Abolishing age of consent laws

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:21:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/1/2015 6:06:33 PM, paigeb wrote:
Are age of consent laws for sexual activity necessary? What would happen if we abolished them?

A bunch of minors making more life long mistakes than they already make.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:28:44 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:26:00 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You can legally get a blowjob off a 15 year old in Ireland.
I'm just throwing that out there.

Why should we think that a 15 year old is better at BJs than a 35 year old? Or a 75 year old with no teeth?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:33:27 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:28:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Why should we think that a 15 year old is better at BJs than a 35 year old? Or a 75 year old with no teeth?

I know. Is your dick as sensitive to teeth as mine?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:35:11 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:33:27 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I would presume all are.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:37:37 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:35:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I would presume all are.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't mostly psychological. It seems inordinately painful. What's your missus like for blowjobs?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:40:19 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:37:37 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I would presume all are.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't mostly psychological.

Sounds like a scientific study is in order.

It seems inordinately painful. What's your missus like for blowjobs?

http://miltonbc.com...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:44:28 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:40:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/1/2015 6:37:37 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I would presume all are.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't mostly psychological.

Sounds like a scientific study is in order.

You know, it'd be kinda like how you can't really give yourself that pain by slapping yourself in the balls, or how you can't tickle yourself. I dunno how you'd test it really.

It seems inordinately painful. What's your missus like for blowjobs?

http://miltonbc.com...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:48:30 PM
Are age of consent laws for sexual activity necessary? What would happen if we abolished them?

Personally I believe we should abolish all age requirements. They are arbitrary, and too narrow. Age has nothing to do with maturity. I've seen teenagers more mature than adults, but the immature adults are able to buy video games, spray paint, hunting knives, cough medicine, and other controlled substances, while the more mature teenagers cannot.
To add to how arbitrary the laws are, each state has their own age of consent; in some states the age of consent is 18, while in other states it is as low as 14. Some states have a higher age of consent for girls, despite the fact girls mature at a younger age. Some states also have different ages of consent depending on sexuality.
Most states also have statutes defining sex between two consenting adults as rape, if one of those adults holds a position of authority over another. For example, if an office executive sleeps with their secretary, while off the clock and within the privacy of their own home, the office executive can be charged with statutory rape (Yes, Bill Clinton was a statutory rapist). My state goes even further, with statutes defining sex between two consenting adults as rape if one of those adults is proven mentally or socially incompetent. So if someone has a low IQ, an emotional disorder like Bipolar, or a social disorder like Autism, their partner could be charged with rape; all it takes is a disgruntled family member to report them.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:03:23 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:48:30 PM, DanT wrote:

Personally I believe we should abolish all age requirements. They are arbitrary, and too narrow. Age has nothing to do with maturity. I've seen teenagers more mature than adults, but the immature adults are able to buy video games, spray paint, hunting knives, cough medicine, and other controlled substances, while the more mature teenagers cannot.
To add to how arbitrary the laws are, each state has their own age of consent; in some states the age of consent is 18, while in other states it is as low as 14. Some states have a higher age of consent for girls, despite the fact girls mature at a younger age. Some states also have different ages of consent depending on sexuality.
Most states also have statutes defining sex between two consenting adults as rape, if one of those adults holds a position of authority over another. For example, if an office executive sleeps with their secretary, while off the clock and within the privacy of their own home, the office executive can be charged with statutory rape (Yes, Bill Clinton was a statutory rapist). My state goes even further, with statutes defining sex between two consenting adults as rape if one of those adults is proven mentally or socially incompetent. So if someone has a low IQ, an emotional disorder like Bipolar, or a social disorder like Autism, their partner could be charged with rape; all it takes is a disgruntled family member to report them.

omg it's you. Are you still into defining stuff a lot?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:10:50 PM

Age has nothing to do with maturity.

Nothing to do with it? That's obviously false.
paigeb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 8:02:03 PM

Now I have a question for you. Aren't these age of consent laws in place to protect minors, not just because of obvious differences with brain development and rational decision making, but also social differences? For example, we have all this legislation and even different court systems for minors. I understand how you think all age of consent laws should be abolished, but if we were to just focus on this alone, wouldn't this upset the current system we have today?
Paige
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 10:54:54 PM

My name is Chris Hansen, I am going to ask you to take a seat over here and talk with us for a moment....
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 9:00:10 AM
At 1/1/2015 10:54:54 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

My name is Chris Hansen, I am going to ask you to take a seat over here and talk with us for a moment....

lol
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 9:07:21 AM

As to the issue of whether adolescents under the age of 16 can formulate the intent and willingness to engage in certain sexual activities, the answer is probably yes although the scientific literature on young adolescent sexuality is very limited for political reasons... well... mostly for political reasons.

As to the issue of whether age of consent laws are necessary, the answer is yes but for reasons that have nothing to do with whether adolescents under the age of 16 can actually formulate intent. The reason is because as a society we have decided that sexual contact between, say, a 15 year old and a 30 year old is unacceptable.

While the age of consent (whether it's 14, 16, 17, 18 or something else) is pretty arbitrary, they are designed to protect people below that age (whatever it is) from sexual exploitation by adults. This is probably a worthwhile societal goal... at least in some cases.

That said... I was 13 when I lost my virginity...
Tsar of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 7:47:15 PM
At 1/1/2015 7:03:23 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

omg it's you. Are you still into defining stuff a lot?

I was never "into defining stuff a lot", I just don't like when people misuse words, because it creates ambiguity.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 7:58:40 PM
At 1/1/2015 8:02:03 PM, paigeb wrote:

Now I have a question for you. Aren't these age of consent laws in place to protect minors, not just because of obvious differences with brain development and rational decision making, but also social differences? For example, we have all this legislation and even different court systems for minors. I understand how you think all age of consent laws should be abolished, but if we were to just focus on this alone, wouldn't this upset the current system we have today?

Social differences really have nothing to do with age of consent laws, other than the adult community's perception of who should not have sex. In which case it is less of a protection and more of a prohibition. The role of age of consent laws is to prevent adults from taking advantage of a child's incompetency. In contract law there is something called "competency" whereby someone who is incapable of understanding the contract cannot be bound to the contract. If sexual consent is viewed as a verbal contract, the application of legal competency to sexual relations would be far more efficient than age of consent laws.
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:34:05 PM

The age of consent in Spain is 13
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:34:22 PM
At 1/4/2015 12:34:05 PM, SebUK wrote:

The age of consent in Spain is 13

I know, lol.