Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Obama to Normalize Relations with Cuba

wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 6:12:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com...

The speech begins:

"Today, the US is changing its relationship with the people of Cuba. In the most significant changes in our policy in more than 50 years, we will end an outdated approach that for decades has failed to advance our interests, and instead we will begin to normalize relations between our two countries..."

Thoughts?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 9:55:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/19/2014 6:12:39 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

The speech begins:

"Today, the US is changing its relationship with the people of Cuba. In the most significant changes in our policy in more than 50 years, we will end an outdated approach that for decades has failed to advance our interests, and instead we will begin to normalize relations between our two countries..."

Thoughts?

The U.S understands what Russia doesn't: Slow and Steady wins the race.

They understood in the 20th century, when they quietly built their navy up and aligned themselves with the World Power (Britian)

They understood domestically, when they progressively got more leftist, and then the Republicans reversed the trend and progressively started deregulating again.

They understand this about satellite nations/foreign relations as well.

Cuba, in time, will become Russia's Crimea, except it will be legitimized, require very little military force, and welcomed by the international community.

This is the power of international diplomacy.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
TryingToBeOpenMinded
Posts: 201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 2:05:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/19/2014 6:12:39 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

The speech begins:

"Today, the US is changing its relationship with the people of Cuba. In the most significant changes in our policy in more than 50 years, we will end an outdated approach that for decades has failed to advance our interests, and instead we will begin to normalize relations between our two countries..."

Thoughts?

It's a long time coming. I think it's a great idea and I hope that an end to embargoes and sanctions will be the next step.

I think it's patent that the policy of sanctions and embargoes have caused more damage than good. It's intent was to pressure the dictator to cave. But, all it did was starve the common people. The leadership only got stronger as the common people became too weak to protest. We saw people like Saddam only get stronger.

By increasing the wealth of the majority, it sets up a situation for democratic reform. Look at Vietnam and China. The sanctions only pissed them off. It was only when small reform made the poor wealthy did they start to realize that maybe free markets was a good thing.

And, hopefully, we take a similar stance with North Korea. Once, the common folk get stronger, they will be in a better position to challenge the regime.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:04:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/19/2014 6:12:39 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

The speech begins:

"Today, the US is changing its relationship with the people of Cuba. In the most significant changes in our policy in more than 50 years, we will end an outdated approach that for decades has failed to advance our interests, and instead we will begin to normalize relations between our two countries..."

Thoughts?

Ultimately it's beneficial for us. I think that the embargo guarantees a hostile state just off of our Southern coast, and that it's maintenance has mostly been guided by politics instead of genuinely calculated self-interest. However, I think that it's being revoked was also politically motivated, and that we could have exacted more in return if we had been willing to dangle the carrot. Obama has done this mostly for the benefit of his own political legacy, and it could have been done better if that were not the driving force behind the decision.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 4:36:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/19/2014 9:55:41 AM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Cuba, in time, will become Russia's Crimea, except it will be legitimized, require very little military force, and welcomed by the international community.

This is the power of international diplomacy.

At 12/19/2014 2:05:57 PM, TryingToBeOpenMinded wrote:

By increasing the wealth of the majority, it sets up a situation for democratic reform. Look at Vietnam and China. The sanctions only pissed them off.

At 12/19/2014 3:04:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Ultimately it's beneficial for us. I think that the embargo guarantees a hostile state just off of our Southern coast, and that it's maintenance has mostly been guided by politics instead of genuinely calculated self-interest.

Agree with all of this. I thought the comparison with the Crimea was particularly insightful, given that both the Ukraine situation and Cuba are cold war remnants. Although I don't think the US has any plans to annex Cuba, that the US is taking a much, much more palatable approach towards hegemony is indeed a big diplomatic win, IMHO.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?