I have a question.

Chimera
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 5:26:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/26/2015 1:16:39 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
Do I have to always agree with Democrats to be a Liberal?

Liberal/conservative is a label about your political philosophy, whereas Democrat/Republican is a label about your partisan affiliations (aka what particular party you identify with). Parties themselves may have a platform, but don't necessarily espouse a particular philosophy that all members must abide by. Because of this, there are conservative Democrats, and liberal Republicans. However, a majority of liberals side with the Democrats, and a majority of conservatives side with the Republicans, so if you affiliate with either there will be pressure for you to associate with the values of the group.

However, you an also identify as a liberal or conservative but be an independent and have no particular partisan affiliation (in fact, a majority of American voters identify as independents). There are plenty of liberals who are critical of the Democratic Party, and you don't have to be a Democrat (nor agree with them) to be a liberal.

However, if you want my personal advice, stay away from all parties (not just the Republicans and Democrats) and voting in general. All they want is your vote so they can get into a position of power, they don't care about you or your life after that, they have their own agendas. The entire reason they run for office is for the sake of power, then they sell it to people as trying to do the right thing. Personally, I don't trust a single one of them, nor do I like voting, since (I think) it's just a sham to make us think we have power.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:06:59 PM

No. Are you asking because you are to the right or to the left of most Democrats?

Also what do you mean by "Liberal?" I assume you are referring to the modern association of the term that embraces left wing progressivism rather than the Classical Liberalism of Thomas Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans. Either way who is Liberal and who is not very problematic since the association with what is Liberal(and even Conservative) is constantly changing.

Would you consider John F. Kennedy, Harry Truman, and other Cold War Liberals to be Liberals? If so, I would state Cold War Liberals would not fit very well into the Democratic Party or very well into the current political spectrum due to political polarization and the abandonment of the regulars for ideologues. It reminds me of Senator Paul Tsongas last stand in 92' in many respects, he simply has no place in today's political spectrum at all. It is very interesting. I talk too much, sorry.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:53:50 PM

Liberals currently control the Democrat Party there is no other logical place for liberals be.

I think you question should be reversed. Supporters of political parties change over time, yet political philosophy remains basically the same. Many people are do not choose a party, their support is basic on political values, not party affiliation.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:56:43 PM

No two politicians agree on every single issue.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 9:44:32 AM

How does one agree with the Democrats? That's like agreeing with everything being said in an argument. There's no one thing to agree with.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:01:32 PM

No, nor do you have to be a Democrat to be liberal.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:07:45 PM
At 1/28/2015 1:01:32 PM, Wylted wrote:

Nor do you have to be liberal to be a Democrat. Just vote them and give them money.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:09:09 PM
At 1/28/2015 1:07:45 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Nor do you have to be liberal to be a Democrat. Just vote them and give them money.

Yay democracy :)
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:28:00 PM
At 1/28/2015 1:09:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/28/2015 1:07:45 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Yay democracy :)

Not democracy, just party.
Democrat is nothing more than a member of a specific political party, It means whatever they want it to mean.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 3:29:59 PM

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME. I SUPPOSE I SHALL CALL MYSELF A LIBERAL. :d
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 3:37:50 PM
At 1/26/2015 6:56:43 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

No two politicians agree on every single issue.

Are you sure?