Jump to topic:

What issue do you care the most about?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:23:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Right now, not sure. Green energy is always high on my list. But right now I'm pretty bugged out at how politics is becoming more of a reality TV show. So probably the cleansing government and politics is my number one.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:46:00 PM
At 12/22/2014 6:17:13 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I care the most about healthcare. I believe that healthcare is a right.

Equal Rights
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:16:58 PM

The power which people wield and the political structures which restrain and guide that power. I see just about everything else as a distraction.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:12:15 AM
Is it wrong to be completely apathetic? I don't think I'm alone, though.

Here's the thing. Of course, I have opinions; ideas for how I think the world should be. We should be more liberal about some things, less liberal about others, etc. Like, I don't think nudity is as big a deal as people make it out to be. I think that the general view on drugs is outright hypocritical, for the most part. Good food is too rare. Pay for professions is skewed. People in general are way too uneducated about common things that dictate their lives and which, together, they could change if they had the sense to. Yes, I could probably write a manifesto of ideals.

But, the reality is that I don't really care about those things. If I did, why don't I do something about them? Why aren't I pursuing some job in policymaking, or in a field where my heart supposedly lies, like in environment conservation or emerging technology?

I'm not. My job enables me to get my hands on relevant, compelling issues, but not in any way that I can personally change them. More than anything else, I act to help myself and my immediate family, and what's why capitalism even works in the first place. I allow myself to be a cog in the larger machine for the benefit of my personal interests.

But, the greater issue is that "the way things are" is separated into two distinct categories -- things that can change, and which are preserved by the majority either consciously or by condoning, and things that cannot be changed, because they are not part of the human infrastructure.

Therefore, for the world to be "a better place," it merely requires that enough people change their minds. They often do, eventually, but they're slow on the uptake, and yelling at them to hurry up and do it already or pleading with the world at large usually doesn't change much. You just have to wait patiently for the world to mature on its own, understand the error of its ways, and express your opinions to help give people ideas. Some may catch. Who knows. But, even if they do, it's unlikely anything will change significantly in my lifetime.

So, in action, I just shrug, most of the time. As something of a hedonist, I consider life too short to be any other way.
TheEdpire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:38:50 AM
I am particularly against affirmative action; I think the idea of improving educational equality among underrepresented minorities is noble, but I think the current policies of affirmative action used in top universities fails to directly address the problem. Colleges have lower expectations for these underrepresented minorities whose incomes tend to lower on average. Yet, the ironic thing is that in striving to create educational equality we create an inequality of expectations; educational inequality seems almost like the white elephant in the room. Thus, we shouldn't be attacking the problem during the college application process. Rather, we should eliminate the fundamental causes of educational inequality, which are prevalent in K-12 education.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:05:20 PM
At 12/22/2014 8:23:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Right now, not sure. Green energy is always high on my list. But right now I'm pretty bugged out at how politics is becoming more of a reality TV show. So probably the cleansing government and politics is my number one.

Those are important issues.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:08:08 PM
At 12/22/2014 8:46:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Equal Rights

Awesome.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:22:58 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:16:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The power which people wield and the political structures which restrain and guide that power. I see just about everything else as a distraction.

I agree,
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:25:17 PM

The govt pissing away my childrens financial futures with it's endless massive deficit spending and unfunded entitlement programs, Like health care.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:28:17 PM
At 12/23/2014 1:12:15 AM, Such wrote:
Is it wrong to be completely apathetic? I don't think I'm alone, though.

Here's the thing. Of course, I have opinions; ideas for how I think the world should be. We should be more liberal about some things, less liberal about others, etc. Like, I don't think nudity is as big a deal as people make it out to be. I think that the general view on drugs is outright hypocritical, for the most part. Good food is too rare. Pay for professions is skewed. People in general are way too uneducated about common things that dictate their lives and which, together, they could change if they had the sense to. Yes, I could probably write a manifesto of ideals.

But, the reality is that I don't really care about those things. If I did, why don't I do something about them? Why aren't I pursuing some job in policymaking, or in a field where my heart supposedly lies, like in environment conservation or emerging technology?

I'm not. My job enables me to get my hands on relevant, compelling issues, but not in any way that I can personally change them. More than anything else, I act to help myself and my immediate family, and what's why capitalism even works in the first place. I allow myself to be a cog in the larger machine for the benefit of my personal interests.

But, the greater issue is that "the way things are" is separated into two distinct categories -- things that can change, and which are preserved by the majority either consciously or by condoning, and things that cannot be changed, because they are not part of the human infrastructure.

Therefore, for the world to be "a better place," it merely requires that enough people change their minds. They often do, eventually, but they're slow on the uptake, and yelling at them to hurry up and do it already or pleading with the world at large usually doesn't change much. You just have to wait patiently for the world to mature on its own, understand the error of its ways, and express your opinions to help give people ideas. Some may catch. Who knows. But, even if they do, it's unlikely anything will change significantly in my lifetime.

So, in action, I just shrug, most of the time. As something of a hedonist, I consider life too short to be any other way.

Awesome. You sound like a Libertarian. I am too.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:58:57 PM

Equality, healthcare and education.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 6:04:24 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:58:57 PM, Otokage wrote:

Equality, healthcare and education.

Nice choices.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 6:10:52 PM
Individual and equal rights and freedoms as spelled in the Bill of Rights.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 6:41:28 PM

Freedom.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:17:10 PM
At 12/23/2014 6:41:28 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Freedom.

Amen brother.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:51:09 PM
Public nudity. I'm willing to die for this right. And I'm not fvcking around.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 11:19:19 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:16:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Im with this guy.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 11:28:10 PM

You are one of the strangest libertarians I've ever seen.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 12:12:26 AM
The Superman vs. Batman controversy. The level of ignorance out there is astounding.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 6:13:25 AM
I duno. Politics is ridiculous.

This scene sums it all up for me, and I find myself hoping after Kubrick did - that we are in the hands of some greater intelligence: https://www.youtube.com...
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 6:38:28 PM
At 12/23/2014 11:28:10 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

No true Scotsman fallacy. Libertarians can believe in healthcare.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:18:16 PM
At 12/24/2014 6:38:28 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I think saying healthcare is a right is completely contradictory to libertarian philosophy.
Redspectre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 11:20:58 AM

Economy.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 1:28:57 PM
At 12/24/2014 7:18:16 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/24/2014 6:38:28 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

I think saying healthcare is a right is completely contradictory to libertarian philosophy.

You are wrong. Libertarians can believe in healthcare. You are using the no true Scotsman fallacy. You have Libertarians confused with anarchists. It is a common mistake. The Libertarian Party is actually minarchist in nature.