Jump to topic:

Better watch out...

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:37:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Canadian government might be monitoring this forum: http://www.cbc.ca...

This has to be the worst idea I've seen come out of my government lately. If a federal employee tries to strike up a convo with me, I'll be very unhappy, and in turn, I'll make my MP very unhappy, which should make these people very unhappy. No one wins here.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:43:23 AM
yeah I don't like how that sounds any way you look at it. (basically the government stealing people's money in order to tell'em what to think)

But I think it would be less egregious if they identify themselves as a government employee tasked with that very job.

If they don't, and act like normal posters....

I think that's even less cool.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:44:31 AM
Wow.
Government intervention at its best!
This is what happens when you give the federal government to much power. They take it and run with it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:47:39 AM
I'm not clear on whether they'll become part of the website and correct "misinformation," or whether they'll send a stern e-mail somehow. Either way, I won't be pleased.

We should test this though. If everyone on the website starts talking about, hm, cut white baby seals getting killed, maybe we can make them appear. Kinda like that say the name three times and someone appears thing.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:48:59 AM
Comon, whether is was federal or provincial, this kinda thing would be going on. The feds do it probably because they have the resources at the moment, but I wouldn't bet against tiny Newfoundland making the same program.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:49:29 AM
At 5/23/2010 10:47:39 AM, Volkov wrote:
they'll send a stern e-mail somehow.

sounds like one small step away from intimidation
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:50:20 AM
LETS MURDER ALL THE SEALS.

Lol.

Somehow I don't see this as that big a deal. Taxes are bad of course, but those are there anyway. Seems to me like it's just discussing the citizen's petitions for redress of grievances-- with the citizens. Anonymous citizens. One should look forward to the opportunity to rebut the government itself.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:51:04 AM
At 5/23/2010 10:49:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
sounds like one small step away from intimidation

Indeed. Plus the fact that I am in Canada, I wonder if I could get a phone call. Oo, that's just be tonnes of fun!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:52:21 AM
At 5/23/2010 10:50:20 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Somehow I don't see this as that big a deal. Taxes are bad of course, but those are there anyway. Seems to me like it's just discussing the citizen's petitions for redress of grievances-- with the citizens. Anonymous citizens. One should look forward to the opportunity to rebut the government itself.

You've got a point. But the fact that they're sending people out into the forums and blogosphere to "correct misinformation" seems highly dubious to me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 10:58:13 AM
So they're confident in their correctness.

The news in that would be lack of confidence :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:02:37 AM
I'm fairly confident in their stupidity but that isn't news either, I suppose.

It's not the fact that I even disagree with the example about the seal hunt. I agree with them on it. I'd even say that they should have ears on forums to see what the public is saying. But to come in and "correct" it? Please.

Oh, and by the way, one of the commenters on the article said that the FBI might have the same program. Anyone know anything about it?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:09:51 AM
I know the CIA was caught editing wikipedia :P
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:35:24 AM
At 5/23/2010 11:32:30 AM, Shominy wrote:
Better watch out indeed... They've got employees "trained in online posting".

looks like China IS having a cultural influence in the world! :/

"Chinada"

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:40:30 AM
damned "chinadians"!!!

Metaphysics:
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:10:56 PM
What a novice...!! Where have you been till now..?
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:23:28 PM
At 5/23/2010 11:32:30 AM, Shominy wrote:
Better watch out indeed... They've got employees "trained in online posting".

Absolutely 10/10.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:26:06 PM
At 5/23/2010 12:21:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/23/2010 12:11:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm actually a government official. I just pretend to be a 19 year old girl. ;)

If you were a government official, you wouldn't even let us think that the term "moderate Muslim" existed.

Nah, it's all part of my plan to decieve you guys.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:34:16 PM
At 5/23/2010 12:26:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/23/2010 12:21:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/23/2010 12:11:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm actually a government official. I just pretend to be a 19 year old girl. ;)

If you were a government official, you wouldn't even let us think that the term "moderate Muslim" existed.

Nah, it's all part of my plan to decieve you guys.

It's working a little too well, perhaps, given all the guys who have hit on you during your tenure on this site.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 12:42:56 PM
At 5/23/2010 10:47:39 AM, Volkov wrote:
I'm not clear on whether they'll become part of the website and correct "misinformation," or whether they'll send a stern e-mail somehow. Either way, I won't be pleased.

We should test this though. If everyone on the website starts talking about, hm, cut white baby seals getting killed, maybe we can make them appear. Kinda like that say the name three times and someone appears thing.

Volkov, make a separate thread on this and see what happens. Make sure to use every applicable googlable word in relation ot the subject as many times as possible.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:29:21 PM
Everything Canada does takes us closer to Armageddon.

US should nuke and kill all its' inhabitants.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 2:44:51 AM
I agree with Rags (for once). It sounds like a good opportunity for dialogue between government and citizens and doesn't seem particularly sinister to me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 7:35:37 AM
At 5/24/2010 2:44:51 AM, feverish wrote:
I agree with Rags (for once).

It's not a surprise that you agree with me, it's a surprise that I agree with you. After all, it's the GOVERNMENT we're agreeing with. For that matter the CANADIAN government.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 9:10:29 AM
At 5/24/2010 7:35:37 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
For that matter the CANADIAN government.

Why is it so especially weird with the Canadian government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 9:16:21 AM
At 5/24/2010 9:10:29 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 7:35:37 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
For that matter the CANADIAN government.

Why is it so especially weird with the Canadian government?

Left-wing and hates free speech. Bad combo :P.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 1:17:23 PM
At 5/23/2010 10:37:35 AM, Volkov wrote:
The Canadian government might be monitoring this forum: http://www.cbc.ca...

The holocaust never happened.

(It's okay it's a reference to something).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.