Jump to topic:

Is this ethical?

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 3:47:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
unfortunately the site is ripe with poop-ups but you should get the gist pretty quickly...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 3:50:53 PM
Very bad typo indeed.

Is it ethical? No. Not only is that a privacy risk but could lead them to be harmed if someone were to take it literally.

But, it's damn funny. I applaud the cleverness behind it.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 3:56:31 PM
That's perfectly ethical. It's not as if they're keeping their anti-gun stance some kind of secret. If they want to live in a world free of gun rights, then it's perfectly justifiable that they be exposed to the possible results of such an advocacy.

Plus, Volkov, I don't know how much a privacy risk you can claim it to be when the neighbors to whom the sign refers hold the position that it's permissible for the government to forcibly relieve people of their firearms. Whose rights are in jeopardy from a stance like that, do you suppose?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 3:59:23 PM
At 5/22/2010 3:56:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Plus, Volkov, I don't know how much a privacy risk you can claim it to be when the neighbors to whom the sign refers hold the position that it's permissible for the government to forcibly relieve people of their firearms. Whose rights are in jeopardy from a stance like that, do you suppose?

There's a difference between advocacy and a neighbour putting up a sign specifically to encourage criminals to break into the home. I'd call that a privacy risk, no matter what the person's beliefs are
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:18:43 PM
At 5/22/2010 3:59:23 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/22/2010 3:56:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

There's a difference between advocacy and a neighbour putting up a sign specifically to encourage criminals to break into the home. I'd call that a privacy risk, no matter what the person's beliefs are.

It takes a pretty open interpretation to say that it's actively encouraging a criminal to break in.

Even if it is, though: so what? If I donate $1,000,000 in cash to a fragile, elderly man on the outskirts of town, and I publish the fact (out of pride) in every newspaper in the city, I'm sure I've made him a VERY attractive target. Should I be banned from intentionally donating the money and publishing the act in newspapers?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:51:58 PM
I don't know whether it's legal or not, but it's not very neighbourly is it?

I am glad I don't live next door to a paranoid gun-freak like that.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:58:04 PM
If I were his neighbour I'd put up a sign saying:

"Rapists - the teenage girl next door doesn't believe in sex before marriage and is opposed to abortion. That means she's a VIRGIN and she is willing to have your children.

Out of respect for her opinions, I'm not going to call the police if I hear her screaming."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:59:19 PM
At 5/22/2010 4:58:04 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

"Rapists - the teenage girl next door doesn't believe in sex before marriage and is opposed to abortion. That means she's a VIRGIN and she is willing to have your children.

Out of respect for her opinions, I'm not going to call the police if I hear her screaming."

Hehe, good one.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 5:05:24 PM
At 5/22/2010 4:59:19 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Hehe, good one.

Hey Panda - it's gone 1 o'clock in the morning, what are you still doing up?

Go to bed this instant young man!
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 5:27:43 PM

The last sentence doesn't seem to fit...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 6:17:21 PM
At 5/22/2010 4:18:43 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It takes a pretty open interpretation to say that it's actively encouraging a criminal to break in.

Not hard to read between the lines, in my opinion.

Even if it is, though: so what? If I donate $1,000,000 in cash to a fragile, elderly man on the outskirts of town, and I publish the fact (out of pride) in every newspaper in the city, I'm sure I've made him a VERY attractive target. Should I be banned from intentionally donating the money and publishing the act in newspapers?

You're not doing so maliciously, are you? There's plenty of reason to suspect that this neighbour is.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 8:48:39 PM
Sounds vaguely like how my proposed government operates, only the sign says "the house next to me has not paid for the protection of the gov't..."

As such you can tell my rather biased answer.

That said, if you broke into someone's home to find out they had no guns, there's a serious problem. If your knowledge is legitimate and acquired without confidentiality agreement, no such problem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 8:49:43 PM
And brian, two problems. One, not everyone for guns is religious.

Two, these people still have GUNS. Lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 9:00:43 PM
At 5/22/2010 8:56:36 PM, Nags wrote:
I hope everyone realizes that the sign was photoshopped. It's pretty obvious.

Hey, you're right. I thought something was a little weird but I didn't look at it long enough to care.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 9:05:53 PM
At 5/22/2010 8:49:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yea, that's true. I'm not pro-gun rights and I'm religious.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 9:22:03 PM
At 5/22/2010 9:05:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/22/2010 8:49:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yea, that's true. I'm not pro-gun rights and I'm religious.

That's not exactly what I was talking about

*waves his gun with his atheist arm*

*Wait, Doesn't actually own a gun, but intends to rectify that eventually*.

Lol.