Jump to topic:

The Most Dangerous Religion Is...

BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 6:59:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
your funny, where you get those numbers?
Bible actually list over 26 million personal kills by god, not including cities, or the wars waged in his name(crusades).
I would go as far as stating religion as a whole, kills more than government can ever dream to accomplish.

Most dangerous religion is religion, at least non believers don't kill millions or wage war just for god's sake, and they get killed anyways because of their stance on religion by the religious, if there is a god he is not a rational god.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 7:08:46 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:49:04 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
All of them. Everyone dies. 100% Mortality rate.

Well played, Polly :p In that case Hinduism is the least dangerous due to reincarnation.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 7:12:08 PM
At 12/17/2014 6:59:50 AM, BDPershing wrote:
Bible actually list over 26 million personal kills by god, not including cities, or the wars waged in his name(crusades).
I would go as far as stating religion as a whole, kills more than government can ever dream to accomplish.

Most dangerous religion is religion, at least non believers don't kill millions or wage war just for god's sake, and they get killed anyways because of their stance on religion by the religious, if there is a god he is not a rational god.

Government killed 262,000,000 in the 20th century alone: https://www.hawaii.edu...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 7:19:03 PM
At 12/17/2014 7:12:08 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Government killed 262,000,000 in the 20th century alone: https://www.hawaii.edu...

The government isn't a religion lol
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 7:27:50 PM
At 12/17/2014 7:08:46 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 12/17/2014 11:49:04 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
All of them. Everyone dies. 100% Mortality rate.

Well played, Polly :p In that case Hinduism is the least dangerous due to reincarnation.

If reincarnation is real then according to Buddhism materialism is the most dangerous religion.
BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 9:12:15 PM

You do understand I stated religion, and the bible is only part of that, were not even counting Islam, polytheism, Judaism, Paganism, etc...

from 1095 to 2005 20,750,000 were killed by holy war.
Not to mention the genocides based on different religions holocaust for example.
Some of those labeled as killed by government were actually killed by religion, which will hijack any form of government to kill who they please. Native american crusades for example, it was all about there beliefs that differ from Christianity. For a religion who is against violence Christians one hell of a bloody rap sheet, but like any other religion, none of them are truly "clean".
jh1234lnew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 9:29:03 PM
At 12/17/2014 5:42:43 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Statism. Death count (not including wars): 269,000,000

No, athesm is teh mots dagerous regilion becauses Hilter, Amo, Stalin, and Karl Marx were all atheists.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:52:26 PM
At 12/17/2014 9:29:03 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:

No, athesm is teh mots dagerous regilion becauses Hilter, Amo, Stalin, and Karl Marx were all atheists.

Can't tell if trolling or not, but assuming this is your opinion. Yes, atheism does play a large part in these ruler's countries (except for Hitler who was a devout Catholic) because they needed to set the state up as a religion in and of itself. Hence, weeding out rival religions is key. Today, the best example is North Korea, which is set up exactly like a faith-based cult with Kim Jong-un as the supreme deity.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:53:35 PM
At 12/17/2014 7:19:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

The government isn't a religion lol

Watch the YouTube video. The state isn't analogous to a religion; it *is* a religion.
Valladarex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:57:57 PM
I think it'd be interesting to know the percentage of people each religion get killed per believer. Even more interesting would be if we could find this statistic for different centuries and eras. I bet Christianity would be the most deadly at some points, Islam at others, and maybe even Roman polytheism or Hinduism at some points.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 12:18:33 AM
At 12/17/2014 9:12:15 PM, BDPershing wrote:

You do understand I stated religion, and the bible is only part of that, were not even counting Islam, polytheism, Judaism, Paganism, etc...

That's not as damning a statistic as you think it is. Since 1200, about 60 billion people have been born
(http://www.prb.org...). So assuming that your (unsourced and almost certainly exaggerated) claim about 20 million people dying of holy war during those centuries, that represents .0003% of the population born during that time. That's three in ten thousand. Moreover, I'm certain that the claim of these people being killed due to religion is as simplistic and historically baseless as WSA's claim that statism has killed 200 million. It just isn't that simple.

Not to mention the genocides based on different religions holocaust for example.

The Holocaust was based much more on ethnicity than religion. The determination for who was considered a Jew was made based on the grounds of ancestry (if their grandparents were Jews) than if they held to the faith.

Some of those labeled as killed by government were actually killed by religion, which will hijack any form of government to kill who they please. Native american crusades for example, it was all about there beliefs that differ from Christianity.

Yeah, no. The Europeans did not fight the Native Americans because they were non-Christians. They fought them for mostly economic reasons--they wanted land and resources, which meant the people who held them had to go.

For a religion who is against violence Christians one hell of a bloody rap sheet, but like any other religion, none of them are truly "clean".
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 7:33:43 PM
At 12/18/2014 12:18:33 AM, thett3 wrote:

That's not as damning a statistic as you think it is. Since 1200, about 60 billion people have been born
(http://www.prb.org...). So assuming that your (unsourced and almost certainly exaggerated) claim about 20 million people dying of holy war during those centuries, that represents .0003% of the population born during that time. That's three in ten thousand. Moreover, I'm certain that the claim of these people being killed due to religion is as simplistic and historically baseless as WSA's claim that statism has killed 200 million. It just isn't that simple.

And gun deaths of America are only 0.010205362776025236% yet people still complain, guess there's no problem at all if its such a small percentage of the population. No reason for the gun debate at all.
(2013 gun deaths,32,351, Population ~317mil)

The Holocaust was based much more on ethnicity than religion. The determination for who was considered a Jew was made based on the grounds of ancestry (if their grandparents were Jews) than if they held to the faith.

Basically if you worshiped the Jewish faith you were considered a Jew and, as most religions go, faith seems to fallow the family, but Christians will never consider themselves a race. Hitler's war was more about faith than anything else he was a devout christian who hated his heritage for how it was not a purely christian. He blamed everything on the Jewish faith and in return convinced himself that they were working with Satan as any religious motivated purge begins. This spread to others due to either being "weak" or not "pure" or simply allied to Jews therefor assisting "satan".

Some of those labeled as killed by government were actually killed by religion, which will hijack any form of government to kill who they please. Native american crusades for example, it was all about there beliefs that differ from Christianity.

Yeah, no. The Europeans did not fight the Native Americans because they were non-Christians. They fought them for mostly economic reasons--they wanted land and resources, which meant the people who held them had to go.

Actually yes, religion labeled natives as Satan worshipers and it was a moral obligation as Christians to kill them for the sake of god. All due to natives different religious beliefs, hell they were ordered to convert or die.

For a religion who is against violence Christians one hell of a bloody rap sheet, but like any other religion, none of them are truly "clean".
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 7:47:17 PM
At 12/19/2014 7:33:43 PM, BDPershing wrote:
At 12/18/2014 12:18:33 AM, thett3 wrote:

And gun deaths of America are only 0.010205362776025236% yet people still complain, guess there's no problem at all if its such a small percentage of the population. No reason for the gun debate at all.
(2013 gun deaths,32,351, Population ~317mil)

Lol, that's over 30 times the proportion killed by holy war. I'm not saying it isn't a problem--any death is a tragedy and a problem and religious extremism is definitely an issue and historically always has been--just like ideological extremists purging their political opponents is. That doesn't mean that the idea of having a state is inherently bad like WSA is attempting to imply.

It's just kind of funny how your argument for why religion was worse was less than a tenth of the deaths over ten times the time.

Basically if you worshiped the Jewish faith you were considered a Jew and, as most religions go, faith seems to fallow the family, but Christians will never consider themselves a race. Hitler's war was more about faith than anything else he was a devout christian who hated his heritage for how it was not a purely christian. He blamed everything on the Jewish faith and in return convinced himself that they were working with Satan as any religious motivated purge begins. This spread to others due to either being "weak" or not "pure" or simply allied to Jews therefor assisting "satan".

Oh my God, this can only be described as a butchery of history. Hitler was not a devout Christian, and his war was absolutely not about faith, it was about nationalism and vengeance for WWI.

Actually yes, religion labeled natives as Satan worshipers and it was a moral obligation as Christians to kill them for the sake of god. All due to natives different religious beliefs, hell they were ordered to convert or die.

I'm sure that the people encouraging genocide against the native americans when it was occurring would do everything they could to make them appear as alien as possible, and that would include emphasizing their different religious beliefs. But to deny that the warfare occurred primarily due to economic reasons is just an absolutely embarrassing misunderstanding of history.

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 9:43:03 PM
Hitler:
http://www.nobeliefs.com...

Religion affects all, it pushes people into a cult in-order to control. They use size to commit acts and force policy, causing governments to be simply a tool. Religion puts out myths and lies and only use one source as their proof for there claims. They will separate, single out anyone or groups as long as its to there gain. Believes that belong to most large cults center on the idea that they are "chosen" and therefor better. All those who are not with or "saved" will be punished. The cults of religion preach one main point, "Convert or Die". Cults indoctrinate the young before they could choose for themselves their stance on beliefs, and those who escape such a fate are exiled or looked down upon as the lost. Cult's double standard, over history, has provoked much violence in the world, dividing humanity into hundreds of social groups all believing that the differ from the other. When one group wishes to voice their words, cults will show and silence their words from ever reaching there destination. Cults weapon to the masses is fear it involves random fear with images of horror to keep the sheep from ever getting far, those who are immune to this fear are labeled as those to be feared and evil for the sheep to avoid and criticize.Cults when wanting a group punished, will whisper into their tools ear and command an attack to be done, which will be acted upon, some orders taking longer than others to accomplish. If the tools learn to break free from this control, the cult will raise the masses they control to overthrow the tool.

When it comes to the pyramid of power,
-Cult leaders
-Cult groups
-Governments/Nations
-small groups
-Masses/sheep

The cult leaders are the most powerful beings on earth controlling the cult groups which controls governing, which controls the smaller groups, which control the masses. For everyone belongs to a group, the only question which are you cult majority or suppressed/controlled minority. All are playing into the hands of these leaders doing exactly what they willed and they have not idea that they're being controlled.
Do you still think the cult of religion is still innocent?
Crimes done,
Soliciting
Rape
Murder
Genocide
Terrorism
Statutory rape

Fun facts
Christian vs Atheist Crime,
75% of America is Christian.

75% of prisoners are Christian.

10% of America is Atheist.

00.2% of prisoners are Atheist.

" Federal Bureau of Prisons, 1997
http://kalinbooks.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 10:23:38 PM
At 12/19/2014 9:43:03 PM, BDPershing wrote:
Hitler:
http://www.nobeliefs.com...

I don't doubt Hitler had some Christian beliefs. He also seemed to believe many things--considering the guy was insane, it's no surprise if his ideas seem conflicting. Most scholars generally agree that Christianity had no place in his vision for the third Reich (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

But you're shifting the goal posts here. Whether or not Hitler believed in Christianity is completely irrelevant to your argument about his war being about Christianity. Your argument is so historically baseless and so lacking in understanding of the historical context of the war that I have to seriously ponder if you've ever even touched a history book.

Religion affects all, it pushes people into a cult in-order to control. They use size to commit acts and force policy, causing governments to be simply a tool. Religion puts out myths and lies and only use one source as their proof for there claims. They will separate, single out anyone or groups as long as its to there gain. Believes that belong to most large cults center on the idea that they are "chosen" and therefor better. All those who are not with or "saved" will be punished. The cults of religion preach one main point, "Convert or Die".

That's....again, just not true. I don't even know where to begin.

Cults indoctrinate the young before they could choose for themselves their stance on beliefs, and those who escape such a fate are exiled or looked down upon as the lost. Cult's double standard, over history, has provoked much violence in the world, dividing humanity into hundreds of social groups all believing that the differ from the other. When one group wishes to voice their words, cults will show and silence their words from ever reaching there destination. Cults weapon to the masses is fear it involves random fear with images of horror to keep the sheep from ever getting far, those who are immune to this fear are labeled as those to be feared and evil for the sheep to avoid and criticize.Cults when wanting a group punished, will whisper into their tools ear and command an attack to be done, which will be acted upon, some orders taking longer than others to accomplish. If the tools learn to break free from this control, the cult will raise the masses they control to overthrow the tool.

When it comes to the pyramid of power,
-Cult leaders
-Cult groups
-Governments/Nations
-small groups
-Masses/sheep

The cult leaders are the most powerful beings on earth controlling the cult groups which controls governing, which controls the smaller groups, which control the masses. For everyone belongs to a group, the only question which are you cult majority or suppressed/controlled minority. All are playing into the hands of these leaders doing exactly what they willed and they have not idea that they're being controlled.
Do you still think the cult of religion is still innocent?
Crimes done,
Soliciting
Rape
Murder
Genocide
Terrorism
Statutory rape

literally the OP of this thread argued that secular states have killed far more people than religion ever has. You've yet to even attempt to refute any of the arguments anyone has made.

People commit crimes, not ideas. Some ideas are more vile than others, and you're free to make the argument that religion as an idea is harmful, but to attribute all crime to religion as you seem to be doing is just stupid.

Fun facts
Christian vs Atheist Crime,
75% of America is Christian.

75% of prisoners are Christian.

10% of America is Atheist.

00.2% of prisoners are Atheist.

" Federal Bureau of Prisons, 1997
http://kalinbooks.com...

Whoa, that is some heavy and in depth analysis. From this it's clear that religion is evil.

Anyway, this conversation is over.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:06:55 PM

I wouldn't call Statism a religion. Perhaps the palingenetic ultranationalism which plays such a vital role in fascism has a religious bent to it, and I agree with Christopher Dawson's characterization of Bolshevism as a religious movement. But statism in and of itself is more of an abstract political philosophy. One could call the Carolingian empire a Christian society, but it was also very statist, and subsequent empires would blur the line between religion and state, until the office of 'bishop' was as much a political appointment in some areas as it was a religious one. All in all I don't think that 'death tallies' are a very useful tool for comparison due to the blurring of lines, and general disagreement regarding the nature of the various ideologies involved.

As for Nazism, Hitler was a ravenous revanchist (I couldn't resist), and his plan for the Third Reich was guided by his vision of a restoration of German glory. Seeing as the First Reich was the Holy Roman Empire, this meant that many Christian symbols were appropriated by Hitler. And while the Catholic Church did flirt with Nazism, it never committed to it as fully as it did to Mussolini's form of Fascism. I think that the rather insubstantial link ends there. Calling Nazism a Christian movement isn't just inaccurate, it's farcical.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:11:09 PM
At 12/19/2014 11:06:55 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I wouldn't call Statism a religion. Perhaps the palingenetic ultranationalism which plays such a vital role in fascism has a religious bent to it, and I agree with Christopher Dawson's characterization of Bolshevism as a religious movement. But statism in and of itself is more of an abstract political philosophy. One could call the Carolingian empire a Christian society, but it was also very statist, and subsequent empires would blur the line between religion and state, until the office of 'bishop' was as much a political appointment in some areas as it was a religious one. All in all I don't think that 'death tallies' are a very useful tool for comparison due to the blurring of lines, and general disagreement regarding the nature of the various ideologies involved.

As for Nazism, Hitler was a ravenous revanchist (I couldn't resist), and his plan for the Third Reich was guided by his vision of a restoration of German glory. Seeing as the First Reich was the Holy Roman Empire, this meant that many Christian symbols were appropriated by Hitler. And while the Catholic Church did flirt with Nazism, it never committed to it as fully as it did to Mussolini's form of Fascism. I think that the rather insubstantial link ends there. Calling Nazism a Christian movement isn't just inaccurate, it's farcical.

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 12:21:31 AM
At 12/19/2014 11:11:09 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:02:13 AM

How is "statism" even a religion? Isn't it just a propaganda term thrown around carelessly by American libertarians who whine about their relatively low tax rate?
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:07:08 AM
At 12/17/2014 9:29:03 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:

That's nonsensical.

1) Atheism is not a religion, it is not even a belief system.
2) Hitler was dangerous because he was a Nazi, not because he was an atheist, there were plenty of Christian Nazis, half of the SS was made up by Catholics.
3) Stalin was dangerous because he was a megalomaniacal psychopath, who happened to be a "communist", not because he was an atheist.
4) How is Karl Marx dangerous, let alone evil?
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 1:22:47 PM
At 12/20/2014 12:21:31 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai

You came back at a very good time. DDO just got done with its elections, which were unpleasant to say the least.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:53:58 PM
At 12/20/2014 1:22:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai

You came back at a very good time. DDO just got done with its elections, which were unpleasant to say the least.

Why? What happened?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:57:10 PM
At 12/20/2014 5:53:58 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai

Why? What happened?

It was exhausting. For over a week pretty much all the discussions had to do with the election. Also, there was a lot of personal attacks and hostility.
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:00:17 PM

Democide is a good word to use when referring to death by government.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 7:33:32 PM

Although governments can and have done terrible atrocities, and I agree with the argument that the state, when it is large, threatens the lives of millions. But the number is likely exaggerated.

USSR democide numbers have decreased over time, as they were inflated to support opposition to the USSR. Instead of the 20-60 million which is the most used number for those killed in the USSR, more modern evidence says it was only about 1 million. And I say only in reference to the 20-60 million number, one million is still horribly high. And many of those deaths are through state incompetence (i.e. starvation), and not direct malice from the government. http://www.nybooks.com...

The hawaii edu has a number of about 33 million (add up pre WW2, WW2, and post WW2 stalin deaths). [https://www.hawaii.edu...] Therefore, 32 million should be removed from your count.

So 230 million died in the 20th century. Still a FVCK TON, but considerably less.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 9:41:46 PM
At 12/20/2014 5:57:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai

Why? What happened?

It was exhausting. For over a week pretty much all the discussions had to do with the election. Also, there was a lot of personal attacks and hostility.

Yay. I dislike bickering. And we all know who really controls DDO anyway.
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 9:54:35 PM
At 12/20/2014 9:41:46 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/20/2014 5:57:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

oh.

my.

god.

it's skep.

Hai

Why? What happened?

Yay. I dislike bickering. And we all know who really controls DDO anyway.

I can't say that I didn't involve myself in it, but I generally agree.