Jump to topic:

Cops

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 11:23:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
When I was younger, I always wanted to be a police officer. I thought that they protected people. "I want to be a police officer so I can help other people," I wrote in third grade.

You see, there were bullies at my school and I knew then that the best thing I could do in life is to stop the bullies from terrorizing others.

Soon enough, however, I realized that the police aren't there to protect people from bullies. No. Far from it, in fact. They ARE the bullies.

- Reasoning
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 12:58:05 PM
At 6/5/2010 11:24:33 AM, Mirza wrote:
We cannot generalize the police.

I must not belong in the "we" you speak of, then. Generalizing the cops is pretty easy for me...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 1:07:44 PM
At 6/5/2010 12:58:05 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

I must not belong in the "we" you speak of, then. Generalizing the cops is pretty easy for me...

I must not belong in the "we" you speak of, then. Generalizing moany, anarchistic teenagers is pretty easy for me...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 1:38:18 PM
At 6/5/2010 1:07:44 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/5/2010 12:58:05 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

I must not belong in the "we" you speak of, then. Generalizing moany, anarchistic teenagers is pretty easy for me...

Oh come on, generalizing in general is easy.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 1:47:02 PM
stupid video. how else would you fight crime if not with force? have the cops look disappointedly at the criminal? and to the part about drugs: the cops don't make the law, they just enforce it.
signature
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 3:01:01 PM
"...they just enforce them." exactly. police do not "serve and protect;" they arrest people who break the law. at least that's what they are supposed to do. sercing and protecting is BS
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:09:18 PM
http://scrapetv.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 6:01:48 PM
At 6/5/2010 5:09:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Fun Fact : You are almost three time as likely to be sexually assaulted by a police officer than by the average person you pass on the street.[1]

[1] http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 6:06:01 PM
At 6/5/2010 6:01:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 6/5/2010 5:09:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Fun Fact : You are almost three time as likely to be sexually assaulted by a police officer than by the average person you pass on the street.[1]

[1] http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com...
But there are a lot more people on the street.

And how likely is a rapist to be attacked in a manner capable of deterring other rapists by a police officers as opposed to the average person on the street?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 6:28:21 PM
At 6/5/2010 3:01:01 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
"...they just enforce them." exactly. police do not "serve and protect;" they arrest people who break the law. at least that's what they are supposed to do. sercing and protecting is BS

lol it's not BS, it's just a euphemism. They are serving and protecting by arresting people that society deems undesirable.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 6:44:41 PM
At 6/5/2010 6:28:21 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 6/5/2010 3:01:01 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

lol it's not BS, it's just a euphemism. They are serving and protecting by arresting people that society deems undesirable.

Your disagreeing with me by agreeing with me. Euphemismistic language=bullsh11.

By assuming a role that they don't play, they are purporting to be something they are not. If I told someone I hate that I am planning on killing them, explain to me how the police are going to protect them. I could go on Fox news tonight and proclaim it, and the police would not be able to stop me from carrying out the act (with relatively little effort for secrecy on my part).

This is crucial because it instills the notion that we are not safe without the police to people at an early age. I have to go with the pro-gun-rights crowd on this one; a gun can protect you. A cop can't. The instances in which they can are far out-weighed by the instances in which they can do damage to you, and I can personally say that I have had my well-being put in jeopardy far more by police forces than I have been protected by them, on balance.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 6:48:55 PM
At 6/5/2010 6:44:41 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I could go on Fox news tonight and proclaim it, and the police would not be able to stop me from carrying out the act (with relatively little effort for secrecy on my part).

Actually they probably could stop you, with a fair amount of ease, if you were so bold (and stupid) to do something like that. Announcing your intentions on national TV to kill someone = reasonable grounds for arrest.

This is crucial because it instills the notion that we are not safe without the police to people at an early age. I have to go with the pro-gun-rights crowd on this one; a gun can protect you. A cop can't. The instances in which they can are far out-weighed by the instances in which they can do damage to you, and I can personally say that I have had my well-being put in jeopardy far more by police forces than I have been protected by them, on balance.

Woe is you, Rob, woe is you. Let's just get rid of the police then, shall we? After all, apparently they can't do anything and fulfill no other role but to be evil fascists towards you.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 7:44:45 AM
At 6/5/2010 6:48:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/5/2010 6:44:41 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I could go on Fox news tonight and proclaim it, and the police would not be able to stop me from carrying out the act (with relatively little effort for secrecy on my part).

Actually they probably could stop you, with a fair amount of ease, if you were so bold (and stupid) to do something like that. Announcing your intentions on national TV to kill someone = reasonable grounds for arrest.

Arrest me? And how long are they going to arrest me based on the crimes I have committed? Come on Volkov, where are you hoping to take this line of reasoning?

Woe is you, Rob, woe is you. Let's just get rid of the police then, shall we? After all, apparently they can't do anything and fulfill no other role but to be evil fascists towards you.

Crime is a product of our profit-driven economic system; fix the root of the problem and crime becomes too insignificant to even justify a police force. The minute % of people who are actually psychopaths, sociopaths, and sexual deviants can be weeded out the old-fashioned way; again, police can not protect you from these people anyway; they can only arrest them after they have committed their heinous acts. It's probably better to deal with them at the end of a gun than it is with our absolutely sick penal system, which produces more pain and suffering than any sociopathic killer could ever do.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 7:50:05 AM
At 6/6/2010 7:44:45 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Arrest me? And how long are they going to arrest me based on the crimes I have committed? Come on Volkov, where are you hoping to take this line of reasoning?

If you present a reasonable risk to people, they can hold you basically as long as they want.

Crime is a product of our profit-driven economic system; fix the root of the problem and crime becomes too insignificant to even justify a police force. The minute % of people who are actually psychopaths, sociopaths, and sexual deviants can be weeded out the old-fashioned way; again, police can not protect you from these people anyway; they can only arrest them after they have committed their heinous acts. It's probably better to deal with them at the end of a gun than it is with our absolutely sick penal system, which produces more pain and suffering than any sociopathic killer could ever do.

This is the biggest load of bullsh*t you've ever said, and I won't even dignify it with a response. Just rofl.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 7:58:39 AM
At 6/6/2010 7:50:05 AM, Volkov wrote:

If you present a reasonable risk to people, they can hold you basically as long as they want.

There has only recently been a development of this kind in the US, and it involves convicted killers being held in prison past their sentencing dates when they are clearly going to kill again. I've never heard of someone being held in jail indefinitely for making a threat, and even if they did, the person could just acquiesce and say they aren't going to do it and turn right around and find the person. This is not a system designed for protection. You are not safe right now, Volkov, because the police are out there scouring the streets like ants picking up the people that want to hurt you. You have only been conditioned to think that way.

This is the biggest load of bullsh*t you've ever said, and I won't even dignify it with a response. Just rofl.

Wake up, Volkov. Wake up.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 8:41:47 AM
At 6/6/2010 7:50:05 AM, Volkov wrote:

And if you STFU like your lawyer tells you to.... you wont spend more than a night in jail.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 1:14:58 PM
"Make no mistakes: Police are little more than a legitimate street gang authorized to do the bidding of the ruling class. In Portland this takes the form of harassing the homeless, racial minorities, leftists and anyone else creating an "unfriendly business climate." The question is not one of a few bad apples, but of the role of the police. Compare the role of police in protecting Tea Party members or Klansmen as compared to policing an anti-war protest or, even worse, striking workers. Police are not our guardians, but our warders, serving those who oppress and exploit us, regardless of their own personal motivations, feelings or subjective personal strengths."[1]

Also, see the video. #!

[1] http://redstartimes.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 1:16:51 PM
At 6/13/2010 1:14:58 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"Make no mistakes: Police are little more than a legitimate street gang authorized to do the bidding of the ruling class. In Portland this takes the form of harassing the homeless, racial minorities, leftists and anyone else creating an "unfriendly business climate."
In Portland almost everyone around is "leftist" n00b.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 1:22:19 PM
http://www.crimethinc.com...

close up:
http://cdn.buzznet.com...