welfare cap increased

Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 5:41:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/8/2015 4:24:02 PM, paigeb wrote:
Should people be able to stay on welfare for longer time periods? Why or why not?

If you have ever had to really work for a living you know what a blessing it is when those who shouldn't work for a living don't work for a living. It is a great efficiency to have some people out of the scene. And as far as sending mothers to work so they can pay their bills, this only means children resentful and immoral who we will pay to put in prison some day. Children cannot be abandoned and this is simply what happens. It does not mean it does not happen for drugs or other crimes. Children are way too demanding, but at least their demands are not those of a boss trying to keep himself in profit.

The demands of children are honest demands. And it is in the hope of helping children that we have welfare. I would not suggest denying the cost, but of adding to it. People ought to have a case worker, and that relationship should be real. If people lack parenting skills or even cooking and cleaning skills, the case worker should help them. Rarely, people too stupid to be working are also too stupid to make decent parents, and then, others should be encourage financially to take on some of the burden. Raising children should be a two person job. It is difficult, and demands respect and deserves assistance. It is a false morality that forces fathers from their families, and it is also a false economy. The family is broke. Maybe the people in the family are dysfunctional. That just means more the effort to fix the whole family as a unit. There is no easy and cheap. We are dealing with the problems created by easy and cheap in the past.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 5:51:49 PM
Raising children is too difficult a job to be left in the hands of parents who may have been mis-raise themselves. Children having children is a sure sign of an out of control family, and this need for love resulting in a pregnancy is evidence of abuse. Why should children feel so unloved in their own homes? How are these loveless children ever going to make good parents short of an intervention by caring and supportive people even if for those people it is a job? It is not the sort of job I would want, but in retrospect I was a terrible parent who needed an intervention or two myself. It is a shame to find becoming a grandparent is necessary to understand what it is to be a good parent. No one should ever be allowed to be a parent before age 60.
Josh_debate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:22:35 PM
Should people be able to stay on welfare for longer time periods? Why or why not?

Welfare should either be completely abolished or at least reduced big.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:55:33 PM
first consider this, only in the U.S. are the poor obese.
Welfare is a hand out, not a hand up, it is meant to keep people dependant on the government that's why people can't afford to work for minimum wage.
the whole system needs a huge reform/overhaul
To your question, there is no answer. Some people who are on it, should have never been, some people need and should be on it, and in some cases, forever. Again it's not a system designed to help people but rather control them. For example if you work, get a loan to start a business your benefits are cut or you may not get any at all. It's the "all or nothing" aspect of anything that makes it controlling rather than helping.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:31:43 PM

What are the current limitations?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:42:17 PM
At 1/14/2015 2:31:43 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

What are the current limitations?

Probably the ability to breathe American air.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:54:05 AM

On my caseload were fifth generation welfare people.
I am talking about each generation receiving half or more of their living needs met by welfare, maybe some child support, but not their own efforts. Cradle to grave - three, four, even five generations. Much easier to document that with digital records going back 15 years. It is in the narration.
'Miss Y pregnant and applying for cash assistance.'
(15 years later) 'Daughter of Miss Y pregnant and applying for cash assistance, currently on her mother's grant.'

The only program with theoretical time limits is TANF - 5% of the total welfare benefits budget. Half of those have no adult member, so no time limits, no work requirements. The adult custodian/caretaker is an aunt, grandmother, or a mentally disabled SSI mother, but none of them are on he grant.

I say theoretical because as a matter of practice the vast majority of TANF parents who are on the grant, never do get aged off, never reach the time limits.
if anyone wants to challenge me on this, I need to know what state to consider, since TANF is a block grant program, states have a lot of freedom. I have researched many individual states, and can find the loopholes.

So 99% of all welfare payments have no cap.
I got my first welfare caseload in 1977, worked in two states, with a break between.