Jump to topic:

Environmental Protection???

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:11:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Should the government be involved in Environmental Protection?

Who is for global warming and should the government be involved?

Define Environmental Protection?
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:30:31 PM
At 6/4/2010 8:11:48 PM, comoncents wrote:
Should the government be involved in Environmental Protection?

Right now the private sector is run on a for-profit basis. For-profit is fundamentally at odds with environmental preservation. The fix? Give the public sector the ability to regulate it. If you want a different fix, and believe me I do, then we are going to have to address the root of the problem instead of the band-aid. IOWs, instead of addressing the problem with the gov't (the band-aid) we should be addressing our for-profit, greed-based system.

Greed is said to be human nature. I would disagree; we are merely taught that it is and greed is nurtured throughout our development.

If this means "who believes in man-made GCC (global climate change)," then I would say that I believe the evidence for GCC outweighs the evidence against. Scientists overwhelmingly favor GCC theory. I would say that even if GCC is completely false in every way, the actions that we would take to address GCC are worth taking anyway.

Define Environmental Protection?

Environmental protection involves the policies, implementation, institutions, and business practices created at minimizing man's effects on the environment and restoring what we can to original conditions. For-profit reasoning is often employed to combat the fiscally conservative minded American populace, including resource recovery and minimizing healthcare system strain.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 10:46:07 PM

i don't think anyone wants global warming except maybe people in siberia :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 10:47:56 PM
I don't think you need to believe in global warming to believe in environmental protection. I strongly pro environment but I'm apathetic about global warming.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 2:54:36 AM
At 6/4/2010 10:46:07 PM, belle wrote:

i don't think anyone wants global warming except maybe people in siberia :P

Actually, there are supposed to be frozen bogs in Siberia, and when they thaw out, they're supposed to release a motherload of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. That would certainly be a clusterf*ck.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 3:10:37 AM
There's a weird Global Warming denial trend on DDO, so I doubt many people here would agree with governmental environment protection measures.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:26:23 AM
At 6/5/2010 3:10:37 AM, Kinesis wrote:
There's a weird Global Warming denial trend on DDO, so I doubt many people here would agree with governmental environment protection measures.

That's because the site is overrun with libertarians, Republicans and evangelical Christians - people not known to be very inclined towards science.

I personally believe climate change is real, but its debatable whether humans are causing it. Regardless though, humans have a clear impact on the environment which can be pretty negative. Having the government partner and work with agencies and private organizations which want to try and stem the tide of this destruction is far from something bad, because not only does it help protect the environment, but it can help provide more sustainable, safer, cleaner and healthier sources for our everyday needs. That's always a plus in my mind.

Even people who view government involvement as bad have to admit the appeal of cleaner energies, and how it can help provide a better life for us all. At leas those with sensibilities, anyways.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:26:43 AM

Depends what you define as global warming. Arguments against 'deniers' tend to strawman by being based on outright denial vs. what is the cause of a warming trend.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:35:20 AM
At 6/5/2010 5:26:43 AM, Puck wrote:

Depends what you define as global warming. Arguments against 'deniers' tend to strawman by being based on outright denial vs. what is the cause of a warming trend.

Yeah, but a lot of people here DO deny that any warming is taking place. At least, if the Big Issues is anything to go by.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:37:15 AM
At 6/5/2010 5:35:20 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Yeah, but a lot of people here DO deny that any warming is taking place. At least, if the Big Issues is anything to go by.

Meh, I wouldn't read into it too much. It's not specific about what it means and most people tend not to explain outside of Pro/Con. To be sure there are absolute deniers, they tend to be the minority however.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:41:57 AM
At 6/5/2010 5:37:15 AM, Puck wrote:
At 6/5/2010 5:35:20 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't read into it too much. It's not specific about what it means and most people tend not to explain outside of Pro/Con. To be sure there are absolute deniers, they tend to be the minority however.

Meh, I'll take your word for it. Perhaps people just take it to mean specifically 'mostly man induced global warming exists', where there is much more room for debate.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:09:34 AM
I think I will choose to believe the scientific community over businessmen, politicians, and DDO bloggers in the case of GCC.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:44:08 AM
At 6/5/2010 8:09:34 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I think I will choose to believe the scientific community over businessmen, politicians, and DDO bloggers in the case of GCC.

Yeah but it has to be called something else.
Global warming is a bad name for less o2 and more CO2 in the atmosphere. Less trees, etc etc