Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The US should anex mexico.

Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 10:25:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Romans had no problem with illegal immigration or controlling there borders, they simply removed the border line.

why not do the same with Mexico, we annexed Texas. Its not like were not moving towards a more solid government with them anyway http://www.thefourthbranch.com... though I am not for switching to 'Ameros' as currency.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 10:35:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 10:25:07 AM, Marauder wrote:
The Romans had no problem with illegal immigration or controlling there borders, they simply removed the border line.


Oh dear me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 10:58:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 10:35:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/28/2010 10:25:07 AM, Marauder wrote:
The Romans had no problem with illegal immigration or controlling there borders, they simply removed the border line.


Oh dear me.

You do know what happened to the Romans, right?
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:12:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.

I understand. I was making a joke, dude.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:14:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.

Btw, I didn't say that the Romans did everything "wrong." They did many things that were positive.

However, they expanded their empire too much. They scattered their army instead of concentrating it. Their unrelenting want to expand ended up being a factor in their downfall.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:17:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 10:58:48 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/28/2010 10:35:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/28/2010 10:25:07 AM, Marauder wrote:
The Romans had no problem with illegal immigration or controlling there borders, they simply removed the border line.


Oh dear me.

You do know what happened to the Romans, right?

I don't think he does.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:18:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.

Adrianople.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:18:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Also, the Romans gave citizenship to all peoples belonging to the nations that they conquered. Thus, this grant allowed people with different sentiments about the Romans to travel to various places that constituted the Roman empire. You can kind of make a parallel. My question wasn't that absurd.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:19:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:14:31 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.

Btw, I didn't say that the Romans did everything "wrong." They did many things that were positive.

However, they expanded their empire too much. They scattered their army instead of concentrating it. Their unrelenting want to expand ended up being a factor in their downfall.

Actually if they had carried on expanding they may have lasted longer. Having too large an Empire or an overly scattered Empire did not bring the Empire down.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:23:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:14:31 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/28/2010 11:09:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
That is an absurd argument, SAC8. Every empire that has arisen has also fallen. Just because they were ultimately defeated does not mean that they did not do some things right.

Btw, I didn't say that the Romans did everything "wrong." They did many things that were positive.

That is implied when you say something like "you know what happened to the Romans, right?"

However, they expanded their empire too much. They scattered their army instead of concentrating it. Their unrelenting want to expand ended up being a factor in their downfall.

The Romans had already conquered almost all of their territory centuries before their decline.

Besides, I doubt that you could trace their decline to the annexation of willing territories (like Mexico would be in this case). The problems for Rome were "barbarians," and overextending their military in to subdue regions that were not willing participants. So you could use this argument in opposition to extending our already two-front "War on Terror" to Iran or elsewhere. But it does not apply vey well to annexing Mexico or creating a NAU.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:25:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:18:46 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Also, the Romans gave citizenship to all peoples belonging to the nations that they conquered. Thus, this grant allowed people with different sentiments about the Romans to travel to various places that constituted the Roman empire. You can kind of make a parallel. My question wasn't that absurd.

Yes it is. Unless you are now implying that it was citizenship for conquered peoples that contributed to the decline of the empire. :)
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:37:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

Simpler idea: get rid of Obama.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:38:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

10/10
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:42:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:37:29 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

Simpler idea: get rid of Obama.

Yeah... because that will really have an affect on Mexico at all... Vote Obama out of office and all of a sudden the drug cartels will stop peddling their wares and put away their guns. Vote Obama out of office and all of a sudden their businesses will grow and pay their working class a decent wage. Good call.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:48:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:42:52 AM, JBlake wrote:
At 5/28/2010 11:37:29 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

Simpler idea: get rid of Obama.

Yeah... because that will really have an affect on Mexico at all... Vote Obama out of office and all of a sudden the drug cartels will stop peddling their wares and put away their guns. Vote Obama out of office and all of a sudden their businesses will grow and pay their working class a decent wage. Good call.

I knew you'd have a mini freak out. Obviously, there was no correlation with Obama and the situation at hand. Lighten up a little bit.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 12:49:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

If an investment can, say, employ 10 Mexicans, at the cost of a border guard, then I say do it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 12:58:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

I know where you're going with this, and i agree to a large extent, but the corruption is so huge, so systemic, and such a part of their culture that i just don't know how it could turn around. Annexing Mexico would be a huge mistake. Who in God's name would want those problems that you can see every night on Spanish TV. Ask Panda why he wouldn't be so keen on taking the north down to a united Ireland.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 1:04:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 12:58:15 PM, innomen wrote
Ask Panda why he wouldn't be so keen on taking the north down to a united Ireland.

Simply put, the South couldn't financially sustain the North. Furthermore, sectarian violence would probably occur again. It would be a terrible situation.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 1:09:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 1:04:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/28/2010 12:58:15 PM, innomen wrote
Ask Panda why he wouldn't be so keen on taking the north down to a united Ireland.

Simply put, the South couldn't financially sustain the North. Furthermore, sectarian violence would probably occur again. It would be a terrible situation.

EXACTLY
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 1:55:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Decriminalizing drugs ain't gonna happen. Too many vested interests in keeping it outlawed.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 8:49:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 1:55:45 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Decriminalizing drugs ain't gonna happen. Too many vested interests in keeping it outlawed.

There is a huge amount of vested interest in pretty much everything that is bad for society. Obama made a small contribution this year by prying the monied hands off of our healthcare, but there is still a long ways to go.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 8:58:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The United States considered taking over Mexico when it took over Texas, but decided not to (I forgot why). The whole idea of property ownership and borders is offensive to me so I suppose I have nothing to add to the conversation, it seems pretty hypocritical to me to come in, establish borders, expand, establish more borders, divide Texas from Mexico and then make it illegal to travel from Mexico to Texas.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 8:58:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I suppose hypocritical wasn't the precise term I was looking for, but you know what I mean.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 9:00:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 8:49:28 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
There is a huge amount of vested interest in pretty much everything that is bad for society. Obama made a small contribution this year by prying the monied hands off of our healthcare, but there is still a long ways to go.

Don't get me wrong, I applauded Obama's initiative, but... when he heck did he manage to "pry off monied hands"?
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 11:24:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 8:49:28 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
At 5/28/2010 1:55:45 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Decriminalizing drugs ain't gonna happen. Too many vested interests in keeping it outlawed.

There is a huge amount of vested interest in pretty much everything that is bad for society. Obama made a small contribution this year by prying the monied hands off of our healthcare

........................................................................
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 4:45:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
No, Mexico is a sovereign state with its' own authority. A nation is stable as long as the power resides at the hands of center of an authority or is given to any number of entity within limit of power given by the Authority.

I just came back from studying Pol. Science so I am used to words like authority, sovereignty and state.

I never thought that Authority in Pol Science is greater than King or a President.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 11:08:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/29/2010 4:45:21 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
No, Mexico is a sovereign state with its' own authority. A nation is stable as long as the power resides at the hands of center of an authority or is given to any number of entity within limit of power given by the Authority.

I just came back from studying Pol. Science so I am used to words like authority, sovereignty and state.

I never thought that Authority in Pol Science is greater than King or a President.

God you are dim.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 2:02:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/28/2010 11:35:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It's in the United States' best interest to help Mexico along somehow. Some ideas include decriminalizing drugs (which would put an end to the huge gang wars which destroy entire cities, and also keep their government corrupt) and creating jobs across the border. Since so many jobs there are sustained by the illegal drug industry, decriminalizing drugs would put those people out of work. Some US businesses going over there for cheaper labor and taxes (and such) would give those people legal and less corrupt jobs, as well as money to spend i.e. improving and help rebuilding their economy. That way they wouldn't be so desperate to come to America. It would be beneficial for everyone. Mexico has a lot of potential but the key to rebuilding it is a better and more efficient government (and economy). I strongly believe that decriminalizing drugs is the first step, and that Americans starting businesses over there could help us in the long run too (lower prices for goods via competition).

That would help wouldn't it. But you see, the hold up with doing any such thing is people fighting the idea of 'outsourcing' the jobs in America to other countries. they say things like 'I don't like how all our jobs are going over seas' and they throw such a fit.
But..... what if we could rob them of any such argument against setting up businesses in Mexico? It wouldn't be outsourcing if Mexico and America were one and the same nation.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.