Should doctor assisted suicide be legal

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 4:44:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/28/2014 4:24:52 PM, FriarHavok wrote:
Many people feel like euthanasia should be legal in America, i can go both ways on this topic.

As there are things that can be learned only from caring for those in that type of condition. . . . My vote is no.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 8:35:43 AM
Many people feel like euthanasia should be legal in America, i can go both ways on this topic.

Of course it should be legal. The state should have no right in determining my religion and it should have no right in determining when to end my life.

Like many areas it is very grey. We already have a right to euthanasia by eliminating the use of medical equipment that is use to keep us a live.

Many would differentiate that it is different because the body is unable to sustain itself without that equipment therefore it is more natural, but that is a very simplistic way of looking at it.

Pulling a respirator from someone whose lungs are not fit for functioning (often you don't really know until you pull it) is not that different from euthanize someone who's brain has a tumor which clearly is not going to allow functioning of the body in a few months. (the main argument against it is from a religious view point. God may choose to heal you, but that view point should remain in the church not in government)

There is a lot of baggage that comes with euthanize people and that baggage will often be used as an argument against allowing it, but guardrails and regulation can be placed around it so it is not misused, abuse, or a legal method for evil parents to murder their kids.

Like many things this is one that is mainly rooted in religious belief and it is a clear example of how Christianity is responsible for restricting personal freedom in this country because of its religious belief.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 8:40:03 AM
At 12/28/2014 4:44:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

As there are things that can be learned only from caring for those in that type of condition. . . . My vote is no.

Why do you think those things will not be learned should there be euthanasia? When one is forced to look at ones mortality due to a terminal illness do you really not get the FULL experience should you take your life 3 months prior to your illness? wtf?

That is one of the most absurd things I have heard. I assume you mean something else.