I don't think they could speak for the ISIS threat level like statistics and recorded instances could.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 1:00:50 PM
At 12/13/2014 7:27:29 AM, iMagUdspEllr89 wrote:
@Debate_Power: The first post you made in that thread that I ran across is quoted here:

Debate_Power wrote:
The US is more of a danger than ISIS is, even though both are evil. Considering the US's track record in the Third World, the last thing I would want is for the US to go back into the Middle East. You hear about all the things that the US's enemies do more than you hear about what the US does, and that's for a reason. Even when die-hard Americans find out about their government's atrocities, they're often inclined to deny things. The things our government has done in the past in the name of "democracy" or "liberty" are truly despicable. Which is not to endorse ISIS at all.

Why do you think the US is more of a danger than ISIS and why do you think the US is evil?

The US commits atrocities on horrible people. I'm okay with that. If they weren't horrible people we wouldn't have done anything to them. I won't deny that the US does "bad" stuff but that is relative. Stealing is wrong, unless I am stealing my captor's keys in order to escape.

So, again, are there any particular acts you had in mind?

Well, support for Saddam Hussein, support for Nouri-al-Maliki, the arming of the Mujahideen, assistance with the anti-communist purges in Indonesia, support for Latin American dictators, assistance of the Khmer Rouge, the planting of millions of landmines in Cambodia, support for Libyan rebels in Libya and ISIS in Syria, recruiting Nazis to destabilize Eastern Europe, the installation of drug lords in Afghanistan that brought drug production to an all-time high, etc.
iMagUdspEllr89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 2:20:45 AM
I thought we stopped Saddam and turned him over to be hung? Nouri-al-Maliki replaced Saddam. What is wrong with supporting someone who isn't Saddam? The CIA helped the Mujahideen from 1979 to 1989 in order to fight against the USSR invasion force. sarcasm: Yes, the US fought against communists by killing them, how sad. /sarcasm

I have no problem with underhanded or clandestine actions so long as bad people die because of it. If they weren't bad we wouldn't be doing it. I don't understand how killing oppressors makes you evil.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 9:37:46 AM

And the point of your post was... what now?
Tsar of DDO