Jump to topic:

Bill Cosby: Orchestrated Attacks?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:47:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
"Showbiz 411 reported that Phylicia Rashad, who played Clair Huxtable on NBC's "The Cosby Show," told the outlet that she never saw any indication of the behavior that many women have attributed to the legendary actor."

""Forget these women," Rashad said. "What you're seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it's orchestrated. I don't know why or who's doing it, but it's the legacy. And it's a legacy that is so important to the culture.""

http://www.cnn.com...

Discuss.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:27:06 AM
At 1/23/2015 7:47:13 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
"Showbiz 411 reported that Phylicia Rashad, who played Clair Huxtable on NBC's "The Cosby Show," told the outlet that she never saw any indication of the behavior that many women have attributed to the legendary actor."

""Forget these women," Rashad said. "What you're seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it's orchestrated. I don't know why or who's doing it, but it's the legacy. And it's a legacy that is so important to the culture.""

Discuss.

It's possible, but at the same time, we're up to 35 women now, so this orchestrated conspiracy, if there is one, is really running against the odds. Involving so many people without some kind of evidence leaking would be quite the challenge. I think a more likely explanation would be that some of these rapes are real, and some are just piling themselves on for personal reasons, like wanting attention or getting Cosby back for something.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:27:13 AM

Discuss.

What motivation would these women have for smearing Cosby?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:29:15 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:27:13 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Discuss.

Good question. There could be many reasons if you let your imagination run with it.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:30:14 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:27:06 AM, MyDinosaurHands wrote:

Discuss.

It's possible, but at the same time, we're up to 35 women now, so this orchestrated conspiracy, if there is one, is really running against the odds. Involving so many people without some kind of evidence leaking would be quite the challenge. I think a more likely explanation would be that some of these rapes are real, and some are just piling themselves on for personal reasons, like wanting attention or getting Cosby back for something.

Once you talk about # in an orchestrated attempt at deception, all you're talking about is $$$.
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:32:41 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:30:14 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

Once you talk about # in an orchestrated attempt at deception, all you're talking about is $$$.

That's true, but the bigger the conspiracy, the more fame comes to the person that blows the lid off the whole thing.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:33:25 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:32:41 AM, MyDinosaurHands wrote:
At 1/23/2015 8:30:14 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

That's true, but the bigger the conspiracy, the more fame comes to the person that blows the lid off the whole thing.

Not relevant to the damage done to the intended target.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:48:43 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:29:15 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

Good question. There could be many reasons if you let your imagination run with it.

I really can't think of any plausible reasons. I mean, maybe they were all trying to extort him for money, and he didn't pay up. But that just seems silly. Why on earth would they pick Cosby for that?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:57:59 AM
"Forget these women," Rashad said. "What you're seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it's orchestrated. I don't know why or who's doing it, but it's the legacy. And it's a legacy that is so important to the culture.""

Could that perhaps be why he's so resistant to accepting who Cosby really is? Does he really expect us to take him seriously?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:59:44 AM

Translation: "he didn't try to rape me! HAHAHAHHAA" Desperate nonsense.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:22:52 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:48:43 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Discuss.

I really can't think of any plausible reasons. I mean, maybe they were all trying to extort him for money, and he didn't pay up. But that just seems silly. Why on earth would they pick Cosby for that?

Cosby is an archetype of a clean, respectable black citizen. He's about as squeaky clean as you can get, really...his show was one of the most popular and respected family-oriented TV programs in the 80s. (http://en.wikipedia.org...) I'm not black and I loved that show.

Painting him in this manner destroys the image that blacks CAN be clean...the 80s was really the start of media portraying blacks as trustworthy, sociable middle class citizens. After all, before Cosby you had blaxploitation, blackface, and minstrel shows, with blacks portrayed as lazy, dirty, and untrustworthy -- compare Sanford and Sons, a show about junk dealers, with the Cosby show, a show about a gynecologist and his family. Smearing Cosby thus plays into a lot of racist scenarios. It would be akin to painting the Pope as a serial child molester and expecting people to respect Catholicism going forward. People attack bishops and priests all the time, but the Pope has never been charged with that crap.

At 1/23/2015 8:57:59 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
"Forget these women," Rashad said. "What you're seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it's orchestrated. I don't know why or who's doing it, but it's the legacy. And it's a legacy that is so important to the culture.""

Could that perhaps be why he's so resistant to accepting who Cosby really is? Does he really expect us to take him seriously?

Apparently you're wholly oblivious to Cosby's legacy. Rashad is a woman, the person who played Cosby's wife on the Cosby show. It is indeed a very enduring legacy...I and many others grew up watching that show.

---

I'm not saying that Cosby is guilty or innocent...just that these allegations have a LOT of cultural significance.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:25:32 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:22:52 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

Cosby is an archetype of a clean, respectable black citizen. He's about as squeaky clean as you can get, really...his show was one of the most popular and respected family-oriented TV programs in the 80s. (http://en.wikipedia.org...) I'm not black and I loved that show.

Painting him in this manner destroys the image that blacks CAN be clean...the 80s was really the start of media portraying blacks as trustworthy, sociable middle class citizens. After all, before Cosby you had blaxploitation, blackface, and minstrel shows, with blacks portrayed as lazy, dirty, and untrustworthy -- compare Sanford and Sons, a show about junk dealers, with the Cosby show, a show about a gynecologist and his family. Smearing Cosby thus plays into a lot of racist scenarios. It would be akin to painting the Pope as a serial child molester and expecting people to respect Catholicism going forward. People attack bishops and priests all the time, but the Pope has never been charged with that crap.

So all of those women are trying to damage the image of blacks? Oh common. That's just absurd. And anyway, aren't some of the women black??

Apparently you're wholly oblivious to Cosby's legacy. Rashad is a woman, the person who played Cosby's wife on the Cosby show. It is indeed a very enduring legacy...I and many others grew up watching that show.

Pretty much. I saw him live once, and that's about all I know of him. He's very funny when he's not out raping women.

---

I'm not saying that Cosby is guilty or innocent...just that these allegations have a LOT of cultural significance.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:27:20 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:25:32 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Discuss.

So all of those women are trying to damage the image of blacks? Oh common. That's just absurd. And anyway, aren't some of the women black??

Again, when it comes to #, it's all about $$$.

That some are black is not relevant to this argument. I'm sure you've heard of the expression "race traitors" before.

Pretty much. I saw him live once, and that's about all I know of him. He's very funny when he's not out raping women.

Right, lol...so the idea is that maybe he didn't go out raping women. =)
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:29:50 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:27:20 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

How do you propose these women went about recruiting others to their cause? You can't exactly ask someone "hey, wanna help us take down cosby cause fk blacks" and expect them to be silent if they decline.

That some are black is not relevant to this argument. I'm sure you've heard of the expression "race traitors" before.

Or maybe he's fking crazy.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:33:46 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:29:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

How do you propose these women went about recruiting others to their cause? You can't exactly ask someone "hey, wanna help us take down cosby cause fk blacks" and expect them to be silent if they decline.

Maybe the women were not the ones recruiting others. Maybe someone else, with a bone to pick against Cosby for whatever reason, someone or a group of people with a lot of money, went to an awful lot of trouble to destroy his legacy.

The idea is that you pick your recruits carefully. You don't ask people that you expect would say "no".

Really I find this exceptionally difficult to believe. IMHO it smacks of urban legend, akin to Mr. Rogers one day appearing on camera with a bunch of jailhouse tattoos wrestling Jesse Ventura onto the ground. Or maybe you don't know who Mr. Rogers is either, lol...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:37:37 AM

He's very funny when he's not out raping women.

BTW, just keep in mind...innocent until proven guilty. There's no real evidence, just allegations ATM.

---

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:38:02 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:33:46 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/23/2015 9:29:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Maybe the women were not the ones recruiting others. Maybe someone else, with a bone to pick against Cosby for whatever reason, someone or a group of people with a lot of money, went to an awful lot of trouble to destroy his legacy.

The idea is that you pick your recruits carefully. You don't ask people that you expect would say "no".

Did any of those women have a history of racism? Do any of them seem racist to you at all? I'm sorry, but this theory could only seem justified to someone totally unwilling to face the truth.

Really I find this exceptionally difficult to believe. IMHO it smacks of urban legend, akin to Mr. Rogers one day appearing on camera with a bunch of jailhouse tattoos wrestling Jesse Ventura onto the ground. Or maybe you don't know who Mr. Rogers is either, lol...

I think people underestimate how good some people are at living double lives.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:39:38 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:38:02 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Did any of those women have a history of racism? Do any of them seem racist to you at all? I'm sorry, but this theory could only seem justified to someone totally unwilling to face the truth.

The truth is he's innocent, if you want to go there. There's been no trial, just allegations. So you're really out of line accusing him of anything, unless you have a lawsuit pending against him.

Do you know who Mr. Rogers is?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:39:45 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:37:37 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

BTW, just keep in mind...innocent until proven guilty. There's no real evidence, just allegations ATM.

Perhaps that's true in a legal sense. But it's not just a "he said she said". It's a "he said fifty women said". That is all the evidence I need to make my conclusion.

---

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:40:35 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:39:45 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Perhaps that's true in a legal sense. But it's not just a "he said she said". It's a "he said fifty women said". That is all the evidence I need to make my conclusion.

Argument ad populum. Won't fly in a courtroom.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:41:14 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:39:38 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

The truth is he's innocent, if you want to go there. There's been no trial, just allegations. So you're really out of line accusing him of anything, unless you have a lawsuit pending against him.

Right. So OJ Simpson is also innocent, since he was only brought to trial but not convinced.

No.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:42:03 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:40:35 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/23/2015 9:39:45 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Argument ad populum. Won't fly in a courtroom.

The burden of proof in a courtroom is intentionally higher than necessary.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:42:17 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:41:14 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Right. So OJ Simpson is also innocent, since he was only brought to trial but not convinced.

Civil trial found him guilty.

No.

lol...you should look into that one, and ask yourself if Mr. Rogers has been living a double life as a battle-hardened Marine.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:42:57 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:42:17 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

And if it didn't?

No.

lol...you should look into that one, and ask yourself if Mr. Rogers has been living a double life as a battle-hardened Marine.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:44:30 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:42:57 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

And if it didn't?

Then we'd all have good reason to assume he was innocent.

No.

BTW, here's a link
http://urbanlegends.about.com...

Cosby being a rapist is about as believable as Mr Rogers being a Navy SEAL.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:45:35 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:44:30 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

And if it didn't?

lol. I think you've invented a new logically fallacy.

No.

BTW, here's a link

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:46:27 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:45:35 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

And if it didn't?

Bottom line is that you have no reasonable basis for your beliefs.

No.

BTW, here's a link

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:47:57 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:46:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/23/2015 9:45:35 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

And if it didn't?

Bottom line is that you have no reasonable basis for your beliefs.

So I'm unjustified in believing that it is more likely than not that Cosby is guilty? What do you base that on?

No.

BTW, here's a link

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 9:49:38 AM
At 1/23/2015 9:47:57 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/23/2015 9:46:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

So I'm unjustified in believing that it is more likely than not that Cosby is guilty? What do you base that on?

I do not enjoy repeating myself.

http://www.debate.org...