Statistical shenanigans

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2010 11:35:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.dailymail.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2010 11:46:15 AM
First off, "out-of-wedlock births" is now a factor in poverty? Since when? That's questionable credibility right there.

Secondly, I think he's screaming BS when he talks about government officials not taking into account the influx of immigrant poverty. All statistics that I've seen from the US on this subject take it into account. It's completely stupid to do so otherwise, 'political expediency' or not. Even the government realizes that.

Thirdly, he's right. That is a very funny thing to tie the poverty line to. I suppose you could make the case that poverty itself is fairly relative to the amount of average income that comes in (mostly because when people have greater average income, prices themselves tend to rise as well), but its not a very strong case at all.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2010 6:23:11 PM
At 6/2/2010 11:46:15 AM, Volkov wrote:
First off, "out-of-wedlock births" is now a factor in poverty? Since when?
Children are expensive. A divorce, however likely, is not as likely as a breakup without a binding contract. 1 income to support a child on is generally going to result in not having much money to spare.

Secondly, I think he's screaming BS when he talks about government officials not taking into account the influx of immigrant poverty. All statistics that I've seen from the US on this subject take it into account.
I haven't seen any that have.

glad ya agree on the main point though.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2010 6:25:46 PM
First off, "out-of-wedlock births" is now a factor in poverty? Since when? That's questionable credibility right there.

Which is one argument I could make for being against pre-marital sex. Yes! Don't want to be poor? Use protection if you must have sex.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2010 6:27:26 PM
At 6/2/2010 6:25:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Which is one argument I could make for being against pre-marital sex. Yes! Don't want to be poor? Use protection if you must have sex.
Abortions are massively cheaper than births (though protection is cheaper than that by the same massive factor, it's not failsafe).