Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Testing the Legislature

Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 4:49:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
From another site in which I googled:

"As we have repeatedly warned for years, the federal government is desperate to seize control of the Internet because the establishment is petrified at the fact that alternative and independent media outlets are now eclipsing corporate media outlets in terms of audience share, trust, and influence."

I'm a little unsure, actually, what to think about this right away because it is really an area in which we have little experience in. No real experience at all in the ramifications; whether this will be a savior in a time of crisis or a huge mistake.

What are the possible scenarios in which this would be a boon or a bane?

If we had a revolution, they would probably shut the net down to control us. That's probably my biggest concern, since obviously none of my ideas are likely without one.

Could it be preparation for the new era of modern electronic warfare?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 5:08:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 5:07:30 PM, badger wrote:
isn't the internet a global... ammm thing at this stage? what would you call it?

Well all the networks are connected, hmm...hard to say how this would work...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 6:36:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 6:31:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I don't think that even I would have advocated anything like this. Even as an authoritarian, mind you, I wasn't big on government interference in the economy.
You apostatized from authoritarianism?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 7:22:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 6:36:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/19/2010 6:31:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I don't think that even I would have advocated anything like this. Even as an authoritarian, mind you, I wasn't big on government interference in the economy.
You apostatized from authoritarianism?

You do realize that I've been an Objectivist for a rather long time, correct?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 7:25:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 7:22:14 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You do realize that I've been an Objectivist for a rather long time, correct?
It was more of a sarcastic question, and yes. I am not sure how strong you stand at your current position, though. Some people here keep changing their beliefs.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 7:33:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 7:25:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/19/2010 7:22:14 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You do realize that I've been an Objectivist for a rather long time, correct?
It was more of a sarcastic question, and yes. I am not sure how strong you stand at your current position, though. Some people here keep changing their beliefs.

Yea, like Freedo. He has been a socialist for awhile now though. I wonder if he'll stay there?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 7:42:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/19/2010 7:25:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/19/2010 7:22:14 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You do realize that I've been an Objectivist for a rather long time, correct?
It was more of a sarcastic question, and yes. I am not sure how strong you stand at your current position, though. Some people here keep changing their beliefs.

I'm not Freedo. Lol.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 9:28:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The U.S. government has the 'kill-switch' on a lot of things, airspace, roads, telephone lines, railroads, etc.

Yet, they rarely use them. This is in the event of a war I'm guessing.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 9:36:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 9:28:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The U.S. government has the 'kill-switch' on a lot of things, airspace, roads, telephone lines, railroads, etc.

Yet, they rarely use them. This is in the event of a war I'm guessing.

Kinda not the point.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 9:44:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If it's really just for "attacks are coming", here's a proposal. Put in the bill that if the power is used and no attack comes, the president gets executed by firing squad-- with a live internet feed for all to watch. No problem, right Lieberman, since it's only used when attacks are coming?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 12:14:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 9:44:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If it's really just for "attacks are coming", here's a proposal. Put in the bill that if the power is used and no attack comes, the president gets executed by firing squad-- with a live internet feed for all to watch. No problem, right Lieberman, since it's only used when attacks are coming?

That is essentially what should happen, though maybe less extreme. :D
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:03:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It could never possibly work. The internet always finds ways around regulation.

Nevertheless, we should probably blow up congress just to make sure. ;)
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:05:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 9:36:24 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 6/20/2010 9:28:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The U.S. government has the 'kill-switch' on a lot of things, airspace, roads, telephone lines, railroads, etc.

Yet, they rarely use them. This is in the event of a war I'm guessing.

Kinda not the point.

Kinda. If a war happens, the last thing you want is an EMP shutting down a live intent, and all the data going poof.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:06:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:05:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/20/2010 9:36:24 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 6/20/2010 9:28:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The U.S. government has the 'kill-switch' on a lot of things, airspace, roads, telephone lines, railroads, etc.

Yet, they rarely use them. This is in the event of a war I'm guessing.

Kinda not the point.

Kinda. If a war happens, the last thing you want is an EMP shutting down a live internet, and all the data going poof.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:12:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 9:44:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If it's really just for "attacks are coming", here's a proposal. Put in the bill that if the power is used and no attack comes, the president gets executed by firing squad-- with a live internet feed for all to watch. No problem, right Lieberman, since it's only used when attacks are coming?

This.

At 6/20/2010 1:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It could never possibly work. The internet always finds ways around regulation.

Oh ya? Tell that to the Iranians.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:14:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It could never possibly work. The internet always finds ways around regulation.

Nevertheless, we should probably blow up congress just to make sure. ;)

This isn't "regulation" - it's a total shutdown that's being proposed. The internet only survives by way of open servers and networks. The government, as do quite a few private companies, has the ability to close off these servers and networks to traffic. If this happens, then the only way to "get around" the shutdown is to rebuild the carrier pigeon population,.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:15:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:12:37 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

At 6/20/2010 1:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It could never possibly work. The internet always finds ways around regulation.

Oh ya? Tell that to the Iranians.

Yes, exactly, there's ways to get around it there too. It just a matter of people choosing to pursue it. It doesn't work in China either.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:16:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:15:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Yes, exactly, there's ways to get around it there too. It just a matter of people choosing to pursue it. It doesn't work in China either.

Which is why we have totally so heard a single peep from these people in the areas where there is a total shutdown.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:17:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:14:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/20/2010 1:03:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It could never possibly work. The internet always finds ways around regulation.

Nevertheless, we should probably blow up congress just to make sure. ;)

This isn't "regulation" - it's a total shutdown that's being proposed. The internet only survives by way of open servers and networks. The government, as do quite a few private companies, has the ability to close off these servers and networks to traffic. If this happens, then the only way to "get around" the shutdown is to rebuild the carrier pigeon population,.

Fine, I'll go get the dynamite..
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:19:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:17:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Do only corporations have control over all the servers?

I suspect a lot of the servers would, but here is also quite a large amount of government-run servers as well.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:21:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:19:12 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/20/2010 1:17:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Do only corporations have control over all the servers?

I suspect a lot of the servers would, but here is also quite a large amount of government-run servers as well.

Why don't the people build small stations all over the place for these servers like they do with with pirate radio?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:25:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:21:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Why don't the people build small stations all over the place for these servers like they do with with pirate radio?

Because radio =/= servers.

You need access to networks, both land-based and satellite, in order to run anything like this successfully, as far as I know. And these networks are totally owned by either corporations or governments, and its a little hard to lay down hundreds of miles of cable or launch a satellite without being noticed.

With radio, all you need is a transmitter.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:26:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I still don't know how they're going to be able to shut down the entire internet. Are they going to force all corporations who own servers to give them the on/off switch for their servers? Friggen gunverment...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:26:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:25:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/20/2010 1:21:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Why don't the people build small stations all over the place for these servers like they do with with pirate radio?

Because radio =/= servers.

You need access to networks, both land-based and satellite, in order to run anything like this successfully, as far as I know. And these networks are totally owned by either corporations or governments, and its a little hard to lay down hundreds of miles of cable or launch a satellite without being noticed.

With radio, all you need is a transmitter.

So there's no way to work the internet without satellites?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 1:29:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/20/2010 1:26:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
So there's no way to work the internet without satellites?

Or land-based networks, aka cable and phone lines.

You could set up lots of wireless routers, but you're still subject to the fact that the net will still be provided by one of those servers owned by a corporation or government.