Jump to topic:

ISIS and Post-Meccan Muhammadan Islam

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:01:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is Post-Meccan Muhammadan Islam?

Islam is not the Muslims, but the actual religion, yet it is obvious that religions do evolve. To avoid confusion, I will define Muhammadan Islam as the set of religious doctrines and practices at the times of Mohammad Ibn Abdullah, and define Post-Meccan Muhammadan Islam as the Islam in the second half of Mohammad's life-time, after he was kicked out of Meccah and turned from a pacifist preacher into a vengeful war criminal.

The Major Differences between them

Mohammad prohibited and never practiced the beheading of children(as far as I know), even in his infamous massacre of the men of Banu Qurayza. ISIS doesn't, and doesn't' give religious justification from what I've read.

ISIS uses scholarly-consensus over things Mohammad didn't explicitly condone or condemn. However, ISIS does accept some beliefs on several occasions, as long as some scholars accept them, regardless if they defy the scholarly-consensus. Examples include the capture of Muslim women which the majority of scholars would argue is prohibited, but ISIS argues to the contrary based on the fact that a minority of scholars disagree to serve its self-interest.

ISIS deals with new Islamic sects, new in the sense that they didn't exist at Mohammad's time, such as the Druze, Nusayrihs, Ismaelis and Alawees, and in ways which assume they are non-Islamic or Islamic without much justification, while Mohammad never faced such difficulty.

The Major Similarities

1- Military raids to spread Islam.

2- Capturing and enslavement of women and children with some subtle differences.

3- Both are guilty of iconoclasm toward certain groups. Mohammad destroyed the pagan statues of Meccah which would have been of great historic and religious worth, but never seemed to have attacked non-pagan temples or statues. ISIS has destroyed many statues and churches belonging to Christians and the Shiah sects.

4- The promise of splendid sex in the afterlife is both strong in ISIS campaigns and the Muhammadan Literature.

5- Punishment of apostates.

6- Appointing a monarch and pushing for a monarchy.

That taken into consideration, how can anyone deny that ISIS is not a relatively good follower of the traditions, doctrines and practices of Post-Meccan Muhammedan Islam? By that I don't defend ISIS, I am against it and against traditional Islam, mainly for that Post-Meccan mutation of Islam, which abrogates the peaceful versus often quoted to exaggerate Islamic pacifism such as the early meccan surah that says "no compulsion in religion." However, I wouldn't say I mind a modern Islam that is moderate and different, but encourage it.