Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Is DD0 biased towards America?

UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,682
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,682
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 6:28:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/25/2014 8:21:16 PM, Mirza wrote:
Your observation is correct. I raised this issue earlier: https://www.debate.org...

I guess given you argument and my previous observation that it would be sound to conclude that DDO has a bias but then the question arises on what should be done about it.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:40:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!i! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:45:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?

You can't really blame us though. Most DDO users are American, we are most familiar with American issues, so we talk about what we are familiar with.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,682
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:56:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 7:45:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?

You can't really blame us though. Most DDO users are American, we are most familiar with American issues, so we talk about what we are familiar with.

The problem with that is that if you check the DDO demographic page (I showed the link above) it shows that only about 13 percent of the website is American. When you go on the DDO homepage the statement from the admins will say "Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls." The admins mention that the website is supposed to be international however the observation I gave previously shows the potential of otherwise being the case.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:04:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 7:56:56 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:45:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?

You can't really blame us though. Most DDO users are American, we are most familiar with American issues, so we talk about what we are familiar with.

The problem with that is that if you check the DDO demographic page (I showed the link above) it shows that only about 13 percent of the website is American.

The 80% other has me question if this stat is based on reported nationality. So it could be possible that many Americans are not saying their nationality. Also I wonder about active user %s.

When you go on the DDO homepage the statement from the admins will say "Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls." The admins mention that the website is supposed to be international however the observation I gave previously shows the potential of otherwise being the case.

Sure there may be an American bias. But there is most defiantly and English language bias which can't be helped.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,682
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:08:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 8:04:27 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:56:56 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:45:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?

You can't really blame us though. Most DDO users are American, we are most familiar with American issues, so we talk about what we are familiar with.

The problem with that is that if you check the DDO demographic page (I showed the link above) it shows that only about 13 percent of the website is American.

The 80% other has me question if this stat is based on reported nationality. So it could be possible that many Americans are not saying their nationality. Also I wonder about active user %s.

When you go on the DDO homepage the statement from the admins will say "Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls." The admins mention that the website is supposed to be international however the observation I gave previously shows the potential of otherwise being the case.

Sure there may be an American bias. But there is most defiantly and English language bias which can't be helped.

However the English language bias cant be changed because the language of the website is in English if DDO was released in Russian then there would be a Russian language bias however the American bias can be changed because there are many many other English speaking countries.

Also in regards to the 80% of unreported nationalities it would seem a bit of a bold jump to say that most of that 80% is American as there is no way of proving that or otherwise.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:23:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 8:08:11 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 12/26/2014 8:04:27 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:56:56 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:45:18 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/25/2014 8:17:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
(This isn't exactly a claim but more of a question I hope breeds discussion)

I seem to notice a lot of the politcal issues and the questions discussed in DDO are usually American-based.

One piece of evidence towards this potiental bias is that when you go on "edit my profile" and then were to go on "politics" on the next page it would give you a choice presidential canidates or parties. The intresting thing is that all of the politcal parties' given as choices are of American origin (Intresting enough I learned there is an American Nazi Party). So to many non-Americans on DDO it meant that they would be left putting the space blank (same can be said of presidiental canidates). This could have the inadvertent side effect of making it seem as though people are politically apathetic even though its only because they couldn't select their party on that screen.

Now the first thought that came into my mind when I thought of this was "Oh it's probably just because Americans make the majority or at least a third of this website" but the odd thing is if you were to check DDO's demographics page ( http://www.debate.org...) You'll find that officially, Americans only make up about 13% of the website.

Another potential piece of proof in this is the "Big Issues" Sections. Once more this section is created and run by the admins of this site. All of the issues they present are issues (though are not exclusive) in the U.S with the exception of when they ask for your opinion on the European Union.

Also another intresting point is that a lot of the Opinion questions, Political polls and forum posts on DDO are meant to address American issues mostly. So that raises the question: Is DDO pandering to the American demographic on DDO? Or am I just overthinking everything?

You can't really blame us though. Most DDO users are American, we are most familiar with American issues, so we talk about what we are familiar with.

The problem with that is that if you check the DDO demographic page (I showed the link above) it shows that only about 13 percent of the website is American.

The 80% other has me question if this stat is based on reported nationality. So it could be possible that many Americans are not saying their nationality. Also I wonder about active user %s.

When you go on the DDO homepage the statement from the admins will say "Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls." The admins mention that the website is supposed to be international however the observation I gave previously shows the potential of otherwise being the case.

Sure there may be an American bias. But there is most defiantly and English language bias which can't be helped.

However the English language bias cant be changed because the language of the website is in English if DDO was released in Russian then there would be a Russian language bias however the American bias can be changed because there are many many other English speaking countries.

Perhaps cultural similarities among the english speaking countries makes the US centricity less of an issue compared to non english speaking countries. But anyways, you're not being barred from discussing non american issues.

Also in regards to the 80% of unreported nationalities it would seem a bit of a bold jump to say that most of that 80% is American as there is no way of proving that or otherwise.

Well because it can't be proven either way then demographics in general is a mute point.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:07:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 6:28:03 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I guess given you argument and my previous observation that it would be sound to conclude that DDO has a bias but then the question arises on what should be done about it.
I shared my ideas in that thread. Everything exclusive to American politics should be removed, if, in fact, we desire the site to be more international. Keep in mind, however, that most people would nevertheless abstain from English-speaking sites, because they have sites from their own nations on which they can discuss and argue. I still think, though, that it is odd for a site advertising itself as international to continue having a design that targets only one nation.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:10:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 8:23:49 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Perhaps cultural similarities among the english speaking countries makes the US centricity less of an issue compared to non english speaking countries. But anyways, you're not being barred from discussing non american issues.
One can discuss other issues, but the majority of members being Americans, and that being particularly because the site seems to isolate other nationalities, means that other topics are almost always left behind.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:13:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 8:56:51 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
somebody sounds jealous
To point out an obvious flaw on the site isn't a matter of being jealous. Particularly not when the subject in question has no qualms with Americans. The site represents itself as international, but has a design that clearly makes other nationalities feel excluded. If the site does aim to be American only, that's fine. It doesn't seem to be doing that.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:13:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:10:24 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/26/2014 8:23:49 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Perhaps cultural similarities among the english speaking countries makes the US centricity less of an issue compared to non english speaking countries. But anyways, you're not being barred from discussing non american issues.
One can discuss other issues, but the majority of members being Americans, and that being particularly because the site seems to isolate other nationalities, means that other topics are almost always left behind.

Well what can you expect if most on DDO are Americans? We talk about what we're familiar with.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:15:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:13:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Well what can you expect if most on DDO are Americans? We talk about what we're familiar with.
I am not expecting anything from the American users. I ask for the site to be changed if its owners desire a larger international pool of members. I personally don't care much for this, since I am unlikely to stay here for long; I do, however, wish to express my feelings on a flaw in the design of the site.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:17:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:15:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:13:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Well what can you expect if most on DDO are Americans? We talk about what we're familiar with.
I am not expecting anything from the American users. I ask for the site to be changed if its owners desire a larger international pool of members. I personally don't care much for this, since I am unlikely to stay here for long; I do, however, wish to express my feelings on a flaw in the design of the site.

Eh, I think your desire is a bit unrealistic. Being an english speaking website the majority of people are excluded automatically.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:22:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:17:02 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Eh, I think your desire is a bit unrealistic. Being an english speaking website the majority of people are excluded automatically.
You misunderstand. What I am proposing is a minor change in site design, such as the Big Issues and other profile options, which, currently, are almost exclusively American in nature. I, and others as well, have noticed this; and, being non-American, we feel a certain form of exclusion. Other members very likely feel/have felt the same, and have abstained from the site, simply because they, from the very beginning, realized that they are supposed to understand and discuss American issues. I may care very few of them, but not planning on either living in your country, or in any way being affected by most of the issues, leads me to not caring about them. What you are saying, however, is that the majority will nevertheless always be Americans or other English-speaking nationalities, which I have nothing against. I have something against the very basic design making others feel excluded on what is supposed to be an international debating site. If changes are made, and the demographics remain the same, then I care not. That's a different issue to tackle.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:28:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I shall paint a picture: Suppose the site was named "american-issues.org," and clarified that it targets people willing to discuss American issues. If that were the case, I would not ask for it to be changed in any way. This site, however, is different, in that it aims for a rather more international group of members. To reach this goal, it helps not that the first thing you stumble upon are issues you often have never heard of, nor care about, nor have to hear or care about, which, to your surprise, reveal themselves to be American. I hope I made it clear. This is not me, or anyone else, taking issue with a site being American whatsoever. Rather, it is the fact that core design is American, but the site portrays itself as international.

To be more clear: this has nothing to do with being against Americans or your country; to suggest that one has negative feelings toward either by pointing out a flaw in the site is ridiculous.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:06:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:28:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
I shall paint a picture: Suppose the site was named "american-issues.org," and clarified that it targets people willing to discuss American issues. If that were the case, I would not ask for it to be changed in any way. This site, however, is different, in that it aims for a rather more international group of members. To reach this goal, it helps not that the first thing you stumble upon are issues you often have never heard of, nor care about, nor have to hear or care about, which, to your surprise, reveal themselves to be American. I hope I made it clear. This is not me, or anyone else, taking issue with a site being American whatsoever. Rather, it is the fact that core design is American, but the site portrays itself as international.

To be more clear: this has nothing to do with being against Americans or your country; to suggest that one has negative feelings toward either by pointing out a flaw in the site is ridiculous.

The name of the site, is however 'Debate.org'. The opinion and polls sections, and the forum section are all user driven. The debates are user created. If you feel something is under represented, start representing it. Create forum posts and polls. If the population is just 13% American, there should be a lot of people that jump in on other 'big' issues.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:18:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 1:06:09 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
The name of the site, is however 'Debate.org'.
What's your point?

The opinion and polls sections, and the forum section are all user driven. The debates are user created. If you feel something is under represented, start representing it. Create forum posts and polls. If the population is just 13% American, there should be a lot of people that jump in on other 'big' issues.
I believe the number is higher. Even if not, Americans are the most active. If there are a plethora of users from many other countries, then this is, I believe, due to many being temporarily used accounts. Nevertheless - members are repelled by the many US-centric options, not only in Big Issues. I am not the only non-American who is saying this, which only favours my analysis. As for your suggestion, it doesn't work; at least, not in the forums.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:27:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 1:18:45 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/27/2014 1:06:09 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
The name of the site, is however 'Debate.org'.
What's your point?

Its a reply to "Suppose the site was named "american-issues.org,". It would then make me wonder about the Iran Iraq war issue, the EU issues, Globalization issues, abortion issues, Immigration issues, numerous religious issues, economic issues, etc.

The opinion and polls sections, and the forum section are all user driven. The debates are user created. If you feel something is under represented, start representing it. Create forum posts and polls. If the population is just 13% American, there should be a lot of people that jump in on other 'big' issues.

I believe the number is higher. Even if not, Americans are the most active. If there are a plethora of users from many other countries, then this is, I believe, due to many being temporarily used accounts. Nevertheless - members are repelled by the many US-centric options, not only in Big Issues. I am not the only non-American who is saying this, which only favours my analysis. As for your suggestion, it doesn't work; at least, not in the forums.

So then you are suggesting a variety of affirmative action in which to make non US issues a mainstay, even though they won't readily have the population as other prevalent issues, or have as active a member base.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 2:21:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 1:27:03 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Its a reply to "Suppose the site was named "american-issues.org,". It would then make me wonder about the Iran Iraq war issue, the EU issues, Globalization issues, abortion issues, Immigration issues, numerous religious issues, economic issues, etc.
When they are found among issues like Border Fence, Barack Obama, Occupy Movement, etc., it seems to be the case that even neutral topics should be discussed through an American perspective. That is the perception.

So then you are suggesting a variety of affirmative action in which to make non US issues a mainstay, even though they won't readily have the population as other prevalent issues, or have as active a member base.
That matters not. If the changes I propose are made, it would include optional Big Issues, which means that everyone would be able to display only the issues they are interested in.