The 4th Branch of American Government??

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 8:27:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 7:17:18 PM, BDPershing wrote:
Don't know how many people have heard this term, but wandering if people know about it.

I've heard it applied to both the new media and the people themselves at times.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 8:28:10 PM
At 1/10/2015 8:27:57 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Don't know how many people have heard this term, but wandering if people know about it.

I've heard it applied to both the news media and the people themselves at times.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 9:13:26 PM

It's the bureaucracy. That's what political scientists say the 4th branch is.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 9:29:09 PM

What Clovis said.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 9:48:28 PM
At 1/10/2015 8:28:10 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:27:57 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I've heard it applied to both the news media and the people themselves at times.

I have heard it applied to the people of the united states more or less as an addition to the first 3 branches. Trying to state the people of america are also part of the government system, and needs to also act in the check and balance system. As for media I have only heard about the 3rd estate or 4th estate, not a branch.