Like:
- The last period.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 5:47:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Didn't watch it; read transcript; probably would've been more powerful and persuasive if I had watched it.

It's a nice speech, though. It does look like it would connect and voice the concerns of quite a few people. But, that is what these speeches are designed to do. Whether or not anything comes of it is a completely different story...
ravenwaen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 5:07:35 AM
At 6/15/2010 5:47:25 PM, Volkov wrote:
Didn't watch it; read transcript; probably would've been more powerful and persuasive if I had watched it.

It wasn't. I watched the whole thing live and I was shocked at how halfhearted it was.

'Lame' is a decent one-word summary of the speech. Things will get better, the federal gov't is in charge, BP will pay, we'll figure out what went wrong, I care about people who were affected.

Does he really think he doesn't even have the political capital to go beyond insincere optimism?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 5:31:21 AM
At 6/15/2010 5:46:44 PM, Nags wrote:

Don't like:
- "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling."
- Investing in green energy nonsense.

By all means invest in green energy, but to restrict the flow of oil before alternatives have been found, during a period of economic weakness, following a major oil leak... how stupid can you get?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
ravenwaen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 5:36:32 AM
At 6/16/2010 5:31:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
By all means invest in green energy, but to restrict the flow of oil before alternatives have been found, during a period of economic weakness, following a major oil leak... how stupid can you get?

The oil we will obtain from offshore drilling is a drop in the bucket. The cost (in money, human welfare, and to the environment) of another spill is not worth the savings of 3 cents to the dollar in the next ten years.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 5:43:47 AM
At 6/16/2010 5:36:32 AM, ravenwaen wrote:

The oil we will obtain from offshore drilling is a drop in the bucket. The cost (in money, human welfare, and to the environment) of another spill is not worth the savings of 3 cents to the dollar in the next ten years.

How often have major oil spills occured as the result of offshore drilling? It's relatively low risk isn't it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
ravenwaen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 6:26:13 AM
At 6/16/2010 5:43:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
How often have major oil spills occured as the result of offshore drilling? It's relatively low risk isn't it?

Not really, no.

It's an incomplete list, but this will cover the big ones: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Drilling in places like the Gulf of Mexico is particularly dangerous because hurricanes can destroy platforms and cause spills, which is exactly what happened with Katrina and Rita.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 9:31:17 AM

Agreed, other than the government investing in X-whatever.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 10:31:10 AM
I agree with Nags that the religous sh11 at the end really killed it. I would bet that Obama is an atheist, based on the logic he uses, and is actually faking it to get the Christian vote, although its hard to criticize him when one realizes that his career in politics would be absolutely dead the day he admitted it. Atheists rant in blogs; Christians get elected to office.

Obama says all the right things and says them well (save the last sentence), but it remains to be seen what actions will follow. He always hits it out of the park when speaking, but I'm not sure the American people are so convinced he is going to deliver on those words.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.